No Log Caches

Muddybuddy

I hope no one in my area reads this (just in case my cache eventually gets approved), but I have a question.

Over Thanksgiving, I went to Arkansas and found a cache that was essentially a magnetic strip the size of a bumper sticker attached to a metal box (some utility) in a park. The "logbook" was a piece of paper that was under the magnet and the outside of the magnet had numbers and letters attached so as to look like it was a decal applied to the utility box. The paper was wet and no amount of writing would have left my mark, so I thought IMHO that a cache like this would be best served by having a password type system instead of a physical logbook. Problem: Rule number one of GC.com is that a physical cache have a logbook.

I thought about making it virtual, but it is really just a plain utility box and that would negate the cool factor of finding a secret message written on the underside of the magnet, as they wouldn't have to lift the magnet to see it.

I am trying to place a "sample" cache like this in my area, but I really don't want to put a piece of paper under the magnet just for it to get soggy. I will archive the cache relatively quickly (maybe like 2 months) because the spot really has no redeeming value. I just liked the hunt for the one I found and would like to incorporate it into a multicache, but before I do, I want to see everyone's reaction to it.

If this were merely a stage in a multi, there would be no problem as there would be a logbook at the end, but I just want to see how many people get it.

So.... I pose two questions for you...

1.) Why are "password" type caches with no logbook not allowed?

2.) What would you do?

Thanks for your help!

A cache is a cache of things.

A password would be nothing other than a virtual cache. No cache just something to verify you were there.

No cacher should have to email for permission to log a find. If they found it than they log it.

BTW. Temporary caches are not allowed. A cache is expected to be semi-permanent.

I had an identical cache and used National Geographic Adventure Paper glued to the back of the magnetic strip. It lasted close to a year and was in still in good shape at the end.

As far as the reasoning behind the log requirement. It came about the same time as the crackdown on virtuals and I think it was part of this website's desire to get back to the core of this sport which is finding caches.

A cache is a cache of things.

Not necessarily. I don't see where that is the case with a virtual, photocache, locationless or event cache.

A password would be nothing other than a virtual cache. No cache just something to verify you were there.

Well, yes.... to an extent. The goal is really to get them to figure out that you can turn the magnet over, thus the need for a password hidden on the underside.

No cacher should have to email for permission to log a find. If they found it than they log it.

Why not? I think that they obviously have internet access if they are on the GC site. Besides, I wasn't saying that they have to e-mail before they post a find, just that they be able to confirm with the password if I am suspicious that they found it.....

BTW. Temporary caches are not allowed. A cache is expected to be semi-permanent.

Well... I guess I will just leave it. Or maybe not. There is that "semi" in there. Please, don't be a rules lawyer. That clause was put in there to ensure that caches wouldn't be made of paper, be blown away, be available for only one cacher, etc.... Being a rules lawyer really doesn't help anyone..

Here's anotehr reason.

What lamer than a lame micro? Even lamer than a lame virt?

A lame code-word cache!

Code word caches are getting to extreme opposite end of what the hobby was originally supposed to be. At least with virts you are supposed to be taken to an interesting spot. With a code-word cache, you could conceivably have a cache without the beneift of a decent location or a decent hunt.

"What's the number painted on the I95 overpass north bound at exit 98?" Bingo! A code word cache.

No thanks.

There is nothing inherently "wrong" with password caches. To each their own game.

What you will need to do though is list them on a different website if you want to have them listed. This could be your own site or a site like http://www.navicache.com or http://www.terracaching.com . The latter site actually has specific features for password caches but requires that the cache adventure be one of better than average quality.

I am sorry you see this as lame....

This is different from driving down the road in that you have to look for the codeword and it is HIDDEN like a cache would be.

I think that each cacher can decide what kind of caches they would like to go after and if they get a few to their dislike, so be it. Variety is the spice of life.

If you are complaining because you think it "blocks" other caches in the area, that couldn't be further from the truth and that is why I chose to put this in a residential neighborhood.

