Cache Quality For You

TheCallanCrew

We do not much participate in forums...often have found them a terrific waste of time :huh: . Nevertheless, two topics were pointed out to us by caching friends in which we did participate: "TNLN Rant" and "Cache Placing Limitations." After this experience, we sense that despite the fun that folks are having B) there is some growing angst and frustration out there about cache quality :huh: .

So, we want to open up a topic about QUALITY. We understand that their are different levels of players and that people seek different things out of the hobby/sport and this is OK.

<_<

What are three of your favorite caches and what made them so?

What were three items that you took from a cache that you either kept or remember fondly?

B)

What characterizes for you a cache with quality contents?

What characterizes for you a quality cache hide location?

B)

What do you look for in a cache description and/or log before seeking a cache?

What do you do when you find a less than stellar cache?

<_<

Have you hidden any caches? If you did, what sort of thought process went into your cache hiding effort?

:huh:

Do you have a geocaching hero or role model that consistently hides excellent caches?

B)

In addition to descriptions, logs, terrain and difficulty ratings, should we consider a quality of experience rating?

:huh:

Does quality mean different things for a micro, verses a regular cache, verses say a multi-cache?

Do you like series caches and prefer them over multi-caches?

Do you seek special cache experiences to commemorate reaching a find threshold like 100, 200, 1000?

Your thoughts may give rise to ideas that help clarify for many what makes a quality cache. It is often easier to reach a target when one knows what it is.

May the New Year bring more quality caches.

Cheers,

The Callan Crew Patriarch

Personally, a dry cache goes a long way to quality for me. Granted, it's only the first step, but when I get to a cache that everything is wet and smelly, it's gross. (Did one last time I was out caching that was soaking wet. The decon hadn't been closed properly, and everything in the container except one log book (Miraculously) and a bouncy ball were soaking wet and smelled horribly. )

I prefer caches with a theme, but I'll 'settle' for something well maintained. Either way, this cache of mine was just put on the MTGC's list of must hit caches.

There are waaaay too many questions in your post! lol.

This one is one of my favorites. Didn't take any trades, but I have some great memories from it. This one was great because of the silliness of it all.. this oneis probably my favorite cache location.

I really don't care about contents like I said, so long as they're dry and not broken.

My cache process is whether or not the area is safe, and preferrably if I can hide a full sized cache. I don't cache with kids, but I do know lots of people who do and appreciate the swag. I like tbs too, and they usually don't fit in a micro.

I like multis. I like series. It really doesn't matter to me.

Special? Sometimes... If I'm at a cache event the day of a milestone (#250), I chose my favorite cache from the event to be the milestone on my list since I did them all at the same time. I had a dnf planned to be found as 250, but discovered way too many caches at the event.

IMHO, the angest over these topics is the sound and fury generated by the game evolving into two (or more) games.

There are those who like puzzles and for them puzzle caches are the thing. Others find them too time consuming and skip them.

There are those who like numbers and are (at least internally) competitive about cache finding. These people want to find as many as possible and really don't want to spend all day on a puzzle or a hike.

There are those who cache with their kids or grandkids. They want kid friendly caches that are basically easy enough for kids to find and full of stuff kids want.

There are those who want to go to cool places that they didn't know about. They want to find some quiet trail with a good view and would be happy with an empty cache.

In a perfect world all could be accomodated. We don't live in that world and things get out of balance. Cities get over run by micros or some other cache type, people hunt all the caches of a particular genre and then are left to quit or hunt a different genre. With a significant investment in a GPS and other stuff and the enjoyment they got from doing the caching they did, quitting isn't appealing. So they stay put. What happens to an object fixed in space as things move past it? Friction.

What we hear in the forums is to a great extent, friction.

Here is a list of my four favorite caches, based on outstanding container design as well as most appropriate placement.

1. Cross-Eyed

2. Outback In Borchard Park

3.The Fun Zone

4. Promises in the Dark

Ironically, all of these caches are log-only.

Honorable mention goes to Invisible Touch

For most interesting area and or oddest landmark, that a cache brought me to, these two caches make the cut:

Three Corners http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/displ...f8632981999.jpg

Shea's Castle http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/c1733...22a1cac5c3b.jpg

For an impressive cache, I vividly remember this cache: Silver &Gold

"Have you hidden any caches? If you did, what sort of thought process went into your cache hiding effort?"

I work harder to place quality over quantity caches now that I have more experience caching. I place less caches now because I spend more time in the planning stages.

"Does quality mean different things for a micro, verses a regular cache, verses say a multi-cache?"

I have seen more thought put into certain micros than I have seen with ammo boxes hidden under bushes.

When it comes caches I like, my criteria is simple:

Is the cache located in an area safe to bring my family?

Is the cache in an area that isn't filled with trash?

Is the cache in a scenic area with a "wow" factor.

"Do you have a geocaching hero or role model that consistently hides excellent caches?

In order

1 (Team Perkyperks) Most helpful and best mentor, placed many of the caches that I'm fond of, great person to cache with.

2 (Mojave Jackalope) (Took me geocaching the first time)

3 (Garmin Armin) (The very first cache that I ever saw (with Mojave Jackalope) was "Tejon Squeeze" by Garmin Armin. I was addicted on my first cache.

4 (Team Dakiba) Very memorable caches, 2 listed above. Genuine and overall nice guy.

5 (Team Nohoch) Great cache placer, great person to cache with. I look forward to caching with him again.

