Image Resizing Is Driving Me Nuts.

RocketMan

I have always manually adjusted the file size of my images before uploading to get them to display as large and clear as possible. Today, any images that I upload to a cache page are getting resized to 600 pixels wide no matter what the uploaded file size is! They are not supposed to get resized if they are under 125KB.

This in only happening to images that I upload on a cache page. Everything works as advertised in the cache logs. Here is an example:

This image was uploaded at 1000 pixels wide and 96KB file size. It is now 600 pixels wide. A fix to this problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rocket Man

I'm quite sure I've seen it stated that uploaded images are limited not only to 125K in file size, but 600 pixels in width.  I cannot speak for TPTB, but it seems obvious to me that a restriction on image width as well as file size is prudent.  1024x768 is probably the most common screen size these days.  Allowing for a certain amount of margin for scroll bars, window borders, and such, a 1000–pixel–wide image would not fit nicely on most people's screens.  It'd be great for those who have higher-resolution displays, but for most of us, it'd be a nuisance.  An overly-wide image screws up formatting for the entire page on which it appears, making it necessary to continually scroll back and forth horizontally to read the text.

You always can see a preview of the images before click to see the original size so this shouldn't be annoying for you, i think.

I used to resize my images to 800*600 under 121 Kbytes and saturday i noticed too that the webpage resizes the images to 600 anyways.

I currently have a screen dispaly with 1024*768 and 800*600 fits very well but i don't like see full sized images with obnly 600 pixels wide, in the folowing years we will have screen dispalys with more than 2000 pixels witdh and those images will be very small.

I currently have a screen dispaly with 1024*768 and 800*600 fits very well but i don't like see full sized images with obnly 600 pixels wide, in the folowing years we will have screen dispalys with more than 2000 pixels witdh and those images will be very small.

The solution to your problem may be to provide a link from your profile page to where you are hosting the full-sized images elsewhere.

A file size limitation makes sense, but an image (pixel) size limitation makes no sense at all. I like the fact that when you view a log with images, that the images show up as a 300x225 thumbnails. It makes sense that when you click on the thumbnail that you should be able to see the full resolution image as long as the file size is under the 125 kb limit (as not to be wasteful of server space). But to click on a thumbnail image only to get another resized image makes no sense at all.

Please don't limit image size!

I'm quite sure I've seen it stated that uploaded images are limited not only to 125K in file size, but 600 pixels in width.

There is only supposed to be a file size limitation, not a pixel width limitation. Here are some examples of larger than 600 pixel images:

From Cache Log Today

Travel Bug Log Today

Cache Page Upload from a While Back

Recent Cache Page Upload (Reduced to 600 pixels)

Rocket Man

Edited by Rocket Man
An overly-wide image screws up formatting for the entire page on which it appears, making it necessary to continually scroll back and forth horizontally to read the text.

This is not the case with images uploaded to logs and cache pages. The full size versions only show up in their own browser window. There is no text to screw up. Most browsers automatically adjust the image to fit in the browser window anyway. The higher the resolution the better in my book. RM

I have always manually adjusted the file size of my images before uploading to get them to display as large and clear as possible.  Today, any images that I upload to a cache page are getting resized to 600 pixels wide no matter what the uploaded file size is!  They are not supposed to get resized if they are under 125KB.

This in only happening to images that I upload on a cache page.  Everything works as advertised in the cache logs. ....

I can confirm that. Too bad. I made a post for that reason already last year, but it seems to be still the same story. As far as I remember this problem was launched then. :blink:

Regards,

Roger (from Germany)

That's not true. Image dimension limitations do make sense because page layout is dictated by a website's style/design.

I'm referring to the image when you click on a thumbnail image in the logs. It opens up the image (only) on a page that has NO layout/style/design. With most browsers resizing an image that is too large to fit the screen anyway, there is no reason not to let people upload images to logs that are as wide as they want, as long as they are under the 125 kb limit.

Edited by Team GeoDillo
I have verified the issue. It seems to be specific to cache listings. I'll apply the fix in the next patch.

Any progress on the patch? I have to post aerial maps to cache logs instead of the cache page itself to get around the 600 pixel resizing.

Thanks,

RM