Preserving Transparent Lcd Covers

Heyo. Just a wee tip that maybe has not been mentioned. To preserve the "virginity" of the window of a GPS (or any other instrument with an electronic display) I have been using either transparent packing tape or laminating sheets. If you are very careful about laying the sheets down over the display (avoiding bubbles and such) you can cover the display with a few layers of this tape. And as the tape or laminate becomes marred, just peel off the top layer. Or, you can just keep a layer of the stuff over the display, and peel it off when you need to get a really good look at what is going on there, then press it back into place. This is something I started doing years ago, when I got my first digital camera and realized that it would be hugely expensive to replace the "crystal" over the LCD screens on my cameras.

Good idea. As much as I enjoy bashing up my equipment, I get annoyed when I get a scratch or ding in the screen. I have so far kept my GPS in the neoprene case so I can clip it to a strap, so the window is protected but the upper edges are nicely dinged and scratched. My radio is banged up too and the paint is chipped. I like the 'experienced' look and feel of my equipment, as long as it is still easily operable and the display parts remain undamaged. Minor cosmetic damage is cool.

Funny thing about that, I got a nice watch about 3 years ago and it has a sapphire crystal. The metal band and case of the watch are very scratched, dinged, and generally worn from years of daily wear, but the crystal is still immaculate. They oughta make lcd covers and stuff out of sapphire, its hardness is just less than that of diamond. Price would be an issue though, but if it's used in a high-stress environment it might pay for itself B)

...sapphire crystal.  Price would be an issue though...

The way that was explained to me was: Sapphire crystal IS really hard, but once it is scratched, it is ruined. Acrylic, or some sort of plastic is softer, but can usually be repaired or replaced cheaply, though.

Spend a lot now for a tough crystal on a nice watch and hope you don't scratch it, or spend a little and repair/replace as needed.

I just use the case that I bought for a few bucks. It was made by the company that made my GPS and is a lot better at protecting the very expensive equipment than some packing tape.

I don't understand paying anywhere from $100-$500 on a piece of equipment and not spending$3-$10 more to protect it.

I used the plastic screen covers made for PDAs and cut them to size. They have the advantage of not leaving a sticky, glue residue on the screen and can easily be removed and replaced as needed.

I've since purchased the mfrs. carrying case which has a built in screen cover.

BrainSnat has the right idea here.

Warning ! ! !

DO NOT USE TAPE OR ANY OTHER ADHEASIVE ON ANY LCD SCREEN.

You will damage your LCD screen when you remove the tape. The LCD is made up of layers of very thin glass. It cannot take the stress of the pulling of the tape to remove it.

Use the non-adheasive PDA screen covers. I saw some BELKIN screen covers the other day in the Dollar store. A whole wall of their products. Odd but true. A whole package of 6 for $1.00 - you can probably get 4 out of one PDA screen cover for a GPS (depending on the size of your GPS screen of course).

If you doubt me, search the web for horror stories. Not sure if they are still around - that was several years ago.

------

I bought the $15 case - Neoprene (like wet suit) with clear vinyl window for screen and buttons. A bit of a pain at times but I love it. Dropped it once - bounced a little didn't even hear it. Very protective.

I agree with previous person - I think it is pretty dumb to buy a $200 plus item of any type and not add the #10 to 20 case to protect it.

Please do NOT use tape on your LCD screen to protect it.

As a note here, how many of you use flat panels - laptops - etc. and when you just touch it to take a fleck or whatever off or just wipe dust off - see that it deforms and messes up the image - that is how sensitive and fragile that display is. Now, put some of that tape on the inside of your arm and pull it off - see how it pulls your skin. Do you want to put that kind of stress on your LCD? Thought not!

:D:D:D

Edited by CompuCash

Not only what CompuCache said, but packing tape is really bad to pull off of ANYTHING if you leave it on for too long. And if you're pulling it off to see the screen because you can't see it through tape, imagine how bad it's going to be when the screen's still sticky and then you walk through a spider web or drop it in dirt, etc...

Not only what CompuCache said, but packing tape is really bad to pull off of ANYTHING if you leave it on for too long. And if you're pulling it off to see the screen because you can't see it through tape, imagine how bad it's going to be when the screen's still sticky and then you walk through a spider web or drop it in dirt, etc...

thank you -

And that packing tape - which I use all the time for 'laminating' - if left on for any length of time leaves half the adheasive on what ever it was attached to. Like fly said - but you just can't get that stuff off without some chemicals that I'd not want to put on my GPS or much of anything else either. We have some around work and it smells like it is some pretty rough stuff.

Not only what CompuCache said, but packing tape is really bad to pull off of ANYTHING if you leave it on for too long.  And if you're pulling it off to see the screen because you can't see it through tape, imagine how bad it's going to be when the screen's still sticky and then you walk through a spider web or drop it in dirt, etc...

thank you -

And that packing tape - which I use all the time for 'laminating' - if left on for any length of time leaves half the adheasive on what ever it was attached to. Like fly said - but you just can't get that stuff off without some chemicals that I'd not want to put on my GPS or much of anything else either. We have some around work and it smells like it is some pretty rough stuff.

Actually, Avon Skin So Soft or rubbing alcohol would take it off, but I'm quite sure that cachers don't carry it around just for kicks. And since the tape can ruin the screen anyway, I'd certainly not want to chance it.... Remember, the case is waterproof, but if the glass cracks/chips then you do something, you could get liquid inside your receiver, and then your 12 cent solution will cost you $200 for a new receiver.