Free 24k Map Downloads

Sputnik 57

Poindexter has pointed out some pretty cool links to free USGS 24K map downloads. They seem to be available on a state by state basis.

Download your free USGS quads for Tennessee here. To find the names of the quads you need go here and zoom in on your area until your in far enough to see the quad names. 

you can get USGS digital maps free for most states. Even Oklahoma.

I know that Idaho is out there somewhere, but I can't seem to find the link just now.

Does anyone else have a link to free downloads (not just screen shots) for 24K USGS maps?

That is correct, these are raster maps. They will load into mapping software, but not into GPS units. I use them on my PPC.

I usually do a search for:

"digital maps drg (state)"

and find what I need. You have to sort through the commercial sites, but you can find them for "most" states. The sites are usually college / university sites.

These are nice for a small area, but not so good for a large area. There are anywhere from a few hundred drgs (for a smaller state) to well over two thousand for the larger states. If you want a large area at once, might be better to buy a set of premerged maps. Otherwise, you can just build a collection as you go.

A lot of times you can find free DOQQs as well.

Edited by Greymane

Good idea Sputnik. I already have a partial list and various links saved. I'll have to try to get them together in some kind of order.

Here is Idaho. The nice thing about these files is that they are georeferenced and can be imported and automatically calibrated into Oziexplorer and I believe Memory-Map as well (Greymane?). They are high resolution scans of the original maps and not lower resolution "tiles" that are used on Terraserver (thats where USAPhotoMaps images come from). I'm not knocking the program, It's a fantastic app and just one of many ways of using GIS.

I've had this site bookmarked for a year or so.

Parsa

Same here but several of those links are dead or do not ultimately provide downloadable data for free but a good resource nonetheless. When I was up to 47 states I came across this excellent resource. A few years ago you could download free DRG's from Geocomm but now there's a fee, but it comes to aroune 50 cents per map. You can still get DEM's for free from there which is nice for elevation data.

Edited by Poindexter