Logic Behind Cache Ids

What is the basis of the "geo names" for example GCKKT1, or BM77531

I figure the GC is a geocache and BM is benchmark, but how are the alphanumeric characters generated that follow the GC or BM?

Reason I am asking I have a bunch of waypoints saved that I need to name in a similar fashion (standardization).

Edited by earthshaker

After the GC, the next digits are sequentially increasing as new cache waypoints are added.

Therefore if the newest cache is called GC33A4 then the next cache submitted to the system is called GC33A5. After you get to GC33A9 then you get GC33AA and you go through the alphabet (although not all letters are used).

If you have your own waypoints to save, maybe you can consider calling them ES0001, ES0002 and so forth (for "EarthShaker").

It's a modified base-31 scheme using the following:

0123456789ABCDEFGHJKMNPQRTVWXYZ

Every cache has a sequential number attached to it. Back in the 'ol days, the 4 characters after the "GC" were simply a straight base-16 conversion of that number. Everything after GCFFFF is calculated using base-31. There's a fudge-factor that has to be considered, that takes care of the gap created when the conversion schemes were switched over. You have to add or subtract 411120, depending on which way you're converting, if you're using the base-31 scheme.

If you're wondering, the letters ILOSU were omitted to prevent accidently creating, shall we say, unfortunately named cache IDs. In English, at least.

Edited by Prime Suspect
Sounds complicated, I think I will use my two letter 3 number scheme, all I need to do is track it, thanks for the info, I will play around with it til I figure it out.

Are you planning on storing the waypoints in a data base? Otherwise I'd stick with some kind of plain naming convention. ie; moms house would be "moms", your house would be "home", "camp".

Class codes are another option:

BC - Base camp

FH - Fishing hole

P - parking

Ex:bc01, bc02,bc03 would different base camps

If you're wondering, the letters ILOSU were omitted to prevent accidently creating, shall we say, unfortunately named cache IDs. In English, at least.

Not only words that might accidentally form, but it also avoids confusion between letters and numbers. Knowing that "O" is not used is very helpful.

I store my way points with a date such as 041011. 04 being the year, 10 the month and 11 the day. Using this system the waypoints stay in order by date. So now I have "041010pitstop" save for the cache called "Pit Stop" and the day I found it. For multiple caches found on the same day I add a sequntial letter behind the last number. I've never found more than 26 caches in a day so the letter works fine for me. :unsure: