Anyone Use The Garmin Ique Gps/pda?

TroutGuy78

I've seen these Garmin iQue 3200 and 3600 that are both GPS units and a PDAs. It seems that it would be a dream for pocket queries. But I'm curious if it works that well in the "field," you know. Will it navigate well enough to locate a cache? Right now I'm using an eTrex Vista, and I like it, but I think I read that the iQue doesn't even have a compass. Does anyone have one of these hybrids or know enough about them to make a sound suggestion?

Edited by TroutGuy78

I've got a non-caching friend who has one and while it has a lot of nice features, it looks fragile. Based on the number of times I've dropped my GPS, I'd be nervous taking it into the field. If you plan on leaving it in the car while on the hunt, I think it would be fine.

I would recommend a used e-bay PDA for geocaching. I've got an old Handspring that I picked up for $20 and it works fine. For that price, I consider it disposable.

I most certainly wouldn't try to replace my stand alone GPS with a iQue. With as many times as our GPS units and PDA been dropped? No way!

I'm thinking the best niche for it is a laptop replacement. Getting you from parking to parking. They have a CF card GPS for PPCs, too. If I carried one in the field it would have a sturdy case like a Pelican case or similar and not be used as a GPS to find the cache. Only used in the field as a way to carry the cache data.

I have an iQue that is really good for navigation in the car. I usually cache alone and it's voice commands help with making turns.

When I park the car though, the iQue gets hidden and I break out the Legend. The iQue is not remotely waterproof and in GPS mode, the batteries only last about 2 hours.

They're nice, but for geocaching, you're probably better off with a cheap GPS and a cheap PDA.

I agree with most of the posts that using a dedicated GPS like my Vista is best in the field. Is use my Pocket PC for the "paperless" cache pages part.

I'll keep the PPC in my pocket while using the Vista for the hiking portion.

However, one area that the PPC with a CF GPS card ayttached shines is I can have 24K topo maps from National Geographic. So I can see my actual location with better, colored topo maps something a dedicated GPS won't give you for most places in the country..

I use an iQue 3600 for everything including Geocaching. I had stopped caching for awhile when my older GPS broke. I have been using the iQue now for about 3 weeks and it is awesome. Although I agree with some other posts about waterproofing, WestMarine sells a $10 pouch specifically for the iQue that allows screen taps, etc. As far as being fragile, I have not dropped mine yet and don't plan to test it out if I can help it.

The battery lasts about 2.5 hours when the screen is set to medium brightness and the WAAS is enabled. This might not sound like enough, but the sync time is pretty fast so you don't have to leave it on for your entire hike.

The maps are the absolute most accurate (I have used products from Delorme, Magellan, and Rand McNally and they just don't cut it). The ability to install Palm apps for pocketqueries makes organizing and planning caches easy. Also, the shareware app cacheMate along with cacheNav allows you to download .gpx files into the iQue, export the locations to the Garmin map as little treasure chests (or whatever), and set voice routes to the points.

I will probably never buy another brand of GPS again.

If anyone wants some pics of the iQue in action on geocaches, benchmarks, etc., just contact me through the geocaching site and I will email them to you.

Edited by nvrlost

I carry an iQUE 3600 myself, though I am new to geocaching. There is a cache about .7 miles from my house that I will seek tomorrow. I will also agree that water would be a bit of a problem for the unit, though I have had a couple drops hit it in rain use (I took it to Niagara Falls, and thank GOD! Without it, and it's voice navigation abilities, it would've been a nightmare to get from one place to another.). As far as dropping it, well...I have not tested that either. I do know some watertight cases also have a strap attached, so that could be hooked to a belt loop, or as I've done with other things in the past, to a strong wristband. Eventually, most things will be dropped somehow. I just plan on picking up a watertight case, with strap, and hopefully some cushioning as well. I also have used a Magellan SporTrak PRO a few times, and they are much mroe rugged. I prefer the advanced capabilities of the iQue, though I've never gone long enough anywhere without charging to see how taxed the batteries would be. Then again, I'm also a compass type of guy too, so I'll probably get an idea of where I'm going, and just use the unit to get a fix on my position here and there. But that's my opinion.

I carry an iQUE 3600 myself, though I am new to geocaching. There is a cache about .7 miles from my house that I will seek tomorrow. I will also agree that water would be a bit of a problem for the unit, though I have had a couple drops hit it in rain use (I took it to Niagara Falls, and thank GOD! Without it, and it's voice navigation abilities, it would've been a nightmare to get from one place to another.). As far as dropping it, well...I have not tested that either. I do know some watertight cases also have a strap attached, so that could be hooked to a belt loop, or as I've done with other things in the past, to a strong wristband. Eventually, most things will be dropped somehow. I just plan on picking up a watertight case, with strap, and hopefully some cushioning as well. I also have used a Magellan SporTrak PRO a few times, and they are much mroe rugged. I prefer the advanced capabilities of the iQue, though I've never gone long enough anywhere without charging to see how taxed the batteries would be. Then again, I'm also a compass type of guy too, so I'll probably get an idea of where I'm going, and just use the unit to get a fix on my position here and there. But that's my opinion.