Premium Membership

Better Half

Just wondering if the Premium Membership has ever been considered for a family plan? That maybe a discount could be had if more than one person caching in a family could get a discounted rate after the initial Premium membership for other family members that also enjoy the sport???

Has it been discussed? Was it decided against? etc...

Just wondering, and I hadn't seen anything posted about this topic. But, I never had any luck searching forums. So don't blast me!

Thanks

Happy Caching!

B1/2

I like the idea.

My current family plan is one premium membership (my wife) and one regular membership (for me). I don't really need a second premium membership because I have figured out how to get around all the limitations, but if it costs a few buck on top of the current premium membership fees, I would gladly pay it.

But it would be a problem for GC to police such a system because of the annoymity of each of us in the system. How is Jeremy going to verify that users claiming to be a family really are?

But it would be a problem for GC to police such a system because of the annoymity of each of us in the system. How is Jeremy going to verify that users claiming to be a family really are?

Well I could tell you where my wife has her little teddy bear tatoo hidden but then I would have to provide some photographic proof and I don't think she would go along with it. :rolleyes:

I am Better Half's other half and I hold a premium membership and I know a bunch of caching couples that log separately and hunt together sometimes and alone sometimes. I think it would be a great thing to offer some sort of family plan. I think that there would be alot of folks that would be willing to sign up under a family plan that are not signed up now.

The happy couple of Team Neos would also love to see a family membership available.

Since Neos1 and I usually cache together, we don't need two full premium accounts (I am thinking of additional PQs mostly when I say that). On the other hand, because we sometimes cache without each other, we log our caches separately.

Right now we are using three accounts (two non-premium and one premium) to accomplish what we feel we need. It would be nice to be able to log separately from one joint account (and I suppose it would save an iota or two of server space, as well).

I would be glad to pay a few extra dollars to have that ability.

One way to at least make a start of it would be to only allow one set of home coordinates for a 'family plan'. Sure you could ignore that, or maybe you wouldn't mind having the same coordinates as your neighbour, but I think in general that would be enough to discourage most 'cheaters'.

In my experience those who are going to cheat, are going to cheat what ever you do, if you can get a little bit of money out of them at the same time, well thats just a bonus isn't it.

On the other hand, what about a family which includes two adults and two kids? The kids grow up, decide that they want to cache alone and end up moving to another area of the country. They want their own "home" coords. Clearly, there would need to be some means by which to split off an account from a family account, so as to allow this sort of situation to happen. Perhaps if there was a "family" page which lists all the members of the "family" (sorta like the Team page idea which was bantered about recently).

I would think that limiting it to a posible 1/2 price for the second would be okay but what about the families I have met that have all 6 of their kids with their own memberships. And then grandparents start caching too, so there could be as many as 8 or more per family membership.

In my experience those who are going to cheat, are going to cheat what ever you do, if you can get a little bit of money out of them at the same time, well thats just a bonus isn't it.

Right On!

I'm not cheating.

I would pay $20.00 more for my Wife, We lOVE to compete with each other!

MO money = better Groundspeak server?

On the other hand, what about a family which includes two adults and two kids? The kids grow up, decide that they want to cache alone and end up moving to another area of the country.

Have no lifetime family membership, you can only renew by 1 year?

1signature2zl.jpg

On the other hand, what about a family which includes two adults and two kids? The kids grow up, decide that they want to cache alone and end up moving to another area of the country.

Just when you go to change the home coordinates from a family member account have it tell you that you can't do that except from the 'master' account, unless you pay x dollars.

From the sounds of things though the implementation could be a little complicated if not done carefully enough, so why reinvent the wheel, does anyone know how other sites do it? If any exist?

Can anyone point to another site that successfully implemented this idea? I'm not even sure where to start.

I wish I knew of another site that does this, but I can't. But here's the thoughts running through my head.

----

This could be part of the upcoming lists feature. I could crate a list that has my family members in it. When logging a cache, there would be a drop box that you could click (control click) when logging caches. This would be helpful if a couple with kids break up, and the kid caches with one person one week, then with the other parent the other.

----

Accounts can be linked internally. Each account has a field that can link to another account. This field could be used to create a hierachy, or a circlular reference.

In a circular reference, Member A point to member B, Member B links to member C, Member C points to Member A.

As a hierarchy, The primary accout points to null, subordinate account(s) point to the primary. Also, these names would be static in the "Lists" feature.

----

As far as identifying if these subordinate accounts had premium benifits, I would need to know more details on the DB design, so I will leave that to TPTB.

Hmm... Well I'd be more inclined to allow Premium Members the ability to invite other accounts to become premium members for a discount, and not to discriminate between family members and friends. How does that sound?

Like gmail invites, you could invite 5 other geocachers to join for a year at $20 each. Just an idea not well formulated yet.

Hmm... Well I'd be more inclined to allow Premium Members the ability to invite other accounts to become premium members for a discount, and not to discriminate between family members and friends. How does that sound?

