Underwater Caches?

I have heard about underwater caches, there is one not far from my house located at a dam, it says you must have scuba gear to retrieve it. I want to make an underwater cache but not that extreme, I was thinking more of a submerged cache like under a dock or somehow tied off somewhere. What kind of container would I use and what exactly would I need to do?

well if you put a cache in the Lincoln tunnel that would be an underwater cache that was dry

Reviewers note: do not attempt to place a cache in any tunnel used for transportation of motor vehicles. In other words, don't try this at home :blink:

Edited by CO Admin
I have heard about underwater caches, there is one not far from my house located at a dam, it says you must have scuba gear to retrieve it. I want to make an underwater cache but not that extreme, I was thinking more of a submerged cache like under a dock or somehow tied off somewhere. What kind of container would I use and what exactly would I need to do?

The best part of the game is figuring out how to do something new and different. Then sharing it with the community in the form of a cache. One of the ways you get ideas is by hunting a bunch of caches and seeing whta others have done. Spend a lot of time thinking about how an underwater cache would work. A good start would be to make a list of questions and possiable answers.

Where will you locate it?

How would cachers retrive it?

-teather

-swim

-remote control

How to make a container

-water proof or "wet"

-PVC pipe

-purchased (otter box)

-some kind of diving bell arangment

-container in a container

treasure hunter, there are several containers that will work. I would suggest testing any container you use to see how dry it stays. Just get a container with a good seal, add some weight and you're ready to go.

You might think about some waterproof paper for a log. It's liable to get while someone is logging the cache.

Good luck

I did this cache this summer. It was fully submerged in a very clever way, disguised as a lobster pot. Pardon the spoiler. But anyway, the contents were all things that wouldn't be damaged by being underwater-- plastic toys, etc-- and the container was a tupperware type thing with small holes punched in it. The water would enter, displacing the air, and the container would sink, fully submerged. It was attached via a second cage-like container (a la lobster trap) to a bobber which floated on the surface. Not sure if this is the type of thing you're thinking of, but it's one approach.

G'day treasure_hunter

I was thinking along the same lines as you and the issue came up of water getting into the cache when it was opened (even out of the water). It was then suggested to make a multi-cache (or offset cache) where the underwater part was the first waypoint. That is put make the next waypoint visible from the cache container without the need to actually open the container.

Haven't done this yet, but it is in the pipeline.

Anyway something to consider.

Good luck.

Andrew

I did one that required scuba gear and it was in an ammo can but all the items in it could get wet. The on on the dam is a virtual by the way if it is the one that has been discussed on other threads about underwater caches. Just plan to put stuff in the onctainer that can get wet.

cheers

This cache is in a lake in downtown. Homemade from heavy PVC with a threaded end cap and a large spike to drive into the mud. It has too much interior air space and keeps floating - many logs mention finding it floating (I did). But it is dry, the log is waterproof adventure paper. Simply adding lead would make it work well. Water depth about 18" with a concrete apron, like a fountain where the cache is located. I've also seen a dive light battery canister tied off to a fishing pier - unfortunately that cache got muggled pretty quickly. It's hard to retrieve and replace something like that on a public pier on the weekends. On Florida's east coast there are a number of caches in the coastal esturaries that can be walked/waded to at low tide. Scuba dive light battery containers are a common container (not cheap, but truly designed for underwater, and to open and close easily - gotta keep the seal clean).

I did this cache this summer.

G'day CTKayak

Thanks for sharing that. Looks like a real interesting idea. Just one question, how is the log book kept dry? Ziplocks or something else?

Thanks

Andrew

The logbook, as I recall, was surprisingly dry in a ziplock bag or maybe two, although the edges were damp. It may have been that this was kept in an even smaller, sealed tupperware container, but not so big that it would make the whole thing float. So, you'd have the lobster trap type cage, then the big container with the holes in it that sinks, containing the plastic toys and such, then the tiny container with the logbook. But, I don't actually remember. I would suggest in this case (as others have) investing in a write-in-the-rain kind of logbook, although I've never experienced them and can't vouch for their effectivenss.

The logbook, as I recall, was surprisingly dry in a ziplock bag or maybe two, although the edges were damp. It may have been that this was kept in an even smaller, sealed tupperware container, but not so big that it would make the whole thing float. So, you'd have the lobster trap type cage, then the big container with the holes in it that sinks, containing the plastic toys and such, then the tiny container with the logbook. But, I don't actually remember. I would suggest in this case (as others have) investing in a write-in-the-rain kind of logbook, although I've never experienced them and can't vouch for their effectivenss.

G'day

Thanks for expanding. I like this idea. I will look into the Rite in the Rain product. I do know that BackpackGearTest.org tested some of their product. Will have a look at the test reports.

Thanks

Andrew

G'day

Thanks for expanding. I like this idea. I will look into the Rite in the Rain product. I do know that BackpackGearTest.org tested some of their product. Will have a look at the test reports.

Thanks

Andrew

Better than Rite in the Rain is National Geographic Adventure Paper. R in the R is water resistant, but not waterproof. NGAP is totally waterproof.

R in the R makes notepads out of the stuf, but NGAP doesn't to my knowledge, so you'd have to fashion your own with NGAP.