Secret Geocachers Greeting?

AvantBard

Hey all,

I'm a definite newbie here (1 found), but already I've got a question for the Geocaching community:

Is there an established way of greeting other people you find near a cache site that would identify you as a fellow geocacher (assuming the other person was in-the-know)? I'm thinking something like a greeting/response pair that we'd use to recognize each other but not give ourselves away to Muggles.

Example: Bob is near the cache site and sees Alice sitting on a nearby rock. "The kangaroo is dead and moldy," says Bob. Alice recognizes this coded phrase and replies "Yes, but it tastes like chicken."

Note: these example phrases have been chosen to make a point and are NOT a suggested greeting/response pair. =-)

So, does anything like this exist yet, and if not, should we come up with a standard?

I believe the standard we agreed on was when meeting another geocacher, one was to yell "Ho, are ye a geocacher?" and the correct response is "Yay, a geocacher I am".

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left hand on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". At least that's the way we do it in New Jersey.

I believe the standard we agreed on was when meeting another geocacher, one was to yell "Ho, are ye a geocacher?" and the correct response is "Yay, a geocacher I am".

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left hand on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". At least that's the way we do it in New Jersey.

Well seeing as I am new to this whole thing, and based in New Jersey, I will be sure to run right out and try this on the next suspected geocacher I see. <_<

Well seeing as I am new to this whole thing, and based in New Jersey, I will be sure to run right out and try this on the next suspected geocacher I see. <_<

Well remember it for when we run into each other.

Wow, it's deja vu all over again. I think I am supposed to spike your warn meter for repeating yourself, but hey, it's your post count, not mine.

I thought we didn't have warn meters anymore. :ph34r:

But, to be on subject, more or less.

I usually pretend that I'm not a geocacher. I'll hide my GPSr and see how the other cachers respond to a muggle in the area.

Mean and nasty, but fun. :lol:

LOL !!!

That is NOTHING like we do it in Maryland. I would laugh you out of the woods if I saw you do that.......

We use the RIGHT hand on the other person's LEFT shoulder!! :ph34r:

I'm in Jersey too. It's nice to see some of you fine folks in the forums. Hope I'll run into you while caching. I'm writing this down "Geocachers are we! Runy ....."  :lol:

Wait, don't!!!! I was only kidding. Sheesh, newbies take everything so seriously :ph34r: .

Edited by briansnat

Dang. In Indiana we just do the "Fish-Slapping Dance"

The tough part is keeping a supply of fish in my pack.

Hey all,

I'm a definite newbie here (1 found), but already I've got a question for the Geocaching community:

Is there an established way of greeting other people you find near a cache site that would identify you as a fellow geocacher (assuming the other person was in-the-know)?  I'm thinking something like a greeting/response pair that we'd use to recognize each other but not give ourselves away to Muggles.

Example:  Bob is near the cache site and sees Alice sitting on a nearby rock.  "The kangaroo is dead and moldy," says Bob.  Alice recognizes this coded phrase and replies "Yes, but it tastes like chicken."

Note: these example phrases have been chosen to make a point and are NOT a suggested greeting/response pair. =-)

So, does anything like this exist yet, and if not, should we come up with a standard?

It used to be a classic....hand under chin with index finger extended/thumb up. Now.....

0c237436-c3dc-4675-b8cf-04de0131a588.jpg

This link should explain the 'hand signal more.

Really, Welcome to the world of the forums...crazy people reside here.

We do have fun.

A serious answer is...whatever seems appropriate at the moment. The way we have done it is to ask...Are you Geocaching? Most of the time we get yup! But is you do not get the affrimative, just turn away & leave...let them wonder...... :ph34r:

Shirley~

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

If I see somone poking about a cache site, I simply ask, "have you found it yet??' If they ask me, "Found what?" or look at me like I have lost my mind, then I simply go on. Otherwise, I introduce myself, give them a tip, if they want it, find a place to sit and wait till they have found the cache.

Oh, and holding up your unit ( gpsr that is :rolleyes: ) is a pretty well universal caching ID/handshake...

This picture (sometimes avitar) of Jeremy is the standard signal, but since only, what?, 2 or 3 percent of all registered cachers lurk (or post) in the forums, you have a pretty good chance of them not getting it, even if they are cachers. Subtly exposing yourself (your GPSr, that is) may be your best bet.
I believe the standard we agreed on was when meeting another geocacher, one was to yell "Ho, are ye a geocacher?"

I tried that last weekend...

She slapped me and replied with 'Who you callin' a..."

Maybe we need to change that to "HARK, are ye a geocacher?"

Ed

Edited by The Badge & the Butterfly
I believe the standard we agreed on was when meeting another geocacher, one was to yell "Ho, are ye a geocacher?"

I tried that last weekend...

She slapped me and replied with 'Who you callin' a..."

Maybe we need to change that to "HARK, are ye a geocacher?"

Ed

Ya - OK butterfly -

I think that was supposed to be "Yo!" wasn't it?

:lol::o:lol::lol:

deja vu all over again

Hey keystone - isn't that redundant?

I work for the "Department of Redundancy Department," and that definitely is.

:lol: Hey, if the Cleveland Indians keep up this pace just a few more days, I'm changin' all my swag to Indians paraphenalia. And Chief Wahoo will be the official mascot.