Frs/gmrs Radio

The Walking Man

I have been using Cobra MicroTalks for several years with good results. The family has even used them to stay in touch while visiting Disney World in Florida. We connected up with other family members that brought theirs along.

Don't forget, for the higher power of the GMRS, you do need a license from the FCC. They are no problem to get, and you can do the whole thing online.

I've successfully used a frs radio all over the us. When me and my family went to disney world and it was a big help.

They were invaluable on our trip to Disneyworld. I remember looking for my wife and she was describing where she was and I was saying, hey, that sounds like the same place I am. Turns out she was about 15 feet away from me and we didn't see each other.

They also come in handy for skiing when the family gets separated. I can usually hear someone in the lodge from the top of the mountain because there is a direct line, but if I go over the other side I lose them.

For geocaching, they're nice for group hunts so people can stay in touch. They were particularly handy for one multi stage hunt that I was on.

You really can't go wrong with Motorola. One review I read a few years ago rated Radio Shack and Kenwood models the highest, but I'm sure that's invalid by now as there have been many changes in the models since.

I agree with getting the Motorola brand. Get a GMRS with at least a 5 mile range. The T5000 are a good model at about $40 bucks a pair at Walmart. I highly recommend getting radios which use AAs or other replaceable batteries instead getting the rechargeable type of radio. That way, in the field, you can change your batteries if the radio goes dead. My radio uses AAs because that's what my 60CS uses. Then, I only have to carry one type of extra batteries.

-------------------------------------

www.JackieandAlan.com

Edited by Alan Ellis

LICENSE? We don't need no stinking license!

Although a license is technically "required" for GMRS, very few people get one. However, I felt guilty and bought one. One of the reasons you need a license is that the GMRS radios use privately owned repeaters. That's how they get the extra range that the FRS radios can't get. It can sometimes P-off some of these owners if their repeaters are being used. However, I've never heard of anyone having a problem with it.

The license is $75.00 for five years.

GMRS Information

--------------------------------

www.JackieandAlan.com

Edited by Alan Ellis

It's $80 now.

Oh and to clarify, GMRS is capable of using repeaters, but that isn't the only way they gained range. GMRS is limited to 5 watts for handheld mobile and I think 40 watts for car mobile. The antenna is also longer, and the better GMRS radios will allow you to attach an external antenna for more range.

FRS is limited to 1/2 watt. It was the only way to allow FRS onto the market as a starter two-way radio for family use not requiring an FCC license.

Edited by TotemLake

I recently got a pair of Midland GXT-450 gmrs radios at Cabela's for about $80. They're 4-watt units & do a pretty fair job. I've got a Motorola T7200 which I feel does better @ 2 watts. I also have several each of a couple of other Motorola models. The Motorola units have wonderful sound clarity. Of all the models I've got (yes, I have a number of others), my favorite gmrs unit is the Motorola T6250. This little 1-watt unit is SMALL & LOADED with features, including NOAA weather alerts. You won't be disappointed if you compare it to other non-commercial grade gmrs units. It's a discontinued model, but can still be found new occasionally on eBay for around $35.

Baileyspaw

WQBJ629

Personally I like the Garmin Rino GPS/FRS/grms. Tammy and I use them all the time. (120 and 110) They are actually a pretty good GPS which gets good reception, and having the radio right there is very handy, there is no need to juggle a gps and a radio.

And the best thing is that they have a feature that allows you to send your position to another Rino. It comes in handy if you get seperated and need to find your way back to each other. And there is no problem communicating with any other Frs/Grms radios either, as long as everyone is on the same channel.

I have other GPS's that I use, but when we cache together, out come the Rino's.

Just my $.02 (.02373Canadian) :lol:

John

Edited by Quintheeskimo66
One of the reasons you need a license is that the GMRS radios use privately owned repeaters.  That's how they get the extra range that the FRS radios can't get.  It can sometimes P-off some of these owners if their repeaters are being used. 

