Tbs As Swaps

Pengy&Tigger

I know some people treat TBs as swaps, and some don't. This is probably fine as long as you stick with one or the other. What does everyone think of the following type of activity:

'Picked up TB, left nothing in exchange'

then

'Left TB, took something in exchange'

Surely over time, this depletes the contents of caches??

T

I know some people treat TBs as swaps, and some don't. This is probably fine as long as you stick with one or the other. What does everyone think of the following type of activity:

'Picked up TB, left nothing in exchange'

then

'Left TB, took something in exchange'

Surely over time, this depletes the contents of caches??

T

Yep that has happened to our caches quite a few times and to some more than once :D thus depleting the contents available for other cache visitors.

TBs are meant to be travellers and NOT traded for other items in the cache.

TBs are meant to be travellers and NOT traded for other items in the cache.

That is just right - TBs and swaps of other items into and out of caches are separate issues.

I rarely swap goods but usually try to balance the number of TBs I take with those I leave if there is more than one in the cache. But I am happy to take a TB when I have not got one to leave and vice versa . The object is to keep them moving - but it is useful also for notes to be left with TBs to show if they have a particular target. It is not very cheering to get home and then find that the TB you have just brought from 100 miles away wants to go in the opposite direction (that is for those of us who do not go online in the field)!

If people either always trade or never trade it wouldn't be so much of a problem. It'swhen they trade when they drop it but not when they pick up that's the problem. Lets say that over a few days someone finds a series of caches:

cache 1 - took TB left nothing

cache 2 - left TB, took something in exchange.

cache 3 - took TB left nothing

cache 4 - left TB, took something in exchange

Over the 4 caches, the TB situation is no different, but the series is 2 items lighter.

T

If a cache starts with 5 trade items and 5 cachers in a row drop TBs and take a trade item , then the next 5 cachers move on the TBs we would be left with a cache containing nothing except a logbook and pen/pencil.

This is why I believe TBs should never be traded for other items.

By all means trade an item for one you own but not for a TB which is still the propery of the person who registered the TB and gave it its goals.

I treat TBs as travellers only, that is to say I pick them up and move them on. I don't for a minute regard them as items I can use to trade for cache goodies - on the contrary - if I pick up a TB from a cache I usually like to leave an item or two as well just to keep the quality up.

I always treat TBs as separate from any cache contents swapping that I may do, either dropping off or picking up. I think if you take X and leave TB, that can account for the fact that caches become depleted over time. I am sure that most people go caching in good faith, and don't just nick stuff, but by this means, as P&T say, things can be removed from a cache and never replaced.

Interesting. I've been pondering this as my TB hotel has become somewhat depleted this week. I don't see why TB's can't be traded as normal items. And in a TB hotel I would swap TB for TB unless I could genuinely move the TB towards its goal. I wouldn't take a TB and leave nothing, although I can't say I get too worked up when this happens in my cashes.

OOpps,

Having read this forum, I guess I have just realised the error of my ways. I am fairly new to this even though my profile says otherwise. I have today swapped 2 TB's for cache contents. After reading the forum I learn that this isn't generally best practice. Wont happen again but the TB's have been furthered on milage :rolleyes:.

Happy hunting.

MobileMerlin

I always treat TBs as separate from any cache contents swapping that I may do, either dropping off or picking up. I think if you take X and leave TB, that can account for the fact that caches become depleted over time. I am sure that most people go caching in good faith, and don't just nick stuff, but by this means, as P&T say, things can be removed from a cache and never replaced.

Or, for geeks: TBs exist in a different namespace from other items :rolleyes:

OOpps,

Having read this forum, I guess I have just realised the error of my ways. I am fairly new to this even though my profile says otherwise. I have today swapped 2 TB's for cache contents. After reading the forum I learn that this isn't generally best practice. Wont happen again but the TB's have been furthered on milage ;).

Happy hunting.

MobileMerlin

:rolleyes: We forgive you <_<