Ncce In Seattle

GEM's

The NCCE Conference (Northwest Council for Computer Education) is being held in Seattle (March 16 - 19), @ the Washington State Convention Center this year. It is the premier educational technology conference in the Northwest and annually hosts 3,500 educators from Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Canada and beyond.

This year they have asked me (Yesterday) to coordinate a geocaching activity that has yet to be created and has been described to fit the baseball theme like this:

Peanuts, Popcorn, and Geocaching

Now is your chance to win your very own GPS device. Participate in the NCCE World Series by locating and collecting four of seven baseball cards hidden throughout downtown Seattle. Once you’ve collected four or more cards, stop by the Dugout to register for the drawing.

Here's What I Know:

This will be FUN

This will introduce 1,000's to our hobby

I can get 90 - 100 GPS units through our State ESD's

Reception near the Convention Center is tricky at best

Hiding tupperware in this area will be a challenge

I'll need help from my Geocaching Friends

The activity will only be open to conference participants

(It's not too late to sign up)

I'm sending 70 educators from my district :D

Here's Why I Post:

Would you be interesting in volunteering at a "Geocaching Table" through out the conference (March 16 - 19), everyone takes a shift, to hand out GPS units and give teachers a quick overview on how to use them and get them started on their adventure?

Would you have any connections to Garmin that they may see a benefit in supporting this type of activity?

Would Groundspeak be interested in being involved?

What ideas would you have for me that might make this a fun and doable event?

This sound like it's right down Seth!'s alley :D

Thanks

GEM's

My office is right there, I should be able to cover an hour or so each day - sounds like fun!

Some concern about the actual caches, though. I expect they will all need to be within walking distance of the Convention Center - right?

You may need to get some local shopkeepers involved.

Frecky's would be ideal for one cache that's already established.

You could also work in This one - if their picture show up, they earn a card. Something like that.

You might also make use of a virtual -- if they bring back the correct answer, they earn another card.

My office is right there, I should be able to cover an hour or so each day - sounds like fun!

Some concern about the actual caches, though. I expect they will all need to be within walking distance of the Convention Center - right?

You may need to get some local shopkeepers involved.

Frecky's would be ideal for one cache that's already established.

You could also work in This one - if their picture show up, they earn a card. Something like that.

You might also make use of a virtual -- if they bring back the correct answer, they earn another card.

Frecky belongs to a co-worker of mine. I can ask if the plan is to use existing caches. I think they may have something else in mind though,

I can help but will have to work it between getting home to pick up Lost One from the bus.  (That is unless I get a job between now and then)

I'll can help by either watching Little Lost One or by actually helping myself. I can be available Th or Friday for 4 hours between 9-3.

Here's my 2 cents. You really don't want to have that many people doing the obvious GPS dance in broad daylight in downtown Seattle, and then routing through the Ivy without any notion of being disceet. Two suggestions:

1) Do the multicache approach and have them find clues that they can turn in for the cards; or better yet

2) maybe have them get rubbings from a plaque or tiles (I know that sounds a lot like letterboxing) with baseball tie-ins. (Like the word Home, Base, Slide etc.)

Either way you could have some typical caches containers in the display or photos of caches insitu for reference.

It just seems like you wouldn't want a bunch of first time cachers exposing existing caches in very public places.

geoducky

Edited by geoducky

Anne & I scoped out the area yesterday...It's gonna be a blast!

Here's the first draft of a plan (Before I had a chance to read the latest posted great ideas)

1) No existing caches will be used or compromised during the conference. However, we may use the local web cams, but not the caches. High Five and Freeway are the closest caches and are both in good shape.

2) We will place 8 Tupperware size caches in Freeway park (Closed @ Dusk) and other safe park like areas on Pine. Each cache will contain NCCE Collector "All Stars" Cards.

3) Participants will receive a map, GPSr, & Cache list with hints (teams may be formed).

4) Volunteer Geocachers "Coaches" will man the "Dug Out" where instructions, GPSr "Spring" training, handouts and GPSr are given with instructions to be discreet.

