Socal Cache Police..who Are They?

medbery

went to find One Tin Soldier today and nothing was there but the card from Socal Cache Police. How do they determine that a cache will put a cacher in harms way? And that "it is a pile of S#$%"? what gives them the right to remove it?

Part of the attraction to geocaching was that it could be a family event, finding this today with my daughter reading the card ruins it for a lot of people.

Found the location of One Tin Soldier. Rolled up in a baggie was a business card sized note. It stated that the cache was a pile of S%#$ and put cachers in harms way. SOCAL CACHE POLICE was on it and at the bottom it was babling about keeping your opinions to yourself. Finally, the cache was gone.

Sounds less like "police" and more like a "lynchin' party" -- or nazis. Self-appointed "do-gooders" that are doing no good. It's sad when people take it upon themselves to "control" others activities in the name what they consider "right".

Maybe they'll start ensuring all caches in the area are not just "clean" and up to "standard", but also "moral" and "politically correct"

Evil lives on.

I think I saw a thread like this a few years ago. i can't find it now.

The people who did this are scum. If a cache is dangerous this site has ways to deal with it. You can email the owner, post a should be archived, or even ask the geocaching community for a second opinion. Removing the cache is just wrong.

As for the cache being a piece of S**T, i don't know because I've never been there. But it is not up to them to decide. If they didn't like it just go home and post a TNLNSL. Or if it really bugs you you don't have to log it.

Joe Smith

Sounds like an inside "joke" (not a particularly funny one, as far as I'm concerned) stemming from the cache owner's remarks on the So Cal Geocachers forums.

Wow, after following the SGC thread, I thought it all was very real. I'm about 100 miles south and don't personally know either cacher so maybe I can't read between the lines.

If its not an inside joke, its just one individual cacher, truned pirate.

Well, my own personal reaction is that it is a pretty vindictive move as well. However, I don't know the details, and I can't speak for the motives of the perpetrator (or his/her identity).

In any case, it is most likely a personal feud between two individuals and, as far as I'm concerned, is an issue that can be resolved locally. The most shameful part is what happened to the OP and what I'm sure it did to curb his enthusiasm for the sport.

Edited by Team PerkyPerks

Blech.... read the thread. People are waaaaaay too concerned about what other people should and should not do. Regardless of whether they appeal to the undefined "it's for the good of geocaching" -- it still smacks of control and an attempt to take ownership of something.

It's okay to enjoy your hobby, but sad when you tell people to how to enjoy theirs. This could all be solved if their "association/gang" compiled a list of "people we like to hunt caches from" and just stuck to that list. Maybe they could even create their own private rating system.

Isn't there some sort of saying "Don't Tread on Me"?

Gladly, we are not so cache dense (yes, I am aware that can be taken two ways) here.

Point of information:

Cache pirates would remove only the tradeable contents of a cache and leave a 'treasure map' pointing to a new nearby location where the contents could be found and replaced. The kindest pirates would also leave pirate-themed booty in place of the original tradeables and put the original contents into a new container that the map follower could keep and use to hide a totally new cache in.

Removing an entire cache (container, logbook, and all) and leaving a note without mentioning where or how to get it back is not a pirate's MO.

I believe a better term for those that would take everything and not give you a way of recovery would be "thief", "hoodlum", "jerk"...take your pick.

went to find One Tin Soldier today and nothing was there but the card from Socal Cache Police. How do they determine that a cache will put a cacher in harms way?

Just my 2 cents but this particular topic does NOT deserve National Attention. It's pretty much a local Southern California issue/dispute at hand just like Perky Perks were saying. If you are still in LA check out the Southern California Geocachers board at http://www.socalgeocachers.com for complete localized info.

Regards,

Richard N6UZS/RFO

went to find One Tin Soldier today and nothing was there but the card from Socal Cache Police.  How do they determine that a cache will put a cacher in harms way?

Just my 2 cents but this particular topic does NOT deserve National Attention. It's pretty much a local Southern California issue/dispute at hand just like Perky Perks were saying. If you are still in LA check out the Southern California Geocachers board at http://www.socalgeocachers.com for complete localized info.