6 (Agoura Charger) By far, the most creative cache placer that I have ever seen.

Edited by Kit Fox
There are those who like puzzles and for them puzzle caches are the thing. Others find them too time consuming and skip them.

There are those who like numbers and are (at least internally) competitive about cache finding. These people want to find as many as possible and really don't want to spend all day on a puzzle or a hike.

There are those who cache with their kids or grandkids. They want kid friendly caches that are basically easy enough for kids to find and full of stuff kids want.

There are those who want to go to cool places that they didn't know about. They want to find some quiet trail with a good view and would be happy with an empty cache.

But, what do you, personally, like? Let's get specific.

carolina coastal challenge eat and run

forty acre enigma

the mother of all caches series- a series of 3 multis spread out over the state of s.c. each of which culminates in a trad. cache containing among other things part of the coords to a final grand cache

avian gray matter

bonnet's revenge

there are others, but these are a few that stood out for me

each of these caches were challenging mentally, carried me to a neat place (or 2 or 3), and fed the adventure seeker in me. i really don't care what the trade items are since i rarely trade, but i do like to find the traditional cache when out in the woods. -harry

I love a great overall experience or an awesome container that makes me work for it.

For overall experiences:

Silver & Gold - awesome trip through an old mineshaft

Chamber of Secrets - perilous trip through an old storm drain

Fremont Peak Tribute - harsh climb up a desert mountain on a beautiful spring day

For awesome containers--three of the ones on Kit Fox's list above are also on my favorites list. (The first one on his list is mine, so I can't count that--can I? <_< )

What were three items that you took from a cache that you either kept or remember fondly?

I don't recall anything specifically.

As long as everything is dry and will fit back into the container--I don't much care what's in there.

Show me something. Give me a view, take me to a neat spot I'd never otherwise get to see, or teach me something unique about the history of the area.

How much time am I likely to have to spend on it? Did it take everyone 4 hours to get to it, and another hour to find it? How bad is the hike to get there? I need to know enough to plan accordingly.

I sign the log and move on. I realize that not every cache is going to be the most memorable experience. If I absolutely hate the area or the hide, I'll mention what exactly I didn't like in my online log.

Have you hidden any caches? If you did, what sort of thought process went into your cache hiding effort?

I have 73 hides (and two adoptions) to my name. Inspiration hits randomly. Sometimes I make the cache fit the area--sometimes I make the cache, and then have to find somewhere for it. Sometimes I have a great idea or see something that will make the perfect container; sometimes I borrow and adapt ideas from other caches I visit.

Do you have a geocaching hero or role model that consistently hides excellent caches?

I don't even know if I could even begin to list all of them.

In addition to descriptions, logs, terrain and difficulty ratings, should we consider a quality of experience rating?

I'm indifferent to the idea. It's been raised before and discussed ad nauseum. I don't think I'd get much out of it; just because a few other people didn't like it doesn't mean I won't enjoy it.

Does quality mean different things for a micro, verses a regular cache, verses say a multi-cache?

I just like to see them hidden creatively. I think the emphasis is more on creativity for micros than regular caches, but I've seen enough lame regular caches to know that it's easy to make an ammo can boring.

I don't mind multi-caches; however, I prefer series caches in areas with which I'm not familiar. Chasing multiple waypoints all over an unfamiliar town is not something I'm wild about. Knowing where each cache is helps me plan my route better.

Do you seek special cache experiences to commemorate reaching a find threshold like 100, 200, 1000?

My 100th and 1000th caches were event caches; that made the experience a lot of fun. My 500th find was a fun, challenging trek that is very memorable as well. I plan to make my 2000th find a long hike that I hope will be equally memorable.

Three favorite caches:

*My first find This One. It sparked my interest to find more caches.

This one, an easy find at a rest area in Kansas Piddle Purge. It was raining but when I got to the cache the sun had just come out and I saw a very beautiful rainbow over the Kansas prairie.

This one that took me to one of the coolest places I had ever been Black Mesa. It was just beautiful up there.

The lamest cache I ever found was one "hidden" in a person's front yard in the bushes. No challenge, no fun, and the neighbors were watching us the whole time. Plus it was in a not-so-nice part of town.

*I almost never take anything. Only useful things I have ever taken were a rain poncho and a map of Oklahoma and a Christmas present from this cache. Most stuff I see in caches are toys and other people's unwanted junk.

*As long as it isn't junk I'm OK with it. Toys are OK, but I hate when people put worthless junk in caches.

*Secluded, remote and beautiful, peaceful places. I don't particularly like high-traffic areas.

*Other cacher's impressions of the cache, how hard it was to find, other's impressions of the area, clues.

*The standard TNLN. If really bad or if it is in bad shape I will let the owner know.

Have you hidden any caches?

*I have three hides:

This one

This one

and this one.

If you did, what sort of thought process went into your cache hiding effort?

*I wanted them to be easy enough to find but not too easy, they needed to be at a favorite place of mine, accessible so I could maintain them, and I wanted them to be just a little different from other caches I had found.

*No, it's too subjective.

*A micro is nothing more than a small regular cache but without the swag. There is nothing inherently worse about a lame micro than a lame regular cache.

*I like puzzle caches but there are not enough in my area.

*If I know I'm about to reach a milestone I like to plan what cache it's going to be.

So, we want to open up a topic about QUALITY. We understand that their are different levels of players and that people seek different things out of the hobby/sport and this is OK.

Lots of questions! Here goes!

I have LOTS of favorites, so how about I pick 3 that work well with this topic?

• Treasure of the Wrath by TigerJon (GCG0TA) Great hike up to a spectacular waterfall. Continue up the trail another few miles to the not to be missed Lake Serene. Had an amazing day hiking with some other cachers. Oh yeah, the weather was crappy and the cache container was a wet, rotting mess, but at least the logbook was dry.
  • Warthog Down by sponge (GCGC55) This was just too amazing to describe here. You need to read the logs and view the gallery. It's the most personally satisfying cache I've ever done. It's also a lame virtual that could have easily been made into a multi with an ammo box hidden closer to the parking.
  • Disney Microcache 2 (EPCOT) by RBDupuy (GC4B8D) Probably my first real urban stealth micro. There was a great thrill in finding and logging this cache with thousands of people passing by a few feet away. Over 300 other people have also had a chance to enjoy it over the last 2.5yrs. It's also a lame urban micro and a commercial cache. A roll of paper in an M&M mini in the middle of Disney World. Hey, at least it's not under a lamppost, right?

What were three items that you took from a cache that you either kept or remember fondly?I took a Seattle, WA keychain from my very first cache find. It's on my backpack.

You might say I found her in an event cache. I plan on keeping her forever!

I've found friends, and lifelong memories in all the other caches, but not many trinkets that stand out.

A quality cache container of the appropriate size for the area that contains a dry log.

Any area that doesn't leave me thinking the hider placed the cache just for the sake of placing one. It can be a great hike, or stellar view. It can be a historical location or a place that teaches me something new. It can be a clever puzzle or a creative container. Almost anything that leaves me feeling the hider put some effort into making a pleasant experience for me.

Reasonably accurate coordinates and D/T ratings

Occasionally not even bother logging it. Usually though, I will log it and try to include my reasoning for not enjoying the cache. This way the cache owner and future cache finders can decide for themselves how to proceed.

It depends on the cache. Some were placed to challenge more experienced cachers to think outside the box (or in most cases the pile of sticks). Others were placed to show people a little known spot that I myself enjoy visiting. Some were meant to give people traveling a place to stop and take a break from driving and maybe log a cache in a new state. Each cache did have a reason behind it; often more then one.

Do you have a geocaching hero or role model that consistently hides excellent caches? Yes, many. It would be unfair to try and name them all. I also have some hiders who I've come to find I consistently don't enjoy their caches. Those names go into a software program that filters them out of my PQs so I never even see those caches anymore.

NO. Too subjective. Different people like different things. Many times the quality of my experience with a certain cache has more to do with outside influences like mood, or people I'm caching with, then the actual cache itself.

No, any type of cache can be done lame, or any type can be of high quality. Cost isn't even a factor. High quality has to do with the care and thought the hider used in placing them, no matter what the type.

Not especially. If they are all related, and meant to do as one experience, I'd rather see it done as a multi. I don't need or care about the extra smileys if in essence they were all part of one cache experience. I'd rather write one nice log about how the 4 micro stages guided me down the proper trails to the ammo box then 4 "TNLNSL, I can see the next micro from here!" logs.

Not usually, because I rarely know when they are coming. All I can tell you about my find count is it shows 700 something, and I'm somewhere around 20-40 logs behind. I've been told by others that bothered to count that I'm over 800 finds, but I have no clue by how far.

We do not much participate in forums...often have found them a terrific waste of time  <_< . Nevertheless, two topics were pointed out to us by caching friends in which we did participate: "TNLN Rant" and "Cache Placing Limitations." After this experience, we sense that despite the fun that folks are having  :huh:  there is some growing angst and frustration out there about cache quality  <_< .

Your thoughts may give rise to ideas that help clarify for many what makes a quality cache. It is often easier to reach a target when one knows what it is.

May the New Year bring more quality caches.

Cheers,

Hard to pick 3 favorites, but here are 3 that come immediately to mind:

Edison's Dark Rock Cache-It was a nice walk in an historically significant area. The site of Thomas Edison's failed 19th century mining operation. The cache itself was in a narrow mine shaft that caused me to confront my claustrophobia and crawl 100 some feet into the side of a mountain to retreive it

Aircrash 3-A 7+ mile round trip climb of a scenic Catskill peak. The last few hundred yards were very steep and required the use of all fours in places. The cache itself was a virtual of a Cessna that crashed into the side of the mountain. The growth was so dense that it took 5 of us quite a while to find it even though we were standing next to it at several points.

Melvin's Multiple Madness A difficult multi in a tidal marsh that took some planning. You had to start your search on the outgoing tide to have the time to complete it. We plotted our route using topo maps and sat photos. Half the fun was in the planning and the other half was slogging through the mud and thick reeds.

My first cache I took an insigina from the 42nd Infantry "Rainbow" Division. Still have it. I also kept several tape measures, because I can never have enough of them. Also a fishing lure that I still use.

The idea that the owner put some thought into it and didn't just empty the junk from the bottom of his glove compartment into the container.

An area of scenic, or historic interest. As for the hiding spot itself, a spot where its not likely to accidently be discovered by non geocachers.

What do you look for in a cache description and/or log before seeking a cache? If I scan the page and see numerous, lengthy logs I can tell its probably a good cache and worth my time. If there is a story behind the location, I like to see something about it in the description as long as its not supposed to be a surprise.

