Using Your Gps On Commercial Aircraft

Tsongkapa

This has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find it in the FAQ, so what I want to know is, can one use one's GPS on a commercial airplane to see when you are crossing the equator for example? Is it allowed by the airline authorities? If one is allowed to use it, does the signal from the satellites penetrate the fusilage? I have noticed with some motor cars that the bodywork interferes with reception. In other cars it isn't a problem.

It depends on individual airline company policies. Some allow it, some don't. But it never hurts to ask, the pilot may allow it even if the company policy doesn't. For best result have a window seat and use an external antenna attached to the window. Having a satellite fix before entering the plane also helps the unit get a fix after takeoff.

While boarding a recent flight on Northwest Airlines from Springfield MO to Memphis TN, I asked a flight attendant if I could use my GPS during cruise. She said she couldn't remember but would ask the pilot.

After I had taken my seat, she told me that pilot said, "No, not at any time during the flight". I said, "Okay, thank you."

I believe Northwest is one of the airlines that "officially" approves using GPS during flights, but it is always best to ask, just in case.

Jim

Used my Garmin V on at least 4 trips now with no problems. Airlines were Delta and Continental. The remote antenna was for the most part a must or I would have had to hold the unit up against the window the entire time. Each flight said it was OK but the antenna could not be attached to window but setting it on the pillow jammed between my seat and the window worked great. The last flight I was on the Flight Attendant came by and asked where we were because another passenger wanted to know and I wa closer than the phone to the cockpit.

On a very recent Delta flight from New Orleans to Atlanta I had my 60CS on the lap table near my window. The flight attendant walked by, took a second look and asked what it was. I showed him our location, altitude, and elevation and he thought it was just the coolest thing ever.

Guess he'd never seen one before.

I tried using our eTrex (Old Yeller) on a US Airways flight from Antigua earlier this month. I could not tell if it acquired any satellites because the screen went black. Somehow the contrast setting was mysteriously lowered and I'm sure that it was not me that did it. I was looking at the display and it quickly went dark. When I have adjusted it in the past, the transition was a lot slower.

I don't know it this was a glitch caused by the aircraft intrumentation or what might have caused it. :o

I usually use my GPS receiver on a flight to identify specific features that I can see on the ground; unusual rock formations, river beds, etc. The screens provided by the airlines aren't nearly detailed enough for that - they show you about where you are in the country, but not exactly which mountain peak you're currently flying over.

If you're on a 757, you don't need the GPSr. They have in seat screens and you can pick from several movies and a screen showing altitude, speed, location, etc.

I was under the impression that this capability depended upon which airline you happened to flying on. Are you saying that every single 757 commercial aircraft provides this capability?

Thanks to all of you who responded. :D

I will be travelling from the southern hemisphere to the northern hemisphere soon and I thought it would be great to see on the GPS when exactly one crosses the equator, and see the reading change from S to N.

I apologise that I hadn't looked more closely at the FAQs on this topic - but its always nice to read direct posts :D