Best Gps Unit

vespax

I am relatively new to geocaching and am looking to get a better GPS unit. I would also like to use it for some GIS work for map generation and planning. Be able to import points into ESRI products. What does the community think is the best unit for these two activities? Oh and a resonable price also. Returning to grad school and need to watch the budget!

The one you can afford! Seriously, there are lots of little things that make the models different, but the big things are: Do you want PC-GPS connectivity (YES!) and mapping (Strongly recommended). That aside, bells and whistles are things like: Colour display; nice, but adds to the price and it's not really necessary. Compass? For most people a luxury, not all that many use them, but they are cool. Memory? How much? That depends on what sort of maps (if any) you want to upload. There will always be advocates for all the brands- The old Ford/Chevy thing ya' know. Is one really better than the other? Doubt it... go to the outdoor store and play with different models. My personal recommendation would be the Garmin eTrex Legend, inexpensive, but with all the basic necessities.

Edited by tirediron

You would probably be happier with a Garmin. Their mapping software has been hacked (so to speak) allowing people to create their own compatible maps to upload into their GPSrs. With a Garmin mapping unit, after you create your maps, you would be able to enjoy the fruits of you labor.

A few links to point you in the right direction:

Map Authoring

Custom Garmin Map Tutorial

UMP: GETTING STARTED

Links to software used:

Ozi Explorer, GPS TrackMaker, MapDekode, and/or cGPSmapper.

The Garmin Legend is a good entry level mapping GPSr with many bells & whistles to grow into. It can be had for $130.00 or less.

Edited by Neo_Geo

My first choice would be a GPSMAP76CS. Too pricey to justify an upgrade for me at this time, but if it's for work you can write it off on taxes if you itemize.

If you need professional-quality GPS, you might look at Trimble, but be prepared for sticker-shock.

My unit is a GPSMAP76S and I've used it for field-mapping archaeological sites and historic roads. It's a great unit and probably does everything you need.

Happy Shopping,

Bob

Thanks for all the sugestions. I settled on the Garmin 60cs. It was more than I was hoping to spend but figured it would last for a while. Plus with Christmas around I could rationalize the price with the whole lump of expenses! Thanks Neo Geo for the tip to look at GPSonsale.com. I got it with tax for $385. So that was cheaper than ebay and had a solid experience with them. Thanks again.

I'd say any GPS that fits in your budget. For the sub-$200 range, you could have a Magellan SporTrak, or a Garmin Legend, or something of the like with some mapping capabilities and such.

I don't think I'd buy a GPS that wouldn't do basic mapping, because they are only about 20-30% more than a non-mapping model.

Personally, I have an eTrex Legend and love it. Bought my wife a yellow eTrex (Garmin) that won't map, I'm sorry I did now... she is wanting a fuller-featured GPS now that she's seen the maps on mine.

Bozz