What do you do if you find a less than stellar cache?

I thank the cache owner for taking the time to place it

107 to date

It varies with the cache, but usually its to bring the searcher on a nice walk, often to a scenic spot. Sometimes its just to highlight an object or area of historic interest.

When I started geocaching

The Artful Dodger, Team Magster and Cache Ninja were placing the kinds of caches that I emulated. Unfortunately for the local community all three have pretty much stopped placing caches.

No, its too subjective. You usually determine the quality of the cache from reading the logs.

It could, but as long as the logbook is dry I'm happy.

Do you like series caches and prefer them over multi-caches

I like 'em both

Haven't yet.

carolina coastal challenge eat and run

forty acre enigma

the mother of all caches series- a series of 3 multis spread out over the state of s.c. each of which culminates in a trad. cache containing among other things part of the coords to a final grand cache

avian gray matter

bonnet's revenge

Thanks for a local perspective (SC & NC). Also, just got Croteus' post that Carolina Coastal Challenge was "discovered." <_<

It is our favorite as well and we would hate to see it remain de-activated.

So we have:

In NC

GC60C9 Carolina Coastal Challenge

GCKRRD Avian Gray Matter

GCK8BW Bonnet’s Revenge

In SC

GCM2K7 The Forty Acre Enigma

GCGA6A The Mother of All Caches Part I - Upstate Ramble (part 1 of 4)

Favorite long hike. (Did this under my alter ego Ray8251)

Peak-A-Boo: Mt. Whitney

Favorite hike

Maple Pass Loop Trail Cache

Favorite urban

It's All for the Kids

The most fun doing a cache

The Proctor Valley Monster Project

Favorite DNF

Baker Lake Trail Cache

I know this is more than three but these are my favorites all for different reasons.

Don’t keep stuff out of caches as a general rule unless it’s signature items. Have taken items out of a cache that I thought would make a cool travel bug. Found a Krusty Krab key chain once that I just had to make in to a travel bug.

Wow. Lots of questions; each could be its own forum thread.

Melakwa's Heaven by Evergreenhiker! is the quintessential Pacific Northwest cache. A hike up a mountain, ending with a rock scramble to a spectacular view, was made even better by good company. Jeremy was along and made a video of the hike, which meant far more to me than any trade item.

Polly Takes the Plunge by Quest Master is my favorite cache in my home area, southwest Pennsylvania. Combine a challenging hike, a fiendishly hidden second stage, and a haunting storyline from the area's early history, and you have a first-rate multicache.

Shish-K.A.-bob by CCCooperAgency is memorable because it was hidden in honor of my alter ego, Keystone Approver, and doing that cache was how I chose to come "out of the closet" and disclose my secret identity to the geocaching world. Lots of folks knock CCCA for hiding lots of micros, yet only nine geocachers have been able to log a find on this cache because it requires a 10 to 12 mile hike on a rattlesnake-infested, boulder-ridden section of the Appalachian Trail. Doing this cache made me realize that there is way more to this outstanding geocaching family than one would believe from reading the forums, and I am now honored to count them among my friends. I just visited them last weekend.

At the Ebey Bluffs cache by Era Seek on Whidbey Island, Washington, I received a Moun10Bike coin as a gift from its owner. A memorable item from a memorable cacher at a memorable cache. 2137 miles from my home coordinates, but I've done it twice... I took my daughter there during a return visit.

After leading our group on a tour of Antietam Battlefield for the Brother against Brother virtual multicache, Fergus gave me one of his signature chainmail balls. He used to work at the battlefield and enriched the experience, making it my favorite virtual cache ever, along with Warthog Down which was mentioned already. Jeremy has also mentioned Fergus' signature item as a personal favorite.

At Too Many Secrets, the first cache I found in Nashville, I found something for the first time that I have since had the pleasure of finding over and over again on several hundred occasions since then.

A dry container with a logbook.

A hiding spot findable by a geocacher but not obvious to a muggle, in a setting that is worth visiting, for whatever reason.

Nothing. I rarely read cache descriptions. I filter out caches using pocket queries and offline tools. Caches with multiple DNF's get axed, anything else is findable.

Find another way to make it fun, by enjoying the company I'm with, or by doing lots of them in a row, or by experiencing the surroundings.

I have hidden 25 caches of all types and sizes, ranging from long challenging hikes in a state park to urban micros to highlight scenic vistas for the tourists. My thought process begins with "why do I want to bring people here?" and then I ask "what is the best cache type and cache container for the setting I've chosen?"

My early local role models were Quest Master and Puppyman. Click on the links to see their list of hidden caches. My heroes are geocachers who ignore limitations, including Pyewacket, The Alabama Rambler and Mocadeki.

No. Read the logs if you want to see what people thought about the cache.

Not really. My hiding criteria - having a reason to hide the cache, and choosing the best type of hide for the spot - apply equally to all cache types.

If the series is a bunch of micros strung together in a row, then it is just number-chasing and I'd prefer a multi. If the series takes me to a bunch of cool places and each cache stands on its own, but they all relate to a common theme, then that's cool, too.

In the past, yes, but after you hit 1,000 this becomes less important. If you look at my profile page's list of my favorite caches, many of the milestone finds are included on the list because I consciously chose outstanding caches for those.

Wow. Lots of questions; each could be its own forum thread.

My thought process begins with "why do I want to bring people here?" and then I ask "what is the best cache type and cache container for the setting I've chosen?"

