Garmin Ique 3600

BillP3rd

My father has purchased an iQue 3600 with built-in GPS and I'm loking for software for it for geocaching. It seems to lack the traditional direction and distance to waypoint screen found on dedicated GPS receivers.

I'd be interested to hear from other iQue owners on their experiences geocaching with this unit. (I currently own a Magellan Meridian but if I can find suitable software for the iQue I may just upgrade... this unit is sweet!)

I think you may find the direction and distance to waypoint (as the crow flies) by selecting "off road" as the calculation method when routing to the waypoint. If the iQue OS is anything like the Quest, and I think it is, you can choose from the following methods: faster time, shorter distance and off road. Look in the route setup menu from the master setting screen to locate this option. I keep my Quest set to "prompt" so that I can select the method I want depending on whether I'm geocaching or doing actual street navigation.

I have the iQue 3600 and also a 76C and a 76S. I have city select maps loaded on it. As was pointed out it works best in he car routing to the parking lot. I have Cachemate loaded on it. With Cachemate I can get PQ from Geocaching. com via e-mail. I load them on my hard drive. Then use cmconvert which you get with Cachemate to select and convert and send to the Palm Desktop were you can hotsync it to the iQue. It will be loaded on the iQue in Cachemate with all the information except pictures. I used it to find 20 caches in a row on a road trip when my 76S blanked out on me. You also get NAV with Cachemate when in a side by side comparsion gave me just as much information as the 76S. I now use the iQue just to take me to the parking lot with routing and let me operate paperless for the cache information and use either the 76C or 76S for the actual hunt.

Good luck. Dick, W7WT

Hi there, this is my first post on a new forum.

I'm using an iQue3600 too. I have to manually put in a new address and manually put in the coordinates. I copy and paste the description and clue to the memo page in the Palm Desktop, then hotsync. Then I copy and paste the description and clue as a "note" in the address.

Then a simple "find" and I'm "talked" right to it, or at least within 15 feet or so. Use the "track up" option and walk forward and you'll see what direction your target is.

This is probably just elementary stuff, but it's what I've learned so far. The iQue3600 is full of nice surprises. Oh yeah it measures distances too, easy.

Win :anicute:

I'm using an iQue3600 too. I have to manually put in a new address and manually put in the coordinates. I copy and paste the description and clue to the memo page in the Palm Desktop, then hotsync. Then I copy and paste the description and clue as a "note" in the address.

If I were you I'd invest in CacheMate - saves all that manual inputting aggro :blink:.

Better still use GSAK and Cachemate - you'll save tons of finger leather :anicute: .

Edited by Motley Crew