5) We'll set up and start on Wednesday @ 8 am

6) Coaches will man the booth on this Possible Schedule:

Wed 3/16 8 - 5 GO West, willcall, WeightMan, Team Misguided

Thu 3/17 8 - 5 geoducky(9-3), GO West, WeightMan, Team Misguided

Fri 3/18 8 -3 geoducky(9-3), GO West, MarcusArelius, Team Misguided

7) Prize Drawing @ Final Keynote Friday @ 4:00 (must be present)

8) Each team will visit as many caches as possible during their stay in Seattle.

2 Caches = Single

4 Caches = Double

6 Caches = Triple

8 Caches = Home Run

The more you find the more chances you have to win.

9) Individual players on teams that find all 8 caches will have one entry into a special drawing for our best prize (hopefully a donated GPSr).

10) All teams that "hit a Single" find at least 2 caches will be entered into a team drawing to win T- Shirts for their whole team.

11) Coaches will check on and replenish caches throughout each day.

12) Anne is going to make the "All Star" cards to be place in the caches.

13) Glenn is going to purchase 12 tupperware containers (extras for muggled caches).

14) Glenn will find 8 locations to acquire coordinates; caches will be placed by Coaches on Wednesday AM.

15) Glenn will make a map/Satellite photo of the area with caches shown. (jdmcox.com ?)

16) Glenn will make a cache list handout with hints.

17) Glenn will contact Garmin & Groundspeak to determine their interest in this opportunity.

18) Coaches will have access to a computer to download coordinates to the loaner GPSr when possible.

19) 1 Loaner GPSr will be given per team by the "Coaches" in exchange for a Driver's License as collateral.

20) Anne will secure access to 100 GPSr.

21) Coaches, Pitchers and Catchers will report to training early to go over all of the above and to divide and refine the tasks above....Look for more info on this meeting soon.

What did I forget?

What is the fee for parking at the convention center, or shall I plan on taking the bus into town?

I think it's $9 or $10 per day at the Convention Center, and also at Freeway Park parking right next door. Some of the cheapest parking in town - the tough thing is the way these garages get filled up for big events.

I see that the Convention Center is now WiFi enabled (did I say that right?), for $10 per day.

Tomorrow is NOT mandatory for participating in our conference event.

If you can't make it tomorrow, we'll still need your help at the event.

Watch this thread for updates.

I'll be there (@ Freeway Park) with the tupperware containers @ 10:30.

I haven't heard from Groundspeak...making the assumption that they must not be interested in this type of publicity, but am still hopeful for a response.

WeightMan GO West and I met at the Freepark Cache today and accomplished the following:

I) GO & WM now have 4 tupperware containers each that they will be adding camo, Geocaching sheet & stickers, and NCCE label.

II) We collected the following data...

1. 47 36.624 122 19.761

Ninth & University, Between Bench & Rhody, Under Leaves, Top of Steps

2. 47 36.600 122 19.811

Between Chainlink Fence & Cement Planter, Across from Rest Rooms

3. 47 36.667 122 19.832

Under George Washinton, George OffSet Cache, George will be directly between you and Two Union, 13 paces back to the middle of Sidewalk, 9 paces NE to the wall, Under Leaves and Ivy.

4. 47 36.580 122 19.887

Base of 10 foot wall, Top of steps leading to Park Place, Hidden in Ivy.

5. 47 36.773 122 19.806

Hubbell, Terry & Pike corner, Green arrows pointing away from it to Freeway Park & Convention Place, Access from Sidewalk, Sailing Ship Mast near, Bottom of steps on the path to Convention Center from Pike.

6. 47 36.693 122 19.834

Under light post, Pathway to Pike Street.

7. 47 36.657 122 19.859

Fast Lane Nook, Alcove/Nook over I-5 North Fast Lane, Under Westernmost 9 Lights

8. 47 36.593 122 19.961

Two Union Square, NW Corner of Upper level Terrace, Under Granite Lip.

III) GO West was willing to be creative with the above info and create a one page handout with coords and clues.

IV) Does anyone want to help make a cool map with this info?

V) Does anyone know how to generate a GPX file (or other) that could be downloaded or shared with conference participants?

VI) Other ideas?

GEMs,

My first thought regarding the sky photo you posted is:

I'm not sure that it helps all that much. It's not like you can tell which building is which. In addition having attempted to cache downtown before (trails.com) I'm sure just about *any* help you give these folks would be *very* useful.

You didn't say how "bad" the reads were that you took. Did you double check,

or use more than one type of GPSr?