Hmmm. Wonder if I screwed up with the lengthy list of questions <_< . Perhaps this should have been several topics...

Great ideas for a thought process. <_<

Thanks much for sharing.

There are those who like puzzles and for them puzzle caches are the thing.  Others find them too time consuming and skip them.

There are those who like numbers and are (at least internally) competitive about  cache finding.    These people want to find as many as possible and really don't want to spend all day on  a puzzle or a hike.

There are those who cache with their kids or grandkids.    They want kid friendly caches that are basically easy enough for kids to find and full of stuff kids want.

There are those who want to go to cool places that they didn't know about.  They want to find some quiet trail with a good view and would be happy with an empty cache.

But, what do you, personally, like? Let's get specific.

I am about the hike and the view once I get there. Love existential experiences of seeing some place for the first time. Geocaching has sent to some boring vacant lots and parks, and its sent me to a number of really cool places. The cool places are the ones I like.

My favorite caches that I have placed would be Platte River Overlook and Summit Cache.

My favorite micros would be "2 bee or not 2 bee" and "Antique ATM" in Kearney.

My favorite trad would be Balboa Behind the Scenes in San Diego

Brian, I'm sure that you use a similar thought process, from what I've read of your cache hides. I look forward to visiting some of them someday.

To expound a bit:

• I have scouted locations, but have not hidden a cache because the area wasn't worth commending to visiting geocachers. This is true even if I've spotted a great hiding place.
  • Conversely, I have a list of great areas for caches but I am still working on the right container and cache idea to fit them.
  • Once I chose a less-than-stellar area and tried to make the visit worthwhile by hiding a cache there in a unique way, and with a humorous cache page.
  • I also ask "do *I* want to come back to this place over and over again, since I am signing up for cache maintenance?" If it's not a place I'd enjoy returning to often, I don't hide the cache.
  • I have found an interesting location, and hidden a cache there, but I later archived it because there were no hiding spots better than guardrails and lamp posts, and people just didn't enjoy the interesting place because the cache sucked.
  • When I find a hike or a bike ride best experienced as a route, done just the way I like to do it, then that is an ideal situation for a multicache.
  • I have two micros that are lame containers in lame hiding spots, but the views from those hiding spots are spectacular, and the caches attract lots of tourist cachers. That is why they are there, and it is perfectly OK for them to be lame.
  • I hide the largest container that the area can sustain without being muggled. No micros in the woods unless they're clues to a final multicache, and they'd better be easy micros to find.
  • When I hide several caches in the same park, or I'm adding a cache to a park that already has some, I give consideration to how the caches "fit together" for someone visiting the park to do all of them at once. Can they share parking coordinates? Does one cache "crowd" or conflict with another in any way? Does the park *need* another cache, perhaps to show off an area untouched by the prior hides? Would my new cache add variety, or be just another tupperware in a stump like the one .3 miles away?
  • I have a personal rule that I cannot hide a new cache unless every one of my existing caches has been maintained and is not temporarily disabled. Right now, I have two disabled caches, so I can't hide new ones even though I have a garage full of containers and a notebook full of ideas and locations. EDIT: A third disabled cache is on "long term disability" due to events beyond my control... the creekside trail was ruined by the Hurricane Ivan flooding. That ought not stop me from hiding the eight caches I have on the drawing board.

Edited by The Leprechauns

My three favorites! That's tough.

First place goes to My Monkey! Challenging, informative, scenic. I loved this one!!

Second place to: Itty Bitty I'm sure it's been done before, but it was the perfct cache for the site.

Tie for third on my list:

Lake of the Clouds Hut. A Virtual Cache in the White Moutnains below Mount Washington. Great cache kber!

and

Aerial Surveillance by ekitt10. Challenging and fun!

My hiking partner, Andy Bear, would like to nominate Xzmzo! Again, well thought out, challenging, fun and rewarding.

What do we like in a cache? See above: Challenging, fun AND scenic!

We have placed five caches thus far. Two are micros. Not too challenging, but scenic, and good for people who like cache and dashes. Maybe we made them see the view too? Tow are fairly easy hikes in the woods to scenic areas. Not especially challenging, but fun hikes to pretty places. Both are over two miles round trip, and have had only two logs each. Oh, well. The fifth is a slightly more challenging urban micro, with a beautiful view. We plan on being a bit more challenging in the future. [:blink:]

My favorite caches are usually 1/2 or 1/3 caches. It's not flipping rocks n' routes that thrills me as the challenge of getting to the place. That's my preference. Take me over hill and dale and across a river but then let it be under a pretty obvious tree and I'm happy.

I haven't hid any because we move pretty frequently so I'd hate to place one only have to archive it or pass it off when we move. That and there seem to be a lot in our current area already.

The spots I know well I can't hide on anyway.....Military Installation.

REMEMBER. YOU ASKED!

Mossy Rock – My wife’s first cache. This was our first cache together and really hooked my wife on caching. The nature trail leading up to the cache was educational. The bonus view that we got was AMAZING. We’ve driven by this spot literally 20 or 30 times in our lives and never knew it was there. Goes to show the benefits of caching.

Tube Torcher - Ran the Tube Torcher with two of my friends. It took us about six hours all told. Easily one of the best thought out caches within one to two hundred miles. This made me want more 5/5’s in the area. After this one a micro or regular cache is not as exciting for a few months. I highly recommend the drive from wherever you may be.

