Mapsource Problems

mr magellan

Hi guys i have been using mapsource for a few months.

Now when i click on map source from by desktop i get a box open with

there is a problem with mapsource registry and tells me to reinstall the

program which i have done a few times with the same results any ideas

still have not heard back from garmin thanks Larry .

Here's what I would do (exactly the way I would do it):

I would try UNINSTALLING all of MapSource - that is Topo, MetroGuide, City Select, WorldMap, Roads and Recreation - ALL instances of MapSource products. Then be sure to delete the C:\Program Files\Garmin folder.

Then go to your Windows START button and click on "RUN"

Type in the word "REGEDIT" and then click "OK"

Double-Click the folder "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"

Double-Click the folder "SOFTWARE"

Click on the "Garmin" folder to highlight it

Press the "DELETE" key (on your keyboard)

Press "OK", "YES" or "NEXT" (whichever) to confirm you want to delete the registry key (because that's what you wanna do :) )

Close the Registry Editor

Reinstall your MapSource product(s)

Hi guys i have been using mapsource for a few months.

Now when i click on map source from by desktop i get a box open with

there is a problem with mapsource registry and tells me to reinstall the

program which i have done a few times with the same results any ideas

still have not heard back from garmin thanks Larry .

Mr M, by any chance did you recently try to delete a mapset like an old City Select by any chance? The one time I tried it I ended up crashing Mapsource but was lucky enough that re-running the latest version upgrade .exe put me back in business. It was long enough ago that I don't remember what kind of errors messages I got so I'm just taking a wild stab at it possibly being the same type of problem.

Good Luck, Olar

I have not yet succeeded to install MapSource on my XP. I get the same message about mapsource registry. I have tried to delete everything about Garmin and MapSource in the registry and on the harddisk. Nothing works. I have now installed MapSource on my old Windows 98 PC and there it works!

This isn't going to be of much help, but I've got Mapsource running on XP Home Edition, XP Media Edition and at work on an XP Professional edition.

I don't think XP is your problem. I would guess that it's something else.

When you edit the registry there is some information kept under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Garmin and some under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/software/Garmin.

Make sure that you delete both of these to completely clean your registry of Garmin information. Mapsource settings are stored under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Garmin in the registry so I'd bet that is something is corrupted and causing problems, it would be here and not under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

I must caution for you to be very careful when in your registry. You could easily mess up a lot more than just Mapsource.

There is an Export function in Regedit.exe so it is a good idea to make a backup before doing anything with your registry. Still be careful because you can mess things up enough that you won't even be able to launch Windows. A backup is worthless if things get that messed up.

I must caution for you to be very careful when in your registry. You could easily mess up a lot more than just Mapsource.

There is an Export function in Regedit.exe so it is a good idea to make a backup before doing anything with your registry. Still be careful because you can mess things up enough that you won't even be able to launch Windows. A backup is worthless if things get that messed up.

I can't emphasize this enough! Back up your registery before playing with it.

Finding I was getting messages that I should update my mapsource I bitterly regretted having done so when it immediately became inaccessible displaying 'runtime error' and 'registry error' messages at every attempt.

I followed various advice found on forums and found that using <regedit> was often advised in order to completely expunge the corrupted garmin files and info and thus get into a situation where I could re-load. It seems that the key to this is that nothing that relates to garmin should be in the computer. Regedit was denied to me at every attempt too. (I have spent nights and days on this :anibad: !)

But I found an answer in the end. I moved all my maps and garmin stuff that I wanted to keep onto an external drive and then by using C cleaner (CCleaner.com) to do the uninstalling, and correct registry errors, managed to get the computer clear and re-load the whole program.

Next I put trip and waypoint manager back too and all is now working happily with my GPS and with GSAK - so I'm ready for the Var event! :)

Edited by Imari

I'm using Windows XP Pro and something that has worked for me in the past is to do a system restore to a "Restore Point" prior to the time I started getting the registry error message. A lot safer than going into the registry unless you know what you are doing. As a safety precaution, it is very easy and quick to manually create a restore point prior to uninstalling or installing anything that could possibly create a registry problems. (Start > Help and Support > Undo changes to your computer with System Restore > Create a restore point > type in your description name > click Create) and then you can go back to that restore point and restore everything as of that time, if things don't work.

I had the same problem and I removed all garmin installed products.

After many attemps, I deleted the gamin folder and I deleted the 2 garmin folders in regedit (under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software) and it finally worked.