Urban Hideouts

I am thinking of putting out a series of regular sized caches in a downtown setting, just to see how big you can go withut compromising the hide. My only idea so far is a sewer pipe cache that has the geocaching logo on it, sunk into the grass curb in a parking lot. I realise that this would require begging the land owner for permission and I would probably have to go through many parking lots before getting permission. Since this would be slightly destructive :rolleyes: and not winter friendly, I am going to ask you for ideas.

So, uh, any ideas?

If you're not expecting it to last years and years you don't really need fancy hiding techniques. Dense, low-lying bushes will hide a decent sized cache. You just have to look around. We've come across plenty of the regular sized caches where it seems folks today would claim "there's no place to hide a cache."

We've found then in all sorts of parks, along sidewalks in town, even on a busy college campus along a narrow alleyway not two feet from where folks step and in full view of a nearby bench.

So, find a decent location to take someone to and then just sit and look. The places will start to come to you.

BTW, I commend you for taking the extra effort in placing a better cache.

I placed what I consider to be an urban ammo can.

Like CR said.. rather than "hide" the cache, just make it fit in.

There used to be an ammo can in downtown Memphis. It lasted quite a while before coming up missing. It was hidden in the bushes beside a walking path. Surely the maintenance guys found it.

There are lots of places to place full-sized containers, you just have to be creative.

Jamie

get a small tree or flower pot, couple gallons maybe? Then cut out the bottom and rig up some sort of false bottom further up (you still have enough room to plant something in the pot). Then set it over the real cache?

I made something like this, but the problem with such a thing in Western New York is that it would freeze to the ground during the winter! I still haven't figured out a way to prevent this, so it sits in my garage for now.

BTW, I commend you for taking the extra effort in placing a better cache.

Thanks, it's not that I have any problems with local caches, they're mostly regular caches anyways, it's just that I want to see if I can put out a series of regular sized urban caches. Plus I can use these examples in the forums when someone complains that all the good hiding spots are taken and someone should archive all the micros

get a small tree or flower pot, couple gallons maybe? Then cut out the bottom and rig up some sort of false bottom further up (you still have enough room to plant something in the pot). Then set it over the real cache?

I made something like this, but the problem with such a thing in Western New York is that it would freeze to the ground during the winter! I still haven't figured out a way to prevent this, so it sits in my garage for now.

I was thinking last night. With the new cache attributes would it be reasonable to just mark the cache as not being winter accessible?