1st Multi Questions

Snooch and Meme

Maybe you need to try more specific questions.

In summary, for a multi or offset cache you do not post the location of the cache itself. Instead you post the coordinates of a location where the person goes to get directions to the cache or to another set of directions. One set of directions can lead to another set of directions, which can lead to yet another, and so on, such that the last in this chain gives directions to the cache itself. The various locations are called “stages.” There can be only two stages, or a great many stages (I’ve never seen more than 5, but I’m sure there are multis with more).

These stages with directions to other stages can be containers with coordinates in or on them, or simply locations where you find things written, say on plaques or monuments or buildings that you use to work out the directions to the next stage following instructions in the cache description. In some cases the stages contain part of the location to the cache itself (instead of directions to another stage) and you must combine the information from all the preliminary stages to determine the location of the cache itself.

I notice you have not done any multi caches. If there are any within a reasonable distance from you I strongly suggest you do some before creating one and you will quickly get the idea for how they work.

Edited by Thot

From the site guidelines (which you should read if considering placing a cache).

Some hints for placing a multi.

Place in reverse, planting the final stage, taking a reading and putting those coordinates in the next stage and work backwards to the beginning.

While the final container should be a quality one, you can get away with lesser containers for the other stages because you're only protecting coordinates, not a logbook and cache trinkets. Put the coords in a ziploc and also write something on the back telling any non geocachers what they found, should they discover it accidently (a shortened version of this site's geocaching letter is good).

For ease of maintenance, place the final stage near the beginning, or near a road with easy access. The final cache, with trinkets and logbook, is more likely to require maintenance than the interim stages which only have coordinates. By making a big loop out of the multi you can place the final stage where you can get to it quickly. Use the middle stages to bring searchers to the spots you want them to see.

Edited by briansnat

First, find a good final location and mark it. Then, work backwards -- since each stage has to include the clues to the next stage.

Think about how your stages "fit together" with the terrain and points of interest, so that your cache makes sense. Do you want to lead finders on a round trip loop? A tortuous exercise in crossing a river and ravine back and forth four times? A tour of historic sites? A multi should have a reason for existence, beyond being an exercise in finding lots of containers.

Consider cache maintenance. The more containers you use, the more maintenance is needed. Use virtual clues for some of the stages, where appropriate. Place the final cache container close to parking, where it's easier for you to check on. My favorite multi takes 90 minutes to find from start to finish, but I can park along a road and dash into the woods to check on the final stage in five minutes.

I have a question about multi's and I apologize it has already been answered (Mopar).

If I created a cache that used the multi concept could one stage of that multi deliberately have two possible outcomes leading to two different final caches/logbooks.

I'm not an approver so perhaps one may want to chime in, but my take is that as long as there was one cache page, you can probably get away with this. You probably would want to run it by your local approver before trying though.

One thing I do know is permissible is a multi that takes you over two (or more) different routes depending on the choice you make in the beginning, but both routes eventually lead to one cache cotainer and logbook. In one case I know of, route A is a nice, easy walk over well groomed trails and route B is a difficult bushwack up the side of a mountain.