Spinning Signal Situation Solved

mtn-man

I was a bit slow in ordering the antenna balls. After reading the topic regarding the problems I ordered 7 of them to test some ideas I had. It looks like I may have a solution.

Disclaimer: Understand that you the user assume all risks and liabilities if you choose to use this method. I am not responsible for any injuries you may incur.

You will need the following items.

A drill.

A new 1/2" WOOD drill bit (important, must be a wood bit).

A large paperclip (or a toothpick will work but you have to be careful not to break it).

A VERY sharp knife, like a utility knife or a razor knife.

You need some foam. If you don't have any you can go to Home Depot and get 2.25" square foam pieces that are about 3 feet long. They will be in the weather stripping aisle. It is called "Air Conditioner Foam" and is used to seal around window air conditioner units.

(Sorry about the some of the fuzzy pictures here.)

First, cut the foam into a piece that is roughly the same height as Signal's head. You do not have to have a perfect cut.

e5b883b8-ab8e-4823-9667-ca9d73f9aaea.jpg

The piece is a bit to wide, so you will need to trim off the corners with the knife. As you can see it needs to be larger than Signal's head to be snug on the inside.

fa255119-aad3-446c-82d2-8ca897f2071b.jpg

Next, make a slot in the foam. BE CAREFUL! Do not cut your fingers. Make the slot go all the way through and make it about 1/2" wide or so.

d1858f5a-7c56-4baa-a735-be9a2320b0eb.jpg

Turn the foam piece and make another slot at 90 degrees to the first one. This will give you a hole all the way through the foam.

d677ddfc-73f2-4863-a5c0-4388c8bf08d4.jpg

Now, get Signal. Use the drill bit to make the hole in the bottom larger. Use the existing hole as your guide.

2cab2e66-0fff-4ffd-99de-47dc48437ec0.jpg

Drill out the bottom. Use the toothpick or paperclip to fish out the piece you have cut out.

2b4de163-f940-4b0c-a288-23c6cc80e258.jpg

There may be a little flux. Just peel it off or use the knife to trim it out. BE CAREFUL not to hurt yourself or to damage the hole you have cut.

e989332b-9a25-4c5b-87c8-1c9fea92a2bd.jpg

Now for the fun part! Take the foam and put the toothpick or paperclip through the hole you have made. This will keep the hole straight as you push the foam into the antenna ball.

224b0533-025f-44ce-a4be-536e17702eec.jpg

Compress the foam EQUALLY around the toothpick or paperclip starting at the end that you will push in first. Take your time, this is the critical part. Start working the foam into the antenna ball by twisting it back and forth and pushing it in.

023897f9-6737-4e02-82ae-6ce65d937116.jpg

You will now have the foam inside the antenna ball and the toothpick or paperclip will have kept the hole straight so it will sit on your antenna properly. You can put it on your antenna and he will be a happy frog!

b94bb595-3932-4b9c-8815-e305958d6f7a.jpg

I hope this works. Please feel free to post any questions or comments. If someone has another method that would be very cool too. This was an easy and inexpensive solution with products that are easily available.

I don't think so. That was my first idea.

It comes out as a foam, but is expands and dries hard as a rock (I think). It sticks to whatever it touches permanently. It only cleans up with acetone, which is something I have around the house but I would bet not many people would. I also think the acetone would eat the plastic antenna ball if you try to clean the Great Stuff off.

You could get it on your antenna but you could never get it off.

actually, great stuff might really work if....

you get a small diameter dowel and smother it in vaseline. fill the frog with great stuff and quickly insert the greased-up dowel. as it begins to set, (i know, this sounds sick, but try it) start to gently & evenly rotate or spin the dowel so the great stuff doesnt set up on the dowel. the foam will dry, but it's not as dense or hard as you think.

looks like mtnman isnt the only gyno here <_<

actually, great stuff might really work if....

you get a small diameter dowel and smother it in vaseline. fill the frog with great stuff and quickly insert the greased-up dowel. as it begins to set, (i know, this sounds sick, but try it) start to gently & evenly rotate or spin the dowel so the great stuff doesnt set up on the dowel. the foam will dry, but it's not as dense or hard as you think.

looks like mtnman isnt the only gyno here <_<

I think greasing a frog is against the law in a few states. Or is the FCC regulating that too?

Thanks MM for the directions WITH pictures...

I don't think the expanding foam would work as good as the foam that stays soft. Most antennas have a larger knob at the end. If you use hard foam, the hole must be large enough for the knob to slip through, leaving the foam loose and wobbly around the shaft. The softer foam like mtn-man shows will expand again once the knob slips past and hold tight on the shaft.

