Log Or Not To Log?

SFC & WENDY

I just wanted to post a note for those who think Geocaching is just about logging an entry. I too enjoy seeing the numbers increase in my profile. But I find it very boring and disinteresting to find microcaches stuck to guardrails, lightposts, or even in the ground. Why not put a little thought into the cache and make it mean something? The meaning of the cache can be a clue in itself. I have found caches in parking lots and behind retail stores with no point or focus and it really takes some of the fun out of it. Especially if it is rated really easy like a bunc around my area. If the hunt is challenging, has meaning, or looks as though some thought was put into it I think it can be more fun! If you want to log numbers put some effort into it and look. I know it takes all kinds, but this is my challenge to keep gecaching fun!

Amen. I agree.

An interesting urban micro is one thing. One hidden in plain sight, where muggles pass by within two feet yet remain unaware because of a creative cammo job. That's great. A 35mm film can hidden in the woods where you could easily stash a 24 gallon rubbermaid action packer? That's a lame cache.

I'm *this* close to filtering out all micros from my pocket query results.

Lame micros are a pox on this sport.

(edit to add: That being said, I'll say that we should protect our right to place caches of all kinds, including lame ones, and we should by all means encourage our hiders to place creative and fun hides of all sizes, but ultimately it's up to us as finders to filter out those we don't want to do. I don't want to see any prohibition on lame micros.)

Edited by lowracer

I'm not too sure that I get it.

I mean, it looks like you may live sort of "out there" like I do. Urban micros should not be such a problem. I short of avoid them too, but then, I have to travel an hour just to start cachin'. I grab the occasional micro. I even own one.

But give me a half mile walk in the woods for an ammo box (and I don't care what's in it if I can sign the log), and, as much as possible, somethin' worth lookin' at (sorry, dangling preposition).

Perhaps you work in the city and cache before you go home?

Today, I did Just Another Lamé Micro. Yeah, it really was lamé.

I love the numbers, but I realized early on that I was never going to have stratospheric numbers. I made up my mind that I wasn't going to do them all, that I was only interested in a certain kind of experience and that I wanted to be able to look back and vividly remember every single one of the caches I've done.

Long about 50, I limited myself to four or fewer on a caching day. I promised myself when I hit 100, I was going to aim for one a day (not counting quick ones I might pick up along the way and trails with multiple caches). I want to do everything fun I see along the way...stop at diners, visit old cemetaries, go to the flea market or the fair. Take more pictures. Write good logs. I missed way too many good things trying to wash the newbie off, and "wasted" too many great hikes.

I hit 99 today, by the way :lol:

And so, how the heck do you jazz up a parking lot micro? Better container? Better swag? More hype in the form of a massive puzzle to find, what exactly do you want? A well thought out parking lot micro?

The thing is generally the caches you are complaining about don't stop the caches that you do like from being placed. The caches you like to do are out there but it's goint to take a little discression on your part.

Mostly I find you get out of caching what you bring to it. But that's true for people as well.

I just wanted to post a note for those who think Geocaching is just about logging an entry. I too enjoy seeing the numbers increase in my profile. But I find it very boring and disinteresting to find microcaches stuck to guardrails, lightposts, or even in the ground. Why not put a little thought into the cache and make it mean something?

Come to New England! We were 80% cleared at the turn of the (last) century, but now the forest has reclaimed all but 20% of the land. Our cachers specialize in hiding normal sized caches in the woods. Multi's are rampant, with wonderful hikes available in most every town.

Micro spew has spread close off to the south, but I have not seen an actual infection break out in CT, RI, MA, VT, NH, or ME. Yes, one of these days, four male cachers might get together and realize that if they all hide 50 film canisters while leaning out their car windows, they can each "find" the other 150, or 250, or even 750! (TN).

Hey, America started here. We won't let the newbies compromise our standards.

-WR