Low Country Hospitality – One of those treasures you come upon while caching that makes you wonder. You can go to the cache page for this one I don’t want to give it away. Better yet just go caching and find this one if you are nearby or far off. You won’t be disappointed. NOT JUST ANOTHER VIRTUAL!

My first cache I found a small toy soldier that accompanies me wherever I go. He has a special ride spot in my cache bag.

Osmo my first TB. I still track him and always check his cache page when he moves. Kind of like an adopted child.

A bison tube that I still keep on my keychain. I just like it. (No this wasn’t a micro container, it was placed as a trade item in a cache.)

I guess when you can tell that some money was spent on it. I only have two regular caches and I spent about $15.00-$20.00.

Either a great hike in a well kept natural area, or a devious hide where no one but a cacher would expect to find something. One that comes to mind in this vein is Something Fishy in Uptown by Mr. And Mrs. Parrothead in Charlotte, N.C.

First off I am not opposed to micros given they are place where a micro should be placed. I like the challenge of a micro. Much harder to find. But a box of swag is a much better draw to me. Also historical signifigance is a major draw. The difficulty of a cache such as puzzles and twists are a big draw as well.

If you are speaking of contents I try to restock with as many of my trade items as I can spare. It’s not the cache owners job to keep a cache full. It IS the caching communities place to trade up and keep it just as great as it started for the next cacher.

Yes

My first thought was that there weren’t that many caches in my area. What could I do to draw other cachers this way and perhaps make some new cachers here as well. I don’t know if it worked because of me but there are new cachers here and more caches. I wouldn’t say that all our caches in the area would draw some of the hardcore cachers but the folks around here a re great at their hides and in taking you to interesting places. Me I’m in it for the hunt as well as the end of the journey. My two caches are hidden in very interesting places. To me! That doesn’t mean everyone thinks so. You get out of a cache what you put in to it, hiding or finding. You take more away from a cache than TB’s and trade items.

I do enjoy Mvillan’s caches here in the Carolinas. He always finds something interesting for me to do during the day when I’m waiting for a customer. (I’m a contractor for a Satellite Co.) This guy has 32 hides as of this writing. I always find his caches entertaining and interesting. Takes me where I’ve never been before. Another benefit of caching.

NO! Your experience is your own. Quality of experience ratings would drive some cachers away from a spot that they may have enjoyed.

YES!

I like both equally.

Of course! Though I’ve only found 79. For my 50th I took my best friend and made a special day of it. Of course 50 led to 55 and then to 60. 100 hundred is already planned for a certain 5/5 or two in Charleston , SC. Same friend along for the ride.

:blink: X-MAN

REMEMBER. YOU ASKED!

<<snip>>

Oh yes, definitely. And, I am finding the responses very interesting, educational and informative. Quite a refreshing forum experience.

Yes, I have heard Tube Torture is a nearby must do. My eldest is not yet up to it. Soon though, we plan on getting the skateboard, gloves, etc. etc. and making a day of it.

Shame about the Carolina Coastal Challenge...definitely our favorite thus far.

Thanks for sharing.

:santa: What are three of your favorite caches and what made them so?

Adirondack Rat Pack Cache - because of the large size, , clever placement, and the experience while seeking it.

Ward's Rusty Box - because it took me on an 18 mile hike up and down the shoulder of a mountain in the ADKs (it's really only a 12 mile hike and pretty flat, but I took the wrong trail).

Think Pink - because it was a fun canoe cache, and involved my tipping over on a snowy memorial day

:santa: What were three items that you took from a cache that you either kept or remember fondly?

mini-leatherman, signature items

:santa: What characterizes for you a cache with quality contents?

a variety of stuff, no garbage, stuff for my son as well as for me

:santa: What characterizes for you a quality cache hide location?

I have to look a while for it, and at the end of my search I don't resent the hider, and it takes me somewhere I've never been, and am glad to have visited

:santa: What do you look for in a cache description and/or log before seeking a cache?

the promise of something unusual/different/beautiful

:blink: What do you do when you find a less than stellar cache?

Make a log entry, take something, leave something (I don't mention that the cache stinks, I just don't gush as I generally do for a better cache)

:blink: Have you hidden any caches? If you did, what sort of thought process went into your cache hiding effort?

yes, I think about my favorite places, and whether a cache would work there...I also have been trying to achieve some balance in my area so that there are caches for every type of seeker.

:P Do you have a geocaching hero or role model that consistently hides excellent caches?

not yet, there aren't that many in my area, but there are some logs and listings I've read that I try to emulate when logging or listing a cache

:P In addition to descriptions, logs, terrain and difficulty ratings, should we consider a quality of experience rating?

YES...this is one of the most important factors in geocaching for me

:P Does quality mean different things for a micro, verses a regular cache, verses say a multi-cache?

yes, different cache types require different things to make them excellent (although there are some common factors as well)

:P Do you like series caches and prefer them over multi-caches?

I have no experience with either as yet, but I hope to in the near future

:santa: Do you seek special cache experiences to commemorate reaching a find threshold like 100, 200, 1000?

not really, my 50th was just another cache, as I suspect my 100th, 200th, 500th, and 1000th will also be

Thanks for the original post, and for the interesting answers so far...

nfa-jamie

Edited by NFA
:blink: What are three of your favorite caches and what made them so?

