Help With My New Gps Receiver

jltitus

I need help. I just got a GPS reciever ( Garmin EtrexLengend) and I thought I could download the Geocash way points and complete a geocash that way. I've gotten the waypoint file downloaded to my GPS receiver but I don't know how to get to the way points for the cache I downloaded. I need help because when I go to Main Menu>Find>Waypoints the waypoints aren't there. Help!!!

J :ph34r:

Hmmm... Are you sure that you are actually receiving the waypoints when they are sent to the GPS? Doing a find the way you describe SHOULD show them if the upload were successful.

What method are you using to upload the waypoints? I use EasyGPS software, myself... I can't stay on the forum long to answer more of your question, but I'm sure others will be along to help... Good luck!

Did you see the "transfer complete" message on your GPS?  It sounds to me like they just aren't getting there.  What are u using to transfer them?

Hey jltitus,

Here is how to find it:

1) Let the gps fully boot.

2) Goto the main menu, using the joy stick, and select “Find”.

3) On the next screen, highlight and click on “waypoint”.

4) Select the ”Nearest” or “by Name”.

5) You should get the waypoints displayed on your screen at this time.

Hope this gets you up and running.!

If not, re-post again!

SF1

Will need more information to help you. Otherwise, we are searching for a waypoint that isn't there. :ph34r:

1) How are you "downloading" the points to your Legend (what type of file)?

2) Are you using an interface program such as EasyGPS? If so, please tell us what it is.

Edited by Jeep_Dog

First, go by the suggestion made by strikeforce above. Are you getting a successful transfer message? Keep in mind if you search by name, the GPSr will wait for you to enter an alpha-numeric digit before it will let you scroll through the waypoints. If you just hit the OK without entering a letter or number, all waypoints stored will show.

Next, when you have EasyGPS open and your GPSr connected, select the GPS pull-down menu and select TEST SERIAL CONNECTION.

If the connection works, then who knows where the darn waypoints are going. <_<

If it doesn't work, one of your connections (on the GPSr or serial port) may not be seated properly. If you check these, and all look/feel good, then click the Preferences pull-down menu. Select My GPS Receivers, select Add GPS, under Manufacturers select Garmin, then under Models seclect eTrex Legend. Ensure your com port is configured correctly (varies from computer to computer, but normally COM1 will do the trick).

There's a remote possibility your computer's serial port may not be working if the transfer is still not working. You may want to give it a try on another computer.

Good luck.

Here is something else, I just thought of.

If you use a PDA, shut down your hot sync manager.

This for some reason. captures the serial port, and doesn't allow anything else to use it. Just another thought.

Also, make sure your gpsr and the program are set to Garmin.

If you change your gpsr to NEMA, and program is gramin, it won't work.

SF1

Edited by strikeforce1