Avoid Cobra Gps500

KenFelt

I made a big mistake. I read an article on Geocaching, and decided to start immediately. I have an account at a local truck stop, and I purchased a Cobra GPS500. It works well enough for general navigation, it allows downloading of waypoints and tracks from mapping software, all pretty nice for under $150.

HOWEVER: it has one fatal flaw that makes it totally unsuitable for Geocaching. When you get within 500 feet of your destination it displays a message "YOU HAVE ARRIVED AT YOUR DESTINATION", and terminates your "goto" session. Any geocacher you ask will tell you that other GPS units, like the Garmin Etrex, will take you within 20 feet. Sorry, Cobra, but I can't use your product if it has that "feature". :huh:

The Cobra units seem to have more issues than most judging by the very mixed reviews they've gotten. But if KenFelt is otherwise happy with his 500 I don't think the behavior of the GOTO feature should be considered insurmountable.

In an earlier thread there was this comment from Johnnie Stalker:

"We have had the Cobra 500 for about 6 weeks now. The "Arriving at Destination" issue was a hassle at first. Now when I get the message I switch to map screen, use a manual compass to determine my position from the waypoint and keep moving. So far this has worked great."

I just posted this on another thread, and feel it appropriate to post an identical response here, especially since I don't know how to simply add a link to it (sorry, I'm still new to these forums),

About a year ago I was given a Cobra 500 as a gift. While figuring out how to use it I discovered Geocaching! As of today I have found 177 caches with a half dozen or so FTF's. Not bad for a casual cacher who only does a few in the early mornings of the weekends before I start my day. So what's the moral of this story? Well, either;

#1. The Cobras are not really as bad as people like to make them out to be, or;

#2. Virtually any gps will work just fine for this game.

Take your pick :huh:

Well I suppose an update is in order. Over a year and a half later our Cobra is still functioning just fine. We've never had a problem with accuracy or a complaint about the coords on caches we've placed.

I have however run into other cachers on the trail who had the same exact unit and side by side the performance was notably different. It would appear that some of Cobra units have an issue. Our Cobra locks on quick and holds a pretty accurate position. Other Cobras I've seen are slow to lock and jump around a lot.

All that being said, my next unit will not be a Cobra.

I just posted this on another thread, and feel it appropriate to post an identical response here, especially since I don't know how to simply add a link to it (sorry, I'm still new to these forums),

About a year ago I was given a Cobra 500 as a gift. While figuring out how to use it I discovered Geocaching! As of today I have found 177 caches with a half dozen or so FTF's. Not bad for a casual cacher who only does a few in the early mornings of the weekends before I start my day. So what's the moral of this story? Well, either;

#1. The Cobras are not really as bad as people like to make them out to be, or;

#2. Virtually any gps will work just fine for this game.

Take your pick B)

#3. You lucked out and got one of the few that actually work... B)

Yeah! I'll pick #3 :P

To post a link to a thread, while viewing the thread you want to link to copy the URL at the top of your screen, Then click the add reply button and you will see a box the displays http:// Click that bow and paste the URL into the box that pops up, click OK then type the name of the URL in that box and click OK, thats all that there is to it.

These are some of the options you have when posting

You can also underline text

Use Bold text

Itallics

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I would check the settings on the gps, as this does not sound normal. On my Garmin V, it has a setting to shut down when arriving at my destination, maybe the cobra has a similar setting that you can adjust?

edit...I just noticed the original date this was posted... :)

kar

Edited by Team Shibby

I have a Cobra 100 and it works fine - when you "arrive at destination" - switch to map mode, zoom to closest level, and continue until the bottom of the arrow is directly over the waypoint (small square just over flag). That ususally gets me within 10-15 ft of cache.

I have a Cobra 100 and it works fine - when you "arrive at destination" - switch to map mode, zoom to closest level, and continue until the bottom of the arrow is directly over the waypoint (small square just over flag). That ususally gets me within 10-15 ft of cache.

I know people who do that with other GPS's as well. It works for them and 10-15' is as close as anything will get you. Good advice.

A coworker received a Cobra 500 about a month ago. I told him all about geocaching and sent him on his first cache hunt. Well, after miskeying the coords (one digit off) he didn't find that first cache. I entered the correct coords for him and waited for an update. He went back out to that cache and actually found it this time! Now that he's used his GPS successfully, he had a few questions. I answered them the best I could, not having used a Cobra GPS before, and he decided to let me take it on my next cache hunt to "field test" it for him.

I didn't get that far.

I left the parking garage at work yesterday and turned on the GPS. After driving down the road a mile, I look at the screen (since my Garmin Legend would have accquired satellite lock by then) and this thing is only showing 2 birds! It even had the nerve to beep at me asking if I wanted to keep accquiring! Well duh, of course I want it to keep accquiring or I would have put it in GPS off mode. Sheesh.

Anyway, I tell it to keep looking and get on the freeway. After a couple of miles, there's a third satellite on the screen so we must be getting close to lock. I get off the freeway and it hasn't changed. Ok, I can't waste the whole drive home waiting for lock, so I park at REI so the 60MPH drive won't affect the GPS. 10 minutes later, I'm still sitting at REI watching a 4th satellite finally build up in signal strength enough for lock. Success! I mark the coords of REI and resume the drive home. Now we're getting somewhere, there are 6, sometimes even 7, satellites on the screen. Then I turn a corner. Down to 3-4 sats again, but only for a few seconds. The last few streets I have at least 5 satellites, accurate enough I guess.

So, is it a normal thing for the Cobra 500 to have difficulty accquiring and keeping a signal? I didn't even get the chance to go geocaching with it yet, that won't be until next week. With my Garmin Legend I can hold the GPS almost anywhere in my Suburban and get satellite lock. With the Cobra, I had to hold it by the window. It think I know why people only talk about Garmins and Magellans when newbies ask about GPSrs now. My coworker is probably going to Ebay this one and buy a better brand. Any recommendations on improving the functionality of this GPS or is it destined for the scrap heap?

Edited by Team GPSaxophone