Adirondack Rat Pack Cache - because of the large size, , clever placement, and the experience while seeking it.

Ward's Rusty Box - because it took me on an 18 mile hike up and down the shoulder of a mountain in the ADKs (it's really only a 12 mile hike and pretty flat, but I took the wrong trail).

Think Pink - because it was a fun canoe cache, and involved my tipping over on a snowy memorial day

Wow! 18 miles :blink: . I don't even know if I could hike 18 miles :P . I did a 10 mile up in PA on a cache once and ached for 2 days :P . A good 6 miler is about our limit and, having tested it, my 7 year old has a range of 8 miles. However, he will be house-bound for a day recovering afterwards.

Thanks for sharing.

This for myself only. Sissy's opinion is different.

I don't care about trades. I do care about a well maintained cache which means not wet, no trash.

Otherwise, challenge my mind or body, or show me something interesting.

Don't make puzzles tedious. If I wanted to work, I'd go in and get paid for it.

Give me an adventure.

This is something that I personally have been dealing with, the quality of caches. This is my opinion only and I am not passing judgment on any one or their caches. I want to find caches in great locations. I do like to find the bucket/altiods tin etc, but I love to go places I would not otherwise go. I have been to several really nice locations. I love this game and have been doing it since Feb ’01. I actually cache as myself and with separately with a friend, and don’t double count finds, I am not one of the numbers people, and I respect those who are. We all do this for many different reasons. As a matter of fact, I don’t log many of my finds here online, but I always do in the actual log book. I have not hidden many, only 4 as Exaibachey and a few more with friends, but I take great pride in the location that is chosen and I am reassured of this by reading the logs of the people who have found them. That is what makes this game/sport so great to me. Thanks for listening and asking.

Brad

my 7 year old has a range of 8 miles. However, he will be house-bound for a day recovering afterwards.

Care to trade yours for an 8yr old that usually maxes out at 700ft? He's actually gone a few miles when there were other kids to distract him, but that's generally the exception, not the rule.

:lol: What are three of your favorite caches and what made them so?

Wow! 18 miles :lol: . I don't even know if I could hike 18 miles :angry: . I did a 10 mile up in PA on a cache once and ached for 2 days :lol: . A good 6 miler is about our limit and, having tested it, my 7 year old has a range of 8 miles. However, he will be house-bound for a day recovering afterwards.

Thanks for sharing.

It kicked my butt...I was dragging and sore at work the next day, I had to bind my blisters (note: bad time to break in new boots) with duct-tape after running through my moleskin supply, I burned through my water supply and had to fill up from a stream (no giardia, thank god!), and loved every sintkin' minute of it (in retrospect :( ).

nfa-jamie

We do not much participate in forums...often have found them a terrific waste of time. 

So, we want to open up a topic about QUALITY. We understand that their are different levels of players and that people seek different things out of the hobby/sport and this is OK. May the New Year bring more quality caches.

Cheers, The Callan Crew Patriarch

So many questions for one thread. And what an interesting way to start off asking other forum participants for opinions.

OGosh by 1Groundpounder-I learned a lot about myself and geocaching this day. I attempted this early on in my two+ years of playing. It is a longer hike, in terrain I was not familiar with, and I did not yet understand how well (or not) GPSr's worked at times. Blindly following the arrow both got me in, and out of trouble. As often happens (still :angry: ) I discovered a much easier way back from the cache.

High Water by johnboy.nc. It was a close call between this one and the aforementioned Tube Torcher, but I'll give this one the nod. Once again I go places, and do things I otherwise wouldn't do (since adolescense),but someone hid a geocache there for me to find. A fantastic group experience.

The Falls by Kitegirl. Not the most scenic vista in the world. Not a 5 mile hike over rugged terrain. But a cache hidden in the woods I played in as a little boy. This one brought back a flood of happy childhood memories when I found it. The fact that I traveled to NJ to sit with my father the following day during his first chemo session only accented those feelings. (PS he is in FULL REMISSION now :D )

One of the first items I traded for was a rubber chicken keychain. It lead to the removal of many more keychains :lol: , which led to the initial contents of my very first hide.

A bumblebutton with a quote from Blaise Pascal-"We seek things not for themselves, but for the search."

Two other items have become my TB's- Hey Alvin and Treebeard. (sorry I know that's four, but the TB's could be 3A and 3B.)

As long as the logbook is dry, and the rest of the contents aren't a smelly pile of trash I do not much care. I usually do carry some swag and might trade for something of interest, but it's a low priority.

Show me something or somewhere I haven't seen before. One that requires the seeker to work for the find, either physically or mentally. I enjoy a well crafted urban hide, and a long hike in the woods too. I don't like to hike to a cache location, only to spot a telltale pile of sticks from 100' away. Part of the fun is actually having to find something once you get to its location. Sometimes a cache just makes me smile or laugh. That's a good enough reason for a hide too.

Accurate coordinates, fair D/T ratings, and an alert to any potential real dangers that may exist. Also a realistic list of special equipment if needed.

Log, it, put it back where I found it, and if necessary send a private email to the owner suggesting that they rethink that particular hide if it is way beyond "less that stellar." Not every cache will be a top ten, but some shouldn't even be in a bottom ten. That said-they did hide it for a reason, and want us to find it so I did. Maybe I just didn't understand the reason.

