Timestamps In Gpx Incorrect

Team DEMP

In a forum related to one of the GPX applications, we had a discussion about timestamps and I took a quick look and there is an inconsistency in how the site is generating the time stamp it places in a GPX file.

I looked at a GPX file for a PQ I received zipped yesterday. It has a time of <time>2004-08-21T10:49:05.8112188-07:00</time> which is the date/time of the GPX timestamp in the zip archive as well as the time I received it (+3 hours since I'm ET). All 3 matched - time in the GPX, time of the GPX in the ZIP and the time I received the email.

Now I just downloaded an individual GPX file from a cache page. It's about 5:50am (early but had to wake up early and meet someone for a 7am 10+ mile hike today). 5:50am ET is 2:50am PT and the time in the GPX file is...

<time>2004-08-22T09:50:55.8713947-07:00</time>

which is not correct. 9:50am -7 (PT) = 12:50pm -5 (ET). The individual GPX looks to be using GMT and not PT as the generated PQ does and as the TZ in the <time> tag indicates.

David

I'm bumping up this really old topic as I just D/led three gpx files by hand and they had the correct found date but the time found all has the same time, 07:00 as mentioned above.

It would be much more useful if this gave the time of when we logged. While I understand that people log days/weeks/months later, those of us who log their caches in order would then be able to sort our finds easier with secondary programs.

Even when I log a caches a week late, I still tend to log them in order...