Ghillie Suit Cache Container Camouflage.

Zartimus

I've been wanting to try this for awhile. I love the look of this stuff every time I see it on Military Snipers in some documentary. It breaks up so well in front of almost anything!

These pictures were taken just after sunset so I had to use a flash which glares the camo effect somewhat, but in natural light, it looks like the bee's knees. It's natural burlap with forest green dyed striped sewn onto a slip-on fitted to the cache container.

08c89d06-0bb0-43e2-94b4-6a713d3e3100.jpg

You just pull the suit over the container. The more it grungles up over time, gets wet, bugs move into it, small mammels nest there, etc. The better it will look.

f6370a2e-2760-4177-9592-a6066f2976df.jpg

Used it on my new cache Petrie Island SNork (awaiting approval).

Edited by Zartimus
It's natural burlap with forest green dyed striped sewn onto a slip-on fitted to the cache container.

I saw some of this in a store, but didn't have the cache...er...cash...at the time to buy any. When I went back a week or so later, it was gone, but I'm watching the bottom shelf of that store and plan to buy some when it shows up again. Great camo job!

I used a brown towel that I shredded and glued over a small container. I placed it near a white pine with alot of dead pine needles already on the ground. Lay it in plain view or throw a few dead needles over it and its gone! I took people out to it and they alomost stepped on top of it! Loads of fun!

One of the most effective and most economical "Ghillie" suites I've seen on a cache was just a big old dark green garbage bag wrapped around a container. The cache was only half hidden, but blended into the ferns surprizing well. Sorry, no picture.

Don't they do that in one state? Put the cache in a garbage bags, much to the chagrin of nearby out-of-state cachers. It's like one guy did it and every cacher afterwards thought that a cache had to be in a garbage bag or something..

I dunno, wouldn't that look too much like..Garbage?

I love the idea of the cache-mouflage :o

The only problem is with cache container placement. I found that the cache container stood out quite a bit when I looked for your cache, Zartimus. The problem is the green amongst the tree trunk. On the ground and amonst grass, the cache container would be entirely invisible!!

I have a ghilie suit myself - used it many times in a previous "stage of life". They can take quite some time to make properly! I would suggest that after you sew the burlap strips on, toss the camo in the dryer for a couple of cycles - makes the burlap become more like fur and less "square".

The principle of operation behind a ghilie suit is that even the darkest black dye is nowhere near as dark as a shadow & so the ghilie suit allows for natural shadows which break up the human form (as do all of the "threads"). The colour must also match - I'd reccomend 80% green, 15% brown and 5% black for a killer (pardon the pun) result.

I have a ghille cache in place right now also. It really breaks up the silhouette of a container. The container was painted flat black. I took rotton burlap which I have aged for quite some time and shreaded it up in to rough pieces which I laced around the cache with bailing wire. Then since the lid and neck are still exposed I epoxyed a chunk of burlap to the lid that over hangs in all directions but should clear the threads. The burlap was then painted OD green which was not really needed, but what the hey...

The only problem is with cache container placement. I found that the cache container stood out quite a bit when I looked for your cache, Zartimus. The problem is the green amongst the tree trunk. On the ground and amonst grass, the cache container would be entirely invisible!!

Yeah, I was goimg for the tree-stuff, you know, for winter-freindly (not that many are gonna do that one in the wintertime, unless thy cut a hole in the ice to read the re-direct, etc.., Then I saw how nice it looked on the ground and was going to leave it there as a dettriment to winter finding perhaps, but that island floats caches away sometimes, and I didn't have any rope or tie. I may go back and move it down low when I go to check the tag.

Glad you liked it, and thanks for the tip about the dryer.