Unknown Caches

I recentley visited my first unknown cache, it was great and I really liked it. I was wondering, what kind of caches fall under unknown cache? If someone can let me know I would appreciate it. Has anyone ever been to an unkown cache? And if so, what was it? Mine was a loading dock for 18 -wheeler trucks, it was a magnet it #;s on the front stuck to the dock, it has a piece of paper on the back to log on.

Generally it means the cache is not at the posted coordinates and some puzzle, or other method must be used to obtain the correct coordinates.

GC.COM also refers to it as The “catch-all” of cache types, so many people use the designation for caches that don't fit neatly into the other categories. Your example is one type that some owners will call a puzzle/mystery cache because there is no traditional container.

Edited by briansnat

We have lots of these caches in our area.

Here are a few of the more interesting ones I've seen:

Lost Keys Cache - the cache owner had actually lost his keys while taking pictures in the area, so he hid a cache nearby in the hope that somebody seeking the cache might find his lost keys (I did, and was also FTF).

A Thousand Words - the posted coordinates are of a point 'within 10 miles' of the cache, but the only clues are series of photographs that walk you into the cache. This one didn't even require a GPS.

You Will Need A Bug - you have to find one of several Travel Bugs which have the actually cache coordinates on them.

I've always enjoyed this type of cache, and I appreciate the effort that the owners generally put into their placement.

They are the ultimate cache, well of sorts. I have done only 10 and placed 7 but typically the kell element is AMBIGUITY. You are not given anything straight up front. The Coordinates on the cache page will not lead you straight to the cache and if they lead anywhere then it is the start of a trail that will ask you a number of questions to find the final prize. They are fun to hunt and fun to place.

cheers