Winter Cacheing

marxthespot

<_< I am new to this thing, and have tried to show the greatest respect to all cachers, but I also do allot of my searching in the winter. I have only found two caches, but both of them have been in winter, and it is difficult or impossible to cover my footprints. I don't wan't to ruin anything for anyone else, but I love hiking by myself. I have tried to leave mis-leading tracks, but I would like to know if I am breaking some kind of protocal or ruining things for others.

Thank You,

Marxthespot

Edited by marxthespot
I have tried to leave mis-leading tracks

That is all what you should do. The GPS unit leads the hiders anyway quite close to the cache, so if you just take the time to walk around and leave 'fake' footprints around the close proximity to the cache, you won't reveal the location right away.

Thanks Divine,

You made me feel allot better. I hiked 5 miles today to find a cache, and here in Jersey, it was through allot of snow. It would have taken an elite contingent of Army Rangers to have hidden their footprints in the snow considering it's consitstentsy, but as I said, I left allot of red-herring prints. I like to hike alone, and I do it in bad weather conditions. I appreciate your encourging words.

Marxthespot (Mark's the Spot)

I quite often leave misleading tracks. Sometime on purpose, and some times because it took us 20 minutes of looking around to find the cache.

That's usually the way it works for me. I wander around for a half hour checking the base of every tree and every suspicious lump in the snow in the area. If I find the cache I go back to some of the other spots and tramp around to make it look like I spend some time there.

BTW, I see you're in NJ. Come on up to the Highlands region if you like to hike. There are many great caches here involving nice hikes. The Ramapos are a great spot, as is Waywayanda SP and many of the WMA's in the northern part of the state.

Edited by briansnat