About two dozen. Several are on little known trails. Many are unusual urban micro hides near where I work. Either the container, or placement or both is the challenge for the seeker. I also tried to offer up a little history lesson on the cache page of some of those, since this is the Capitol city. A few are just designed to provoke a :( or :lol:

I get inspiration both positive and negative from every cache I have found. They all influence in some way the caches I choose to hide. I don't have any one individual to identify.

No a quantitative rating system for qualitywould be too subjective. I do like Markwell's concept of a "greatest hits" tracking system though.

Absolutely. Each type of cache can be judged on its own merits, as can each individual cache.

Yes, series caches are fine if there is a cohesive theme. I do not have a preference. Both types serve a purpose.

It has become a tradition around here to create a special cache for a player's #1000th. I am proud to be part of the committee that hid the first one of these. I have great respect for any cacher (2 so far) who can find it, or the one created for my centennial find. They are not intended to be easy. :lol:

Before then I did save certain caches for round numbers, up until the first trip to Nashville when I blew by a few of those '00's. Now I'll look for a special cache for every 250th I think.

Having found of few of the OP's caches already, I can say he is one hider who does get it.

I do not think there is any one clear definition for a quality cache. Much like the judge commenting on obscenity-I'll know it when I see it though.

Thanks for starting a thought provoking thread.

I have a personal rule that I cannot hide a new cache unless every one of my existing caches has been maintained and is not temporarily disabled. Right now, I have two disabled caches, so I can't hide new ones even though I have a garage full of containers and a notebook full of ideas and locations.

OOOH... That's a good rule. I think that I'll make that my personal rule, too. (Well, once I finish the ones I'm in the middle of - I'm doing a series, 12 caches and a bonus)

OGosh by 1Groundpounder-I learned a lot about myself and geocaching this day. I attempted this early on in my two+ years of playing. It is a longer hike, in terrain I was not familiar with, and I did not yet understand how well (or not) GPSr's worked at times. Blindly following the arrow both got me in, and out of trouble. As often happens (still :angry: ) I discovered a much easier way back from the cache.

High Water by johnboy.nc. It was a close call between this one and the aforementioned Tube Torcher, but I'll give this one the nod. Once again I go places, and do things I otherwise wouldn't do (since adolescense),but someone hid a geocache there for me to find. A fantastic group experience.

The Falls by Kitegirl. Not the most scenic vista in the world. Not a 5 mile hike over rugged terrain. But a cache hidden in the woods I played in as a little boy. This one brought back a flood of happy childhood memories when I found it. The fact that I traveled to NJ to sit with my father the following day during his first chemo session only accented those feelings. (PS he is in FULL REMISSION now :( )

One of the first items I traded for was a rubber chicken keychain. It lead to the removal of many more keychains :lol: , which led to the initial contents of my very first hide.

Having found of few of the OP's caches already, I can say he is one hider who does get it.

I do not think there is any one clear definition for a quality cache. Much like the judge commenting on obscenity-I'll know it when I see it though.

Thanks for starting a thought provoking thread.

Thanks for the thoughts. Glad your Dad is doing better now.

We have one of those rubber chickens out there as a TB ourselves (Vulcan Squab TB). They are indeed a hoot :lol: .

Thanks also for the vote of confidence and for seeking our caches :lol: .

Happy Holidays.

my 7 year old has a range of 8 miles. However, he will be house-bound for a day recovering afterwards.

Care to trade yours for an 8yr old that usually maxes out at 700ft? He's actually gone a few miles when there were other kids to distract him, but that's generally the exception, not the rule.

Wouldn't trade my 3 kids for the world. Although, one of the 3 year old twins may likely rival your 8 year old in a few years :angry: . (He just cannot keep up with his twin sister and older brother on our group outings.) However, put him on a playground and he suddenly finds bursts of energy :lol: . Who knows, a lot can change from 3 to 8...

Edited by TheCallanCrew

GOOD COORDINATES!!

Sturdy Container

Concise Cache Description in one or two paragraphs. A longer cache description with history of the area or personal revelations is fine by me, but the fundamental info about the cache is in the opening sentences.

A real hint - added information, not an encrypted riddle or some variation of "no clue for you"

No hint is fine too

I don't care about cache contents, as long as there's signable log.

Show me something - it doesn't have to be spectacular, just a bit different.

My own caches are in places I like to visit - they're there to show those places to you!

GOOD COORDINATES!!

A real hint - added information, not an encrypted riddle or some variation of "no clue for you"

No hint is fine too

Thanks for sharing.

Indeed. Here here for good coordinates. We recall some beauties where the coordinates were way off ;) , and after several trips we finally reviewed all the logs to find a few entries where some nice folks left us waypoint breadcrumbs :D .

Keep the breadcrumbs coming in log entries on those drifty coordinate caches. They are life savers :D .

We do not much care for the "no clue for you" or leaving no hint. However, if confessions are good for the soul...I must say that we do leave bad Haiku or encrypted riddles as hints every now and then. Well, perhaps not riddles, but we do employ plays on words, puns and esoteric references in line with the cache name or theme. We find these rather charming, but are aware that not everyone appreciates Haiku...particularly bad Haiku :D .

I dunno, a haiku would be a creative clue and would provide me with a chuckle when I decrypt it in desperation while hunting in the darkness and the rain. Something like

It's not in a stump

the fallen trees are cacheless

A rock is your friend

would beat the heck out of a long, rambling sentence that says the cache is so easy that no clue ought to even be necessary and that I am incompetent for even trying to decrypt the clue.