Help With A Cobra Gps1000

TheRom

I have no personal experience with Cobra units, but have read many threads in the forums here from people complaining about Cobra GPS. I have probably heard at least 10-15 people saying they're junk for every 1 person who thinks they're good. If it were me, unless I was REALLY afraid of offending the person who gave it to me, I'd likely exchange it for something from Garmin or Magellan.

I have no personal experience with Cobra units, but have read many threads in the forums here from people complaining about Cobra GPS. I have probably heard at least 10-15 people saying they're junk for every 1 person who thinks they're good. If it were me, unless I was REALLY afraid of offending the person who gave it to me, I'd likely exchange it for something from Garmin or Magellan.

All my GPS units are Magellan; they range from $100 to $3,500. Never had any problems! <_<

I'd return it and get a Garmin or Magellan. Most gift givers want you to have what you want and won't be offended if you need to trade it in for something a little bit different.

You can explain that geocachers tend to use either of the above brands for geocaching and you want to be able to use the same sort of aftermarket software taht others use.

Most gps users here are not familiar with Cobra gps units,so try the unit for geocaching and educate us all on that unit!The specs look good and it uses Rand Mcnally maps!it

certainly has my curiousity!

Like said, very few seem to have cobra gps'. And of those few reviews, most were not very ... impressed (many "takes too long to get a lock" and "It loses it reception"). If you keep it, you'll need to figure out a lot of your problems on your own (do they tech support?) because next to noone, if any, here have them. You can get step by step instructions for about all Garmin or Magellan handhelds, and maybe some lowrance, but outside that... <_<

Most gps users here are not familiar with Cobra gps units,so try the unit for geocaching and educate us all on that unit!The specs look good and it uses Rand Mcnally maps!it

certainly has my curiousity!

True. But if you check the GPS Units and Software forum, you'll find that the many of the people who do own them are less than happy with them.

I am at a loss as to how to get it to take downloads of waypoints...

From the Cobra FAQs for Handheld GPS:

How do I transfer data to/from my Cobra GPS1000?

Answer:  Your software program must have built-in data transfer capabilities or be NMEA compatible. For uploading and downloading maps, waypoints, tracks, routes, and points-of-interest, the software program must specifically support the Cobra GPS1000.

Cobra has partnered with Rand McNally to offer an exceptional mapping software package, which has been customized to support Cobra GPS units. The following guidelines apply to the Rand McNally software package.

Data transfer is covered on page 75 of the GPS1000 manual.

Good luck

Cornix

Thanks for your response (s)...I did call Cobra's Teck support, they were very helpful about their unit, but the guy I talked to had never heard of GEOCACHING!

He did tell me how to manually imput the waypoints. Today I'm gonna try it. So I'll let you all know if I keep it or take it back.

Margaret

:laughing:

After wasting 4 days of my time, I finally took the Cobra back to Circuit City, (they were great ; full refund no problem)..I am now an the owner of a Magellan, Meridan Gold... I really like it, and have already downloaded several waypoints......thanks for all your help

Happy Thhanksgining,

Margaret

thanks for asking about the cobra gps units margaret....

i saw them on sale today ..for tomorrow...and was wondering about them...they are cheaper than the yellow etrex.....

but what ive heard so far i will stick with trying to get the yellow etrex....

off to target tomorrow to fight the people for the yellow etrex AND free video that comes with it....hhhmmmm???...free video???...last year it was on sale for 80. with no video...now its 88. with a free video....

:laughing:

thanks for the info everyone

wanda texas

lotfool checked out the cobra gps, as did i, niether of us were very satisfied with them. i use a garmin etrex legend and it cost me 129.00 at dicks sporting goods.

lostfool uses a lowrance gps and has a garmin gps 72 as a back up. we are both highly satisfied with our gps units. however, the cobra gps, it not one either of us

would have or use.

regards

archie

Well, a day late and a dollar short as always when I finally get myself to the forums, but none the less I'll leave this here for those researching...

For what its worth, the parent company of whom I work for sells electronic gear (various) and at one time decided to carry the Cobra line of GPSr units. A customer of theirs ordered one and sent it back saying it didn't work. Almost unfortunately for them, they almost didn't have a technician to check the unit out... until one employee remembered that I deal with GPSr units in hobby/game of Geocaching. :huh:

It only took me 30 minutes (actually a little less) to determine that the unit was.. umm.. how to put this nicely.. a nifty paper weight. :)

I took it down a expressway here in the city, and it estimated the fastest I was going was 36 mph. I'm not going to get caught doing a measly 36 mph on this expressway, esp not during RUSH HOUR.

Secondly, it kept losing signal of ALL satellites repetitively.. every 1.40 to 2.00 minutes. Clear, Sunny day at that.

So when I took the unit back into the office and told them what I had found, and told them it'd be best sold at $5 for parts/paper weight, they discontinued carrying them.

Take a look at Garmin, Lowrance, and Megellan for your best performance, and bang for your buck.

-- LostFool

;)"Never Underestimate ..."

Yes I had the Cobra 1000 also I liked the big screen and the buttons that lit up. But when a frien d I and went Geocaching his accuracy was alot better than mine. His wold be within 20 ft (Magellan 200) and mine would be within 100 to 200 ft! not good for geocaching. So I took it back and got the Garmin etrex legend and LOVE it. :laughing: I love that you can download the waypoints and it is so easy instead of just punching them in there. anyway thought I would put my 2 cents worth in and my experience.