Software For Garmin Etrex Legend

I recently bought the MapSource mapping data for my Garmin eTrex Legend. I have been using it successfully for over a year and wanted to get more detailed mapping information. During the installation process, the computer told me I needed to install an update, which I happened to have previously downloaded. I began the update, but noticed that the status window on the computer (or was it the GPS) was showing something about erasing data. Since the computer window gave me the option of "abort", I decided to try that and download all my saved waypoints and tracks. Oh, I am sooooo sick now -- it appears that I am halfway between both problems. I have no software in my Garmin and I can't upload the update because the computer won't recognize the GPS. I can't remember, but I do not believe there was any software disk that came with the GPS (I'm not at home to look right now). Is there any option I have beside sending this unit back to Garmin? Does anyone have good information? I have e-mailed Garmin tech support but it will be a few days before I get an answer. I was planning to use the GPS this weekend on a hiking trip and I need to figure out if I need to find other solutions.

I have no software in my Garmin and I can't upload the update because the computer won't recognize the GPS.

What are you using for software on the PC?

Have you tried easyGPS to upload and save your waypoints from the Legend to the PC?

Does the legend still have your waypoints on it?

For the PC, I am using Windows XP -- but that isn't the problem. The GPS is the one saying the software is missing. I have used easyGPS prior to buying the mapping software, and I was very happy with it. If my waypoints are still in there, I can't get to them because the GPS won't "boot up".

For the PC, I am using Windows XP -- but that isn't the problem. The GPS is the one saying the software is missing. I have used easyGPS prior to buying the mapping software, and I was very happy with it. If my waypoints are still in there, I can't get to them because the GPS won't "boot up".

Have you considered um 'master reset' on the gps (thats the right word isn't it?). It will delete all your waypoints,routes,etc, but if you can't get it to turn on it you can't use at anytime including this weekend....

Also, what 'software' is the gps missing????? If you mean the firmware stuff, you should be able to download and install the newest version upgrad from the garmin website B)

"Master Reset" what's that and where is it? I'll take a gross! I don't really care about the waypoints I hade stored -- nothing terribly important that I can't put back in later. I guess the software that is missing is the firmware, but I am not sure -- all the GPS says on its screen is "SOFTWARE MISSING". I have the latest firmware update and the aborted installation is what got me into this problem in the first place.

"Master Reset" what's that and where is it? I'll take a gross! I don't really care about the waypoints I hade stored -- nothing terribly important that I can't put back in later. I guess the software that is missing is the firmware, but I am not sure -- all the GPS says on its screen is "SOFTWARE MISSING". I have the latest firmware update and the aborted installation is what got me into this problem in the first place.

Hmm it certainly sounds like you managed to mess it up... B)

I've never done the reset, but this recent thread gives the insturctions. disclaimer: I think Garmin actually warns about using the reset only as a last resort because it could kill your unit, so be warned!!

I must have been writing my last and you were sending yours. I did try what that the thread suggested -- no dice. We'll see what Garmin says in the morning. Thanks.

Well good luck with the garmin people, hope they can get it fixed quick (and cheap $$ B))

As far as I can tell from your description, you've managed to erase the firmware from the GPS, but then cancelled the installation of a new version.

If I'm right, then the only chance is if you can pick up the installation from where you left it.

Download the latest update of the firmware for the Legend (unless you already have it).

Unpack and then try running the updater program in that package. If that program can't access your GPS, then you're done. Then you'll have to send it back to Garmin to get it reincarnated.

Download the latest update of the firmware for the Legend (unless you already have it).

Unpack and then try running the updater program in that package. If that program can't access your GPS, then you're done. Then you'll have to send it back to Garmin to get it reincarnated.

Most electronic gadgets that have flashable ROM/firmware have two separate pieces that control the device. The first piece is a small boot loader that prepares the device for operation and handles flashing. The second piece is the OS/Firmware/software/whatever.

When you update your device, you are only updating the second piece. The boot loader does not go away and you shouldn't be able to damage it in the flash process. Replacing it usually requires making a physical change to the device (open or close a switch). You really have nothing to lose by trying to re-install the firmware. If it fails, call Garmin and tell them that you've munged it. If the unit is more than a year old, they will probably charge you for fixing it.

Good luck