Garmin External/additional Antenna?

I'm getting a Garmin 60CS for geocaching and driving. I found that the 60CS can take an external antenna. Garmin sells their version for $70+ I think. Ebay has one for less than $20?

Can I use the less expensive $20 antenna from Ebay?

Is there a differance between the two?

Does it really help when in the car?

Thanks!

According to the manual, you would need an antenna with an MCX connector. I have bought two patch antennas off ebay with MCX's for Motorola Oncore GPS boards, so I know they are available. The MCX is a friction type connector. Its small, about 2mm in width and has a tiny center pin. I have bought both straight and right-angle plugs in the MCX flavor. Judging by the picture, the way the jack in somewhat recessed in the case, I would suggest the straight plug. You can also get MCX to BNC adapters.

Just be sure to check that on the ebay ad before you buy. Good luck.

Edited by KE4NYV

1) Yes, at least if it's the Gilsson model. Most makes of ext. antenna work well, but make sure it has the MCX rather than a BNC connector.

2) $50.

3) Usually the internal antenna will be sufficient, but if you're in a situation where much of the sky is blocked by tall buildings, canyon walls, etc. then the better skyview of the external may let it pick up an extra satellite or two that allows you to retain a position lock.

Use your GPS for a few weeks without and external antenna, My guess from experience if that external antennas are a waste of money. I sold GPS gear for many years and I would tell my customers to try there GPS for a few weeks to make sure they needed an external antenna, We sold maybe 2 antennas a year which would account for maybe .5% off our GPS sales per year.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Thanks guys...

Reason I ask is because the area I live in(lots of hills), I get spotty celluar and pager signals. I'm thinking I may get spotty signals for the GPS also and thought that maybe an externall antenna may help it a little bit....

Edited by joel1316

I took my Garmin gpsmap 60cs on its first caching trip this week... and though I love the unit... the reception gets lost pretty easy in cover. Once I fired up my Sport Trac Map Pro and it was able to get a loc and possition where the gpsmap 60cs would not. I started carrying it around as a backup... but I am not too thrilled since the 60cs was quite a bit more expensive. I'm considering an external antenna myself... especially since I am typically in heavily forested areas (Oregon)

Cell phones need line-of-sight from cell towers. GPSrs need line of sight from satellites. Hills should be no problem. Canyons and tree cover can be. I have a Gilsson external, $20. I use it in tree cover and it seems to help, but it may just be my imagination.

I have a metal strap wrapped on the shoulder of my pack that I stick the Gilsson on (attaches by magnet). Then I can clip the GPSr to my belt and never lose signal. YMMV.

Side by side an external antenna may not be much better than the handheld's internal but the external allows you to place or hold your handheld anywhere you want. My external is velcro'd to the top of my backpack when hiking allowing me to place my 76C where I wish: - inside my jacket on a rainy or cold day, in my pocket, hanging upside-down from my belt loop, you get the picture.

In the car my GPSr is mounted just above my gear-shift lever in front of the dashboard (sadly a bifocal user :blink: ) with the external on the dash tucked up to the windshield base. If I need a strong WAAS lock then it goes out on the roof held magnetically.

A Gillson antenna from GPS Geek is all you need. It works great.

Cheers, Olar

I have the 90' one, and I bite my nails, so I find it a bit difficult to grab, I wish I had gotten the 180' one.

I suppose the consideration boils down to how much clearance you have/need behind the GPS.

I only use the external ariel when in my car, so the additional length created by the 180' won't matter to me. BUT if you were using it in a mobile/handheld environment the I reckon it might cause problems.

Regards

CM

I also have the 90 degree. It makes the wire lay flat when in my belt clip or car mount. My connection is tight too. I sometimes need my Leatherman to unplug it. I got the 9' cord. Long enough to attached to my car exterior, short enough to coil up in my pack when I hike.

Edited by Sputnik 57

I use my 60cs to navigate in my car and found that the windshield mount is excelent. It is a sucksion cup. It is designed so that you can angle the GPS towards the driver or anywhere else (like the passenger). The placement on the windshield provides good reception. You can transport the windshield mount from car to car. I too would try the unit first and then order the external antenna later if you feel you need it.

I too purchased the 90 degree, and I prefer it to a 180, getting it in and out of holders is easier, plus all the reasons already mentioned.

I thought the post way above from the salesman who had .5% of sales in this arena. I use the same Gillson everyone else does, with the windshield suction cup thingie, and the difference in reception is amazing! I sold one the first time I showed it to somebody. (ok, well, I directed that person to the appropriate web site) I like it because I can hold the 60C in one hand and scroll pages without any risk of losing even a single bird. I also bought the 9 ft cable.

I bought my Ex. ants (2) for the 60cs from PC-MOBILE.COM $25 ea. and got them in three days (+$5) shipping. It's about 1/2 the size of the garmin ant. and has better gain. It has a magnetic base great for in the car, the second one is on my cach'n cap. I'm real happy with the ant. and the service I got. Hope this helps :ninja:

Edited by chuck401