If you don't read the cache page to see what you are getting into, then it is really your own fault....

I am sorry you see this as lame....

This is different from driving down the road in that you have to look for the codeword and it is HIDDEN like a cache would be.

I think that each cacher can decide what kind of caches they would like to go after and if they get a few to their dislike, so be it. Variety is the spice of life.

If you are complaining because you think it "blocks" other caches in the area, that couldn't be further from the truth and that is why I chose to put this in a residential neighborhood.

If you don't read the cache page to see what you are getting into, then it is really your own fault....

Actually, one exactly like you are talking about was put in our area. As of today, no one has logged in online though the physical cache has been signed as "Found it." I personally consider it one of the lamest in town along with a few others in the same area.

But, no, you go right ahead. Find the crappiest place you can possibly find to hide a cache. You are responsible for the reputation that you create. Keep hiding those like that and you'll find that few folks will go out of their way to find those you put out.

You want folks to jump all over them, then you need to start putting a bit more thought into them.

Take my advise or leave it, but I see happening right here, right now.

BTW, I was illustrating an extreme example of a code-word cache. Nothing said it had to be hidden like you are suggesting. Some virts you can complete without even stopping, I know, we've done it. With a code word cache, like was said, you're creating the virt, nothing else.

The reason I like this idea is that it was a clever hide. I would like other people to experience the fun that I had looking for a similar one.

That's very admirable.

But you can make it better than just placing it on some random box.

Take them to some place interesting. I'm sure you can find a park with a box somewhere. Hide it there. These things are all over the place. Don't just make it about some cheap trick. Because, you know you can only use it once and then the trickiness is gone.

Don't waste it.

I don't expect people to go out of their way to find it......

I have a cache that I helped put out that is a **/****.5 but I don't think everyone can do those kinds of caches. Just because something is hidden in the city doesn't mean that people can't have fun looking for it. It requires a whole different set of skills than seeking a box in the woods. I had a lot of fun playing James Bond on my many micro hunts and the fact the the area was not scenic was not an issue... The thing is the hunt..

I agree that I will only be able to get most cachers with this one once, but there are always new people coming into caching. I didn't see my first lamp-post until after I had completed 40+ caches! Now I may not want to go hunting those kinds of caches everyday, but to have done a few is interesting. If I look at the map and see where the probable locations for a new micro are and see that it is a parking lot, then I have the choice to skip that one. But I am glad that the person put it out in the first place because I may not have ever been to one of those before....

I will remove my magnet, get a piece of waterproof paper, put together a multi, and use this some other way... Just thought it would be fun to watch people look from my bedroom window...

I don't think I need to say much more than you've already said. A strip of magnet with a few letters on it isn't a cache. If you can hide it "like a cache would be," why not just go ahead and hide an actual cache?

Don't get me wrong--I love a good virtual, and I've even hidden a couple of my own codeword caches in the past. But this site has chosen to focus on finding actual caches, which if I'm not mistaken is the basis for geocaching.

The possibility of lameness or of abuse doesn't necessarily mean it WILL happen. I have 2 keyword caches that I have added logbooks to recently to fit guidlines but both require a hunt and have a view and are micro containers - To me it was just a way to verify they found the container. (both big enough for a few coins) I am certain that someone could abuse the concept but why bash it on that basis??..........

We've had two caches like this in our area.

The first one was on an ulity box on the corner street of a park. It is a very busy intersection, and very exposed. It was a large magnet with two reflective numbers on it, with a paper backing that you had to sign.

This was the first kind of cache that any of us had ever seen, and quite a clever, aha! moment for all us. We loved it, and it gave us something new and different to wrap our minds around. We live in a dryer environement, so we didn't have a problem with wetness.

I can talk about it, because it has been archived recently. We have a newer one that is underneath something, which completely shelters it from rain. Maybe that is a solution to your problem. I can't say more about it, cause it is still active. You can pm me if you want more info.

I say, if you can find a way to do it without it getting wet, go for it! We all loved ours! :rolleyes: