United Kingdom Area Codes ?

keiko

In August of this year my wife and I will be visiting, (our first time over seas) in the Elham, Kent area (Southeast of London). We are retired and enjoy Geocaching around our home in Northern California, USA and are looking forward to a few cache finds in the UK. I have maps of the area but am not able to find area Zip codes in order to search for other caches in other towns. Is there a web site that a person can go to that will display Zip codes for a town ?? Any help will be appreciated, and happy Caching to all !!

Thank you

Jack & BJ (Keiko)

Edited by keiko

The site that Klaus recommends sems good, it gives you the initial area code for each town, so Elham is CT4.

All our postcodes (Zipcodes) have a second 3 digit part that is 1 number and 2 letters.

Choose your town code from Klaus site, then add 1BA or 1AB. These two codes nearly always exist - so then do a zipcodes search on GC.com for CT4 1BA and you have a search around Elham.

Another useful resource for UK caching is geocacheuk.com as it will accept most town names as the search point.

Good luck

Go to uk Streetmap (www.streetmap.co.uk) link. You can search for any town, village or street. When you have done so, there is a link ( a small and discreet link) below the map that you get from you initial search which shows you conversions to British OS grid reference, Lat and Long and also nearest UK Postcode.

I use this all the time. For example, if I was going to Edinburgh, I may do a search for Prince's Street. There are LOTS of these in the UK, but you only get two hits for Edinburgh. Select one of these and get your map. Click on the link and I find the postcode "EH2 2DJ"

For some reason, their WGS84 is only given to two final places (seconds?) and not three, which is why I prefer to use postcode. You are only searching for nearby, not for exactly on that spot anyhow, so postcode will be good enough.

You can always do a postcode search at www.multimap.com which will get you close and has always seemed accurate to me. I know (as Klaus pointed out) that geocache.com does a post code search but for some reason it places me about 2.5 miles west of my real post code position.

Regards