Like gmail invites, you could invite 5 other geocachers to join for a year at $20 each. Just an idea not well formulated yet.

I like this idea, I can already think of the five...is there any way to give them as gifts, like to my wife or father for example (I know, take a great idea, and complicate it...just thinking).

Thanks for the cool idea,

nfa-jamie

That sounds like one heck of an option. I do have friends that I would send them an invite.

However, that is not my situation... I anticipate is that my daughter will one day be on her own. She enjoys caching and will likely do that on her own, possibly even "merge" with another cacher in some other phase of her life. Once she is out on her own, I would gladly send her an invite.

The problem is... how can easily I identify the caches that "we" go to from the caches that "I" go to. I could do two seperate accounts with two seperate entries, but there could be a better solution. It would be great to log a cache with a "this person was with me" check box. When her seperate account moved along with her, then she would carry the 300 some odd caches that she has visited.

I guess what I would love to see is that ability to make joint logs. Two or more cachers in one log entry. I realize there are thoughts to go along with this, first one is trqavel bugs.

Still in the early stages of the brainstorming...

Thanks

- Mob

I guess what I would love to see is that ability to make joint logs. Two or more cachers in one log entry.

This is really a separate request from family Premium Memberships, so I'll address it briefly. The common thought which I agree to is that users should write their own log entries even if they found the cache together, since they have a different perspective of their find. Understandably if you are unable to post your own entry (too young, etc) someone could write it for them. I know of one user who logs for their dog with interesting results.

Adding an invite feature would take some work. Once we get some priority projects done to make me look good in the eyes of the old timers, I'll look into this ;)

Yes, this thread has been going in two seperate directions. For me, logging two seperate entries would not be too hard. I have a caching buddy that has 6 kids in his house. Making up to 8 seperate log entries would be time consuming, especially if you add the hustle and bustle that already exists in that large of household. Since the concept of joint logs is not being taken well, I will drop that as a feature request.

As far as discounted invites.. bring them on! Please consider on qty per year, since there are new cachers coming on board all the time.

So if my father is a premium member and I am a pm, then if we want to save money, one of us has to invite the other to renew? Can a $20 member invite five more to join for $20 or is just a $30 member going to have the option to invite five? Will the $20 member be able to renew at $20 or will they have to pay the $30 or wait until they get another gift invite from someone? Can you invite yourself to renew at the reduced rate? If not how long do you have to be a regular member before accepting a reduced invite? Very confusing.

So if my father is a premium member and I am a pm, then if we want to save money, one of us has to invite the other to renew? Can a $20 member invite five more to join for $20 or is just a $30 member going to have the option to invite five? Will the $20 member be able to renew at $20 or will they have to pay the $30 or wait until they get another gift invite from someone? Can you invite yourself to renew at the reduced rate? If not how long do you have to be a regular member before accepting a reduced invite? Very confusing.

If I invite myself 3 times can I get a free year? :rolleyes:

This isn't the kind of topic where you ask me questions and I give you an answer. It isn't an existing feature. If you have a question you need to post a solution to make it less confusing for you (if that is the case).

Then my solution to the problem might be that becoming a premium member gives you the bonus of being able to invite one person to join at the reduced rate, whether you use it for family, as a gift for some one who might otherwise not join or not do anything with it. That would still make the joining at full rate the one with the benifit.

Edited by Riddlers

I like it! I know at least one person I'd like to invite. Don't know how gmail does invites (no one has invited me yet, oh woe is me :rolleyes:. ), but it would be nice if, if someone you invited didn't accept the invite that it didn't decrease the number of people you could invite... Just a thought.

Then my solution to the problem might be that becoming a premium member gives you the bonus of being able to invite one person to join at the reduced rate, whether you use it for family, as a gift for some one who might otherwise not join or not do anything with it.

That is pretty much what I suggested, though I allowed for 5 such invites. This is different than the other suggestion to allow gift membership certificates for cache prizes.

My original question was based on a family situation. But it seems to have turned into the Verizon plan for friends and family so to say. I have been watching and reading this thread on a daily basis. I like the discussion, and decided to jump in here.

I figure something like .....

Premium member number one: $30 per year

Ivitee #1 membership: $20 per year

etc. up to five invitees???

Discount should be based on the one payment per year, and not the monthly option.

What about when the years up and the renewal rate, does the "Invitees" stay at $20 or do they move up to the $30 range? Or would the original Inviter be able to re-invite the Invitee for the same $20 rate?

I appreciate Jeremy's time for consideration for my question and the input from the other cachers.

Thanx,

B1/2

Can anyone point to another site that successfully implemented this idea? I'm not even sure where to start.

Hi Jeremy, The morning after your post, I recieved an offer from NetFlix. I now have 2 additional accounts under a master account, each member of the family now has thier own independant list. The master account has control over the subordinate accounts, including passwords and such. I realize there are all kinds of differences, but the concept is there, and it has been done successfully. :D

Edited by Moose Mob
Hi Jeremy, The morning after your post, I recieved an offer from NetFlix. I now have 2 additional accounts under a master account, each member of the family now has thier own independant list.

