Cache Gets 911 Call

St.Brendan

I have part ownership of a cache (GCJXBN) that got someone frightened enough to call 911. I wasn't there but the other owner was, he lives nearby, and was fortunatly able to stop a call to the bomb squad and the FBI. The officers involved once they knew the situation was harmless were actually a little embarassed.

Has this ever happend before? We're going to put a geocache sticker on the cache but it is still a small cylinder wraped in cammo tape. :unsure: Will a geocache sticker be enough?

We're going to put a geocache sticker on the cache but it is still a small cylinder wraped in cammo tape. :unsure: Will a geocache sticker be enough?

As long as it doesn't say "This is a BOMB!" , no one would ever just assume that it is...

The best way to avoid the bomb squad is to hide it well enough that a muggle won't find it and start a panic. Or if its in a park, let someone know its there so that they can defuse the situation.

There have been quite a few "pipe bombs" that were later determined to be geocaches that were exploded by bomb squads after being found in the woods. It doesn't matter if it's NYC or the middle of the Montana ranges, if it's found and looks like an IED, they'll treat it as such.

Unfortunately, all bomb squads are not equipped with the latest x-ray equipment. Those that are usually do not detonate notebooks, pens, and golf balls.

If you're going to hide a pipe bomb-like cache, then you need to make sure *only* geocachers will find it, or risk having it destroyed by the police for safety.

I'm starting to think there are regional diffrences on who gets the call, or how they choose to respond. The incidents that I'm aware of in Idaho are where they get called in as drug stashes. Not bombs.

Then the police come and find out it's part of 'that game' and everyone goes home. On the other than funny looking packages being hauled by Semi's will shut down half the town.

Edited by Renegade Knight