Maybe you already covered this, and I just missed it. Sorry if that's the case.

-NBJPoppa

Well, the multi-pathing is the problem I ran into searching for Trails.com. I had some *very* good readings (estimated accuracy, that is) at several locations which were "close" to the cache, but which were all quite far apart. The point is that a novice geocacher might well expect the GPSr to have "the truth" when it very well might not. The "map" of the caches might well be a good "hint" for these folks -- though perhaps you might not want to "give away" the data immediately.

Just my 1/2 cent.

GEMs,

My first thought regarding the sky photo you posted is:

I'm not sure that it helps all that much. It's not like you can tell which building is which. In addition having attempted to cache downtown before (trails.com) I'm sure just about *any* help you give these folks would be *very* useful.

You didn't say how "bad" the reads were that you took. Did you double check,

or use more than one type of GPSr?

Maybe you already covered this, and I just missed it. Sorry if that's the case.

-NBJPoppa

Knowing which building is which isn't all that important so long as you know what your reference point is. Looking at the sky pic, I see some street configurations that I could easily identify with.

The plan is to have a large blow up of the photo posted by the table with the info as well as an 8.5x11 handout of the photo. None of the hides will be very difficult. The spots we picked have very few possible hidy holes so as long as they get close they should have a good chance with the photo and GPSr alone. The rest of the info could easily be encrypted or in a sealed envelope so that it only gets used if needed.

I met with Anne Allen from NCCE today and we're making the final preparations.

We are closer to securing the new Garmin 60 for the raffle.

Anne would like the electronic copy of the documents that Go West has put together. I gave her the hard copies of the Map, one page coordinates and a sample of the individual cache page that Go West is working on.

Anne is working on the baseball cards for the caches. She will also take care of printing the handouts. Anne is also checking on a liability form.

Go West was also working on a checkout system for the loaner GPSrs. This would include a form to sign taht would say something like.

In the event the GPSr is lost, stolen, or damaged while in my care; I will replace it.

We may want to consider keeping a Visa card instead of a Drivers License.

weightman and Go West are working on building the cache containers for the event.

Playtime Inc is considering participation.

We'll be meeting at the convention center @ 8 am on Wednesday Morning 3/16..to lay out hte course and load the cordinates into the GPSr's.

We still need more volunteers and more GPSrs. And we're still looking for donations. All volunteers will have FREE access to an impressive collection of Technology vendors & get a FREE Geocaching Tattoo

JOIN THE FUN!

We may want to consider keeping a Visa card instead of a Drivers License.

I'm not sure how well that would go over. I wouldn't hand over my credit card to hold onto for the duration of a day. That's implied permission to use it at an incredible level of risk.

Handing a Driver's license over is pretty difficult these days too with ID theft running rampant. I deal with customers at a kiosk and they tend to be reluctant to give this info when needed much less hand it over.

Get 'em where it counts. The checkbook is always good for a nominal deposit they get back when the unit is returned. No harm no foul.

Maybe we can take care of the issue just by having this signed form that both releases NCCE from liability and holds the person responsible for the loss of the Garmin:

Intending to be legally bound hereby, the undersigned agrees and does hereby release from all liability and to indemnify and hold harmless Northwest Council for Computer Education (NCCE) and any of its directors, employees, or agents representing or related to NCCE as regards to the Geocoaching Event (the Event) occurring during the 2005 NCCE Conference (March 16-19, 2005) in Seattle, Washington.

This release is for any and all liability for personal injuries (including death) and property losses or damage occasioned by or in connection with any activity related to the Event.

The undersigned agrees to reimburse NCCE promptly for any damage to or loss of equipment loaned to the undersigned by NCCE for participation in the Event ($500 limit) and to return all equipment to NCCE as stipulated in the rules of the Event.

The undersigned further agrees to abide by all rules and regulations promulgated by NCCE and/or its agents as regards to the Event.

Wed 3/16 8 - 5 GO West, willcall, WeightMan, Team Misguided

Thu 3/17 8 - 5 geoducky(9-3), GO West, WeightMan, Team Misguided

Fri 3/18 8 -3 geoducky(9-3), GO West, MarcusArelius, Team Misguided

Does this look accurate...can we add your name?

You will get a geocaching prize for you help!