Locationless Caches

Team Silver

does anyone have a clue when the moratoreum on locationless caches was going to be lifted? it has been 2 years now and no one has said a word? does anyone want them to come back? it seems like they are taking away virtuals too...is caching just going to be a bunch of boxes laying around everywhere? does anyone have vision at Groundspeak? is there a direction that we are going to go with caching?

Actually Jeremy said in the last couple months (no idea what topic but search enough you'll find it) that the funactionality for them should be done THIS year.

Every year I've ever been in has been "This year".

I think he will meet his deadline.

:D

You'll notice I didn't say what year.

I recognize your subtleties most of the time. No doubt that was a carefully planned statement 2 years ago. :rolleyes:

I'm sure it wasn't a "priority" otherwise it would be done. Lots of other great things that have happened over the last 2 years on the site that I'd take any day over new listings for virts/locationless. I'm curious to see what you all come up with. Not found many locationless or virtuals but curious nonetheless.

:grin:

I think that after reading the other posts on this would be just to get more reviewers. have special reviewers for locationless caches. how hard could it be. though i do agree that anyone can make one, like micros, but other people still enjoy trying to find them. can we get a definite answer on this matter? or will it still be "this year" sometime?

I think that after reading the other posts on this would be just to get more reviewers. have special reviewers for locationless caches. how hard could it be. though i do agree that anyone can make one, like micros, but other people still enjoy trying to find them. can we get a definite answer on this matter? or will it still be "this year" sometime?

How did you come to that conclusion?

The biggest problem is the current website was not really addressed to handle locationless caches, and does a rather poor job at it. Without lots of manual checking or 3-rd party software, there is no easy way to check to see if your potential LC log has already been found. Some LC's have 1000+ logs to search through. That's another thing. The current database really wasn't designed for that many logs. Physical caches rarely even make it to 100 logs, yet many LC's are over 1000. Every time someone orders up a PQ that includes LCs all those logs have to be searched.

How does adding more reviewers fix those fairly major problems?

The easiest way I've found to check if my locationless find is already logged is to view all the logs, then click Edit, then click Find (on This Page). I enter 38 because where I'm located, the north degrees is 38. I quickly go through the logs checking for any similiar coordinates when a N 38° is highlighted. Even the ones with more than 1000 logs can usually be checked in a couple of minutes. I know that's not quick in the 21st Century, but it works for me.

Something to think about

I enjoy locationless caches.

I actually enjoy having a static database, fourteen pages gives you many you can find wthout having to sort through to many pages.

On Terracaching where they allow new virtual caches they have about 6-12 placed EVERY DAY

It's hard to keep up on it. Makes it kinda depressing too.

My 2 cents:

I also like locationless caches and I am looking forward to their return. I've got one in the wings waiting...

We need to keep virts around. With the NPS saying no to caching, you can bet more land managers are going to say no also. (It's the easiest thing to do.) Virts might be all that's left in some areas. The BLM, which manages 261 Million acres of US land said in this March "Even though geocaching appears to be an acceptable activity on BLM managed land, it is an activity that would only be welcome in appropriate locations." Note the conditional language.

From the main TerraCaching page:

Averaging 1 new Traditional Cache every 7.3 hours

Averaging 1 new Locationless Cache every 9.6 hours

It doesn't give the breakdown of virtual caches, which are a subset of Traditional, but those frequencies are more like 3-4 per day :(

Okay, I was wrong

The point is it is still hard to keep up.

But I do think we should have a nude cacher locationless here. I have the pictures, just too shy to post them online :D

Joe Smith

I am quite bummed that there is a moritorium on locationless caches. I have figured out one that I am seriously wanting to put up, and tried today, but just found out that I can't.

Drag. :ph34r:

the key is patience... Jeremy has said they'll be back in april or may of this year. :huh:

edit: here's the post (linky) but re-reading it, I'm not so sure now! could have just been "naming a year" like the person he was quoting asked for... doesn't necessarily mean the year for The Return of the Locationless (TROTL) :(

Edited by robert