GMRS Information

--------------------------------

www.JackieandAlan.com

While some GMRS radios can function through a repeater, the low priced models you see in stores cannot, For a radio to access a repeater the radio transmitts a tone to open the repeater, while you may find a repeater does not require a tone, these repeaters are not the norm. Then again the owner of the repeater can turn off the repeater at any time or change the tone at any time. Then again, if there is a hill between you and the repeater, you will not be able to your get signal into the repeater, these radios operate on frequencies that do not bounce off of or go around hills. If you really want to get some decent range it is very easy to get a ham radio license. You take a very easy test and for about $10.00 you have a Lic. that is good for ten years. Of course each person in a family would need there own lic. (There is no minimum age). While you may have trouble with hills there are not many areas that are not covered by a ham radio repeaters, most of these are operted by local ham radio operators and ham radio clubs.

With ham radio you have access to thousands of repeaters all over the world not just in the USA. GMRS and FRS frequencies change from country to country, what is legal in the USA might get you put into jail outside of the USA.

The radios are more expensive fo course, a Two meter (VHF) radio will run about $100.

This link contains Ham radio info ARRL

Edit due to 5:30 AM and no coffee effect

Edited by JohnnyVegas

One of the finest radios on the market at the moment is the ICOM IC-F21GM

f21gmsm.jpg

ICOM IC-F21GM

Mil-Spec construction, available high capacity batteries, Drop-in quick chargers, 4 watts, repeater capability, scanning features, Built in tones, Future proof band width selector, and lots of external connectors for speaker mikes, antennas, etc.

Expensive, but VERY fine communications.

If I needed a license to use a radio, Walmart would make sure I had it before selling it to me!

that's my story and I'm sticking to it!  :rolleyes:  :lol:  :lol:

Ignorance feigned or not is not bliss. ;)

Yes, and if you transmit in my area on GMRS without your FCC call sign then I will do my part to get you a free ride to prison. Such activity is illegal and puniushable by law, and should not be condoned by anyone. :lol:

Yes, and if you transmit in my area on GMRS without your FCC call sign then I will do my part to get you a free ride to prison.  Such activity is illegal and puniushable by law, and should not be condoned by anyone.  :rolleyes:

LMAO!

Before you laugh too hard, look at his occupation. :lol:

I would assume the FCC tries to at least make enough example cases to keep some semblance of control on the situation.

As a long-time licensed ham, I have some idea of their tracking abilities. Trust me, if they feel like finding an unlicensed GMRS user, they will.

PS: the FCC recently issued warnings to over 2 dozen legally licensed local ham radio operators for using GMRS radios without proper GMRS license. So they DO occasionally enforce the law.

Edited by Mopar

I use the 4AAA Cobra MicroTalk Radios. The range is not the best but has worked for the distances I use them for. I think I will most likely get a more powerful set in the near future.

I didn't bring them on my first hunt and looking back, it might of been a good idea. I take them on every hunt now. Hind sight is 20/20.

NCW

:laughing: I'm looking into adding another dimension to my geocaching with an frs/gmrs radio. They seem to be getting cheaper but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with using them in the woods and any suggestions on brand, model, features, etc..  I probably would also find use for them while camping and looking for my wife in the mall.

Getting back to my original post concerning suggestions for purchasing a frs/gmrs radio - I carefully read all suggestions on everyone's postings and did some more exhaustive on-line research on features, brands, etc. then went out to my local sporting goods store and bought the model that was on sale.

Actually I did use the information on the postings to narrow my search. I bought a Motorola T5950. The unit has a 5 mile range (based on terrain and conditions, of course), NOAA weather channels and a NiCD rechargeable battery. In a pinch the unit will operate on 3 AA alkaline batteries which I like since my GPS and digital camera also use AA's.

I thank everyone who took the time to respond to my posting - even those who seemed to be responding to some other question. All the postings were helpful and informative. Thanks again.

I have a license for GMRS> BUt how would the FCC catch someone using a radio who does not have a license?

I most cases they first get reports from those who have a license. Then they monitor area of the problem, once they have the general area figured out. They can send field agent to locate the person and then they make the bust. The can even monitour from their head quarteres.