Boy that could sound really bad if I wasn't talking about antenna balls <_<

Most antennas have a larger knob at the end. If you use hard foam, the hole must be large enough for the knob to slip through, leaving the foam loose and wobbly around the shaft. The softer foam like mtn-man shows will expand again once the knob slips past and hold tight on the shaft.

That too. He would still wobble just a bit. Right now he stays steady. We have one on each of our vehicles. My wife drives *a bit* faster than I do, so she will be the real stress tester! <_<

Back when I had a car with a stationary antenna, I put deer balls on, around Christmas time. They were about the same size as Signal and really cute. After some time they would wear a bit and also spin around.

It was less trouble to just replace them, as a couple would last through the winter. Of course they were much cheaper and could be gotten locally, a pair of deer balls were just under a buck. Getting them locally saved on shipping costs too.

ROFLMAO :rolleyes::unsure::P

Please don't stop this thread, it's the funniest thing I have read for months. And all perfectly on-topic.

My only mistake was reading it while eating a sandwich.. anyone know how to get peanut butter out of the corners of an LCD monitor?

Thanks so much, mtn-man. I think I will try your method when I am feeling REALLY patient. :rolleyes:

Right now I am just so happy to have my froggy. I was afraid I had lost him a few days ago. I was on the fwy, cruising at 70 when I heard a *thunk*, like something had hit the roof of my car. I was startled, puzzled, and kept on going. THEN, I suddenly wondered if it was Signal, bouncing off my car and onto the 605. :P

I was anxious to get to my destination so I could check for the frog. It was right where it belonged. Don't know what the *THUNK* was. Possibly the added weight of the ball caused the antenna to bend at fwy speed and bump the roof. :unsure:

Er, what kind of car do you have where you can't see your antenna from your driving position?

Jamie

Old Toyota hatchback. Antenna is screwed into the frame part at the side of the windshield. It tilts back, following the angle of the frame. Can't see it from inside unless I stick my head out and look up. :rolleyes::unsure:

I don't think so. That was my first idea.

It comes out as a foam, but is expands and dries hard as a rock (I think). It sticks to whatever it touches permanently. It only cleans up with acetone, which is something I have around the house but I would bet not many people would. I also think the acetone would eat the plastic antenna ball if you try to clean the Great Stuff off.

You could get it on your antenna but you could never get it off.

Any home with anyone who paints his/her nails (gotta be PC :rolleyes: guys can paint their nails too) will probably have acetone. Unless you buy a special nail polish remover, that's all that nail polish remover is.

Any home with anyone who paints his/her nails (gotta be PC :rolleyes: guys can paint their nails too) will probably have acetone. Unless you buy a special nail polish remover, that's all that nail polish remover is.

Great point. I forgot since I don't paint my nails much anymore. :unsure::P

Thanks for the info.

Ever consider a second career in gynecology?

Hmm, I was thinking he was an olive stuffer before he started his present career. B)

PS to jamieZ and anyone else who cares-my wife drives a VW Passat; antenna is mounted at the rear of the roof in the center. I drive a Nissan Murano; antenna is mounted on the roof at the front edge in the center. I suppose if I opened the sunroof and leaned back a bit I might be able to see it, but then someone would need to clean the deer balls off of my grill. B)

Er, what kind of car do you have where you can't see your antenna from your driving position?

Jamie

There's quite a few out there. Some Subaru's....the Ford Focus (I think it was, antenna mounted on the front middle of the roof, right above the windshield) and cars with the antenna mounted to the rear would be tough to see while driving......

Having now lost TWO (count 'em TWO :ph34r::ph34r: ) Signal antenna toppers to mtn-man's suggestion, I think I'm ready to propose a suggestion of my own.

First of all, he's right about the foam. It works great, does the job. However, there's a non-surgical procedure that will work just fine.

(please excuse the lack of visual aids for this posting)

1. Cut the foam in thin strips. You'll need several of these

2. Using your fingers (or someone else's fingers) compress the middle of the strip and place it over the hole on the bottom of the antenna topper.

3. Using a small screwdriver or anything else that will fit in the antenna hole, JAM (I repeat JAM) the foam inside the antenna topper. If you're doing it right, Signal might make this face: :ph34r:

4. Keep jammin' foam up there until you're pretty sure you've jammed all the foam into Signal that you can. By the time you're done, he should look like this: :ph34r:

All the foam is doing is providing structure within the antenna topper to keep it from rattling around. Once it's full enough, jab (this is different than JAM) it on top of your antenna. Like so: :ph34r:

End of story...works great..no more rattle and doesn't come off in car washes or when really fast semis blow by you.

Bret