Virtual Approval

First off I am not trying to cause a big fuss here . I am just seeking futher knowledge about placing virtual caches as they have all but been impossible for most to get approved. So if you caring considerate cachers and approvers out there would care to have a look at this one and please elaborate to some of us very confused individuals, as to how/why and what makes this special it would be greatly appreciated. :ph34r:

Just a small note we are familiar with this area and there are lots of places for regular caches here , as you may note on the page it even states that there are 2 caches in the area.

Slippery Situation

Being from Tennessee and a warmer climate, have never seen anything like it. That makes it a WOW for me and what guidelines were broken, looks like one log may need to be deleted for not posting a picture ……….. JOE

But what happens to this when its a "summertime" virtual , wheres the WOW going to be then .. plus , I beleive a physical cache can be place near the object of the Cache, thus being against the guidelines ...>?

Don't get me wrong here people , I love virtuals , heck I love hunting all kinds of caches .I am just wondering why some are approved when so very many others are denied .

Star

Being from Tennessee and a warmer climate, have never seen anything like it.  That makes it a WOW for me and what guidelines were broken, looks like one log may need to be deleted for not posting a picture ……….. JOE

But shouldn't the WOW pertain to the area the cache is located in? Yea, ice skating on a frozen pond is WOW in TN, but the cache is in Michigan, where ice skating or a frozen pond is far from WOW. It would be like making a virtual for country music in Nashville, or a stone wall in New England, or a coffee shop in Seattle. (had to get that coffee thing in there!)

Edited by Mopar

I guess an aprover from Hawaii must have stepped in to help with this one. The object is far from remarkable and in fact can be found all over the place during northern winters.

Not only that, it violates the cache permanence guidelines. No wonder people get ticked off at the lack of consistency between admins.

I am the one that approved it... so what! In hind sight looking at it I suspect I must have been on drugs that day :ph34r: but it was supposed to last a little beyond the required 3 month minimum and I thought it was something different (ie: more impressive) than what it actually turned out to be but did not ask enough questions.. my bad. I see nothing positive for even starting this thread and even less for comments by some people that ought to know better. But if you want me to say sorry then fine... you got it. Feel better now?

There have been 7 other virts posted in Michigan over the last 6 months (9/1/2004 to present), would someone like to also post those links so their merits can be debated. (that was rhetorical and this will be my only response :D ) Personally I hate all virtuals and think they should all be banned. ;)

I usually leave the approvers alone, it's sort of like umpiring a little league game (which I have done), it's a thankless job and you never get it "right." I agree with my TN buddy, JoGPS, never see anything like that around here, but I have to admit, this one seems to have slipped through a crack, even the first log seems to indicate it's not that great without the ice, and can't really be all that unique even with the ice.

I am the one that approved it... so what! In hind sight looking at it I suspect I must have been on drugs that day :ph34r: but it was supposed to last a little beyond the required 3 month minimum and I thought it was something different (ie: more impressive) than what it actually turned out to be but did not ask enough questions.. my bad. I see nothing positive for even starting this thread and even less for comments by some people that ought to know better. But if you want me to say sorry then fine... you got it. Feel better now?

There have been 7 other virts posted in Michigan over the last 6 months (9/1/2004 to present), would someone like to also post those links so their merits can be debated. (that was rhetorical and this will be my only response :D ) Personally I hate all virtuals and think they should all be banned. ;)

That is possibly the most refreshingly honest post from a volunteer reviewer that the forums have ever seen. Much better than those long-winded technical explanations from Keystone Approver.

Volunteers make judgments each and every day on this type of issue and many others. Without seeing the cache site, they need to assess things like wow factor, whether the cache is sufficiently separated from the railroad tracks, whether the cache is on a private grave site, etc. Some caches that get listed, maybe they shouldn't have been. Some caches that get archived, maybe they should have been listed -- those tend to get examined more closely!

I agree with Lep. I can only speak for the couple volunteer reviewers I know, but they are committed to doing the right thing. Sometimes, mistakes are made and caches are approved that maybe shouldn't have bene listed. At 3:30 AM, when they're on their 100th cache in the queue, I imagine it's a little easier to slip up and hit the "approve" button.

Personally, I think the target of this virtual is pretty cool (but then we don't get much of that sort of thing in sunny Southern California)...but definitely not virtual-worthy. Oh well. It got listed. It's only got another month or so to live. The world moves on.

I am the one that approved it... so what! In hind sight looking at it I suspect I must have been on drugs that day ;) but it was supposed to last a little beyond the required 3 month minimum and I thought it was something different (ie: more impressive) than what it actually turned out to be but did not ask enough questions.. my bad. I see nothing positive for even starting this thread and even less for comments by some people that ought to know better. But if you want me to say sorry then fine... you got it. Feel better now?

There have been 7 other virts posted in Michigan over the last 6 months (9/1/2004 to present), would someone like to also post those links so their merits can be debated. (that was rhetorical and this will be my only response :ph34r: ) Personally I hate all virtuals and think they should all be banned. :D

Asked and answered. anything else is just beating the dead horse.