Regards,

Richard N6UZS/RFO

Why not? this could have global implications (sorry for the tired cliche) for all geocachers should these kind of things spring up in their areas... It's a worthy discussion of the principles, I think.

Hello,

I'm the cache owner of One Tin Soldier. My cache went missing because of the comments I made on the SOCAL board (see links in posts above).

I certainly could have used other words on my "Needs Archiving" log that were less inflamatory. My intention was to say as clearly as possible, the problems a NUMBER of cachers in our area were having with these particular hides. Out of the 10 or so hides, 3 needed to be archived due to bad placement. I used the term, "in harms way" to indicate that it put cachers in situations that are not in the best interest of geocaching.

Having people searching right outside of the main entrance to a business can raise suspicion. After hours or the weekend is not much different. All these cache hides are right down the street from Disneyland. We've had caches blown up by bomb squads and even delayed the opening of Disneyland due to one being placed inside the park. In both those cases the cache was harmless, but the public didn't know that at the time. What it did was give GEOCACHING a bad name...to the local authorities and the public (don't you just love the liberal media?)

A number of cachers have passed by these offending caches. That was their choice. I don't tell them what caches they should do; they don't tell me what caches I shouldn't do. Wouldn't you agree that if it was approved by gc.com and found by others that it would be a safe cache to go after? Remember, the hider KNOWS where it is hidden, but the seeker must hunt for it with that strange device in his/her hand.

gc.com, was wise when they put the "Needs Archiving" selection on their logs. The purpose is to weed out caches that don't meet the guidelines of the game. The authority to archive those caches lie with the admins and the cache owner. The problem is that MOST people are untruthful in their logs. They'll say, "Thanks for the fun cache! Keep em coming." Then you talk to them in person and they tell you what they really thought of the cache hide. The log could have read more like, "Thank you for the cache. Its hidden in an area that brings a lot of attention to the hunter though. If you could move it 30' away, it would make it more enjoyable." You have to admit, there are a number of caches that you have done that were not well thought out and put you in a compromising situation. If not, come to Southern CA and I'll help educate you!

What the post was NOT about was the type of hides. If you want to hide it under a lamp post, in a guardrail, under a mail box, etc. Fine. But wherever you hide it, please think about the people who must search for it. Keep them safe from trouble! Its not a good idea to hide a cache under playground equipment as the Moms in the area may not appreciate this man with a thing in his hand climbing all over the very equipment their kids are playing on. If he comes back later and is spotted, it would be suspicious also. Here in SOCAL evil people have hidden razor blades and nail boards around playground equipment. The Police and the neighborhoods are very fearful. Best not to place a cache there!

As far as my missing cache goes, it was hidden very well in a park with a wonderful overlook. At night you can see downtown Los Angeles and the fireworks at Disneyland. It was hidden under a LARGE fake rock which cost me $50.00. When I went to check on the cache, not only was the cache gone (large plastic jar), but the rock was taken too. This cache did not put anyone in "harms way". If you read the logs you will see that it was well received and appreciated. Its destruction was due to my comments and opinions.

The comment on the bottom of the card said, "Hey a**hole keep your opinions to yourself. The Cache Police are now here."

The owner of the caches that started this controversy is a nice person. I can certainly understand how she would feel attacked. She did send me a very nice e-mail which I replied to. She was NOT the problem. The HIDE was the problem. Many people tried to offer suggestions and they all went ignored for almost 2 months.

The person who destroyed my cache is a coward. If they would ever like to confront me directly, I would welcome that. I have MANY friends who disagreed with some of my comments. That's OK. We can agree to disagree and still be friends and cache together at the end of the day. I have never, or will never, trash a cache. Its sad that this happened to me.

The person who did this has yet to come forward. The speculations from the community are flying and interestingly are all saying the same thing. I tell them that I can not and will not agree without more proof.

I want an apology, nothing more. Then, let's go caching! I certainly can understand how emotions can run high in this game. Forgivness is only one apology away.