I don't think you get 2 extra movies per family member. But the idea of allowing family members to have access to SOC could be done this way, or sharing the 5 daily pocket queries. Thanks for the suggestion.

I am not sure if this is the same, but I have Earthlink as a internet service provider. From my master account login, I can set things for the other accounts such as parental controls, user names, reset passwords etc. Each person can login under there own username as password, but I can see there visited sites etc. I would imagine something like this would be how the family arrangement might work, but I do believe that this is a major site redesign, and as such, would wait for a major website upgrade. I do not know of a forum to do this, but from a forum perspective, the accounts need no tbe linked.

The ability to disassociate your self may or may not be trival, but if building this capabilty from scratch, then it would be something to factor in.

has there been any new developments on this idea? I'd more than likely jump on this if offered. My wife and I cache togather and seperatly. However, without the second premium account she cannot log any member only caches I may have on my PQ. The PQ doesn't list MOCs so we don't know which are member only until we go to log the caches. Lately, due to local caches dissappearing, it seemsthat alot of the caches are being changed to MOCs.

Jeramy, thanks for the consideration on this Idea.

One thought I had about this is in our case there are only limited features that an additional account needs to use; mainly PM forum features, MO, bookmarks, etc. The heavyweight features we dont need duplicated like PQs.

One way you could do it is a two tiered membership where for all intents and purposes they look the same to someone on the outside, but are actually tied together. By using the subscription mechanism, the first person to use the S-xxxxxxxxx number becomes the full member. The second person to use it becomes the partial member. Up to 4 people can use it.

In our case, the way I'm envisoning it, if I sign up this account under our main account, considering I'm part of that account anyway, I'd inherent the Charter Membership and every that goes along with it except for PQs.

I don't know how sever intensive bookmarks are, but if they are, I'd drop them for the addtional accounts, too. I'm only talking the trivial PM features.

To discourage strangers from passing around the number, the division of each profile is transparent. Meaning any one person under that same subscription number can edit any other person's profile. This would mean each person in your circle you would have to trust enough to be the same as just handing them your password to the site.

Further, to encourage on single families use this feature, all home coordinates are tied to the primary account.

Now, I would be willing to pay a bit extra for this feature, but $10 is the max additional I would pay for MOs, bookmarks, etc. Those just aren't that important to me to pay any more. If they were, I'd just spring for an additional PM account.

This is not a trivial change, but I think it's not as complicated as it sounds.

Just saw this thread and would like to throw in my two cents. We have seperate accounts for each family member (four total). My husband and I both have premium memberships and will continue to do so. While we don't have many MOC around here there are a few, I'd simply like the ability for my kids to log those caches. They don't need all the other features.

Just saw this thread and would like to throw in my two cents. We have seperate accounts for each family member (four total). My husband and I both have premium memberships and will continue to do so. While we don't have many MOC around here there are a few, I'd simply like the ability for my kids to log those caches. They don't need all the other features.

We are in that same boat here. Wife and Husband Premium Members, 2 kids not premium members. Logging the MO caches are what we would like to see most of this.

I would add an additional prespective: many young kids are not allowed to have e-mail addresses by their parents. But they are allowed on-line and to deal with other geocaching stuff. (I am talking about the age level that 85% of the swag in geocaches is aimed at). A family plan would allow parents to manage their kids situation. In other words, the parent (main account holder) would decide what rights the kids have and which e-mail address would be used for what. It would also be important for kids to spin-off their parents account when they are ready to handle thier own financial stuff.

I think this could well be a valuable marketing tool for Groundspeak, as it would send the signal that this IS definitely a family activity. But I would urge TPTB to please consult with parents of childeren of all ages as to which feature are important and how to implement them.

. While we don't have many MOC around here there are a few, I'd simply like the ability for my kids to log those caches. They don't need all the other features.

What about setting it up like what works at Health Clubs.

Say I'm a paying member of a helth club and want to invite a friend from work who does not belong to the club to play handball with me.

The club would give me some guest passes just for that purpose.

On the logging pages of GC we have a window showing what Travel Bugs are in our inventory. What about a simular window labeled "Hunting Partners"

As a PM I would put anyone I hunted with in that "inventory" then I would log first and anyone I highlighted (regular member) would then be allowed to view and log that MOC.

I don't know the workings beneath the site to know if this would work, but what if another user group (member type, or whatever) was created that had access to PMO cache listings, bookmark lists, Off Topic forum, and any other non-PQ feature open to PMs. The form to purchase said membership type, however, would only be available when logged into a PM account, and could be $10 a year, or $1 a month, or whatever amount, and include some sort of validation to ensure the payment is made from the same account as the primary. If only open to users in the same household, maybe any secondary accounts could automatically contain the same home coords and mailing address.

Like I said, I don't know how to implement such functionality or if it's even possible, but I think it would be a great service to families and married/co-habitating couples.