Permission Letter

The Forester

There is a standard text for the explanation page which most people include in a cachebox.

Is there are standard draft for a letter to a landowning/controlling organisation in the UK?

With permission having been obtained from many major organisations such as the National Trust, Forestry Commission and several Councils, there must be a body of accumulated experience about what to write in such a letter.

Of course an explanation of what geocaching is all about should be included, together with a reference to the website. Perhaps it would also be worth mentioning some of the other organisations which have granted permission. Perhaps it would also be a good idea to point out to the landowner that geocaching rules preclude the digging of holes or dismantling of drystone walls and that the route from probable parking places and public transport sites should not involve having to cross fences or walls other than by gates and styles.

Before I try to reinvent the wheel in applying for permission from a landowner, can anyone point me to a draft of a permission-seeking letter which has been successful with a major landowner or official authority?

Cheers, The Forester

Dear ?

I am seeking permission to place a geocache within area _________. I have attached a document which describes in more depth the subject of geocaching and its potential benefits to an organisation such as yours.

The obvious gain is from Cache in Trash out as the impact of this can readily be seen. This is something I try to do whenever we go caching. Other more intangible benefits include regular reports on the areas the caches have been placed.

These reports are automatically emailed whenever someone visits a site that is being watched.

The cache owner also has an obligation to maintain their cache and has a vested interest in making sure the area remains a good caching spot.

Rules and regulations have been set up to control caching in the UK the guidelines for which are in the attached document, one of these being to seek permission from the land owner before placing a cache.

The area I have in mind as an initial trial is ________________ along the road name and location, if this trial could be conducted and the results monitored I would then like to set up an agreed procedure for all your reserves with regards to setting up geocache's. This would probably involve contacting a defined person and mutually agreeing on site the position for the geocache.

I hope you find this of interest and can see the obvious benefits of allowing an “officially approved” geocache on your land (as the Forestry Commission have) and instigating control and approved procedures for the placing of future geocache’s.

Regards

I used this plus a copy of the Guide to geocaching done by Mancunian which you can get from lactodorums (link pinned above) the contact name seems to be the most important part .

Thanks to all the responders.

I particularly like the suggestion of emphasising CITO and I also like the idea of listing the rules of cache placement.

The outfit I'm approaching is particularly conservative and they're very picky about what goes on within the boundaries of their properties. They rigidly enforce rules and their security patrol amounts to a miniature police force with all the uniforms and blue lamp vehicles which we associate with a conventional police force.

They would be a great organisation to have on our side because they actively encourage visitors and like to act as facilitators in any way they can, within the rules of course. I believe geocaching would be as good for them as they could be for geocaching if they allow us to place caches on their ground.

The estate has been in existence since at least 1541 and is steeped in History, so changes in rules come v-e-r-y slowly! Resistance to change and reluctance to accept new concepts is to be expected from the custodians of such a place, so I'm quite prepared for a long and patient wait for them to accept geocaching in their on good time.

Other people's success with obtaining permission from outfits like the National Trust and the Forestry Commission has given me much encouragement.

Cheers, The Forester