Lastly, the cache hider hid another new cache and it was well though out and executed! I said so in my log! Its NOT the hider; it was the HIDE that was the problem. See the new cache here...DANG ME

Lessons learned:

Please think about the peole who must look for you cache, when hiding it.

Be truthful (polite) in your logs!

Some people are cowards and thats just the way it goes.

I love this game and support it highly! I talk to Amateur Radio Clubs about Geocaching and have brought a number of people into the game. I host Events at a personal expense to me and enjoy every minute of it. I have met the best people in the world from all different backgrounds whom I respect and love.

Thanks for hearing me out!

Dino - K6RIX

...I believe a better term for those that would take everything and not give you a way of recovery would be "thief", "hoodlum", "jerk"...take your pick.

Cache Maggot has been working for me.

I actually wrote that and removed it. I knew you had made that a definable term and at the time I posted, I couldn't recall if it was the same definition.

I was shocked to read this from someone with so many finds. I wonder if your policing opinions would let you keep your find total so high.

Policing caches from your opinionated opinion is completely wrong to how this game should be played. I can think of many examples that in your opinion the cache sucks or dangerous and should be archived but yet are some of the best hides I've ever seen.

Here's a example: you come into my town and are looking for a cache. Coords bring you to the side of our city courthouse in plain view of the police station. You stumble around and find the cache log it and then post a note on the log to have it archived since its not up to your standards being a key container on some metal stairway to the entrance of a courthouse. In your opinionate opinion this could lead to a cacher being in danger. but man HOW RUDE OF YOU!!!! what you missed that day cause the officer that hid it was off, is that this cache is in plain sight of his office window and when he see's cachers looking for this cache, he gets to go accost them and sternly ask what there doing. After the accused stare white eyed and babble with some nonsense he'll break into a big smile and blurt out the name of the cache causing most cacher's to fall over laughing. It makes for some very interesting logs. You want that archived!!!!!!! its one of the best logs I get to read!!!

Shame on you for believiing as a player your opinion matters more then the hider....

Theres my disgusted opinion.......

I was shocked to read this from someone with so many finds. I wonder if your policing opinions would let you keep your find total so high.

Policing caches from your opinionated opinion is completely wrong to how this game should be played. I can think of many examples that in your opinion the cache sucks or dangerous and should be archived but yet are some of the best hides I've ever seen.

Here's a example: you come into my town and are looking for a cache. Coords bring you to the side of our city courthouse in plain view of the police station. You stumble around and find the cache log it and then post a note on the log to have it archived since its not up to your standards being a key container on some metal stairway to the entrance of a courthouse. In your opinionate opinion this could lead to a cacher being in danger. but man HOW RUDE OF YOU!!!! what you missed that day cause the officer that hid it was off, is that this cache is in plain sight of his office window and when he see's cachers looking for this cache, he gets to go accost them and sternly ask what there doing. After the accused stare white eyed and babble with some nonsense he'll break into a big smile and blurt out the name of the cache causing most cacher's to fall over laughing. It makes for some very interesting logs. You want that archived!!!!!!! its one of the best logs I get to read!!!

Shame on you for believiing as a player your opinion matters more then the hider....

Theres my disgusted opinion.......

You have this all wrong and you obviously missed the part about it NOT being about whether I (or anyone else) likes the hide. I'm speaking specifically about the situation it puts you and me in as a cacher. Hate micros, hate lamp post hides, hate hikes; that is NOT the issue. Keeping you and the GAME safe is.

The cache you mentioned was placed with the KNOWLEDGE and the PERMISSION of the owner/city/police dept. The cache I speak of was not. Don't forget, I'm not the only person who feels this way.

Now, since you seem to hold my high numbers in some sort of esteem, don't you think it might be possible that I actually know what I'm talking about? Could you kindly give me the benefit of the doubt. Out of 1400 finds, I can count on ONE HAND how many caches NEED to be archived. I'd say that is some ratio, wouldn't you?

I did not "shame" the person who hid the cache or any other cacher for that matter. I'm talking about the hide, not the person. Why are you so quick to "shame" me?

Now, try to stay on topic and keep up. Thank you for your opinion.

Dino - K6RIX