Geocaching Statistics

Monday (4/4/05) I'm giving a speech on Geocaching for my public speaking course and I'm doing it on....

Geocaching!

What a surprise. :-) Anyway, I was hoping to find some statistics on how many caches, how many countries, how many registered (or preferably active) members. Stuff like that. My teacher would like information on number of women doing this, but I doubt that information is that finely aggregated.

Any ideas? (yeah, I know, waiting 'till the last minute....)

Start here on the About Geocaching page, and click through the links. There, you'll learn that

As of today, there are 153369 active caches in 214 countries.

In the last 7 days, there have been 121242 new logs written by 21797 account holders.

That is a record for volume of logs and cachers in one week, by the way.

When I give presentations, I like saying "Did you know that there are 2,137 of these containers within 100 miles of where you're sitting right now? And that the nearest one is just .2 miles from here, where you pass by every day?" Everyone always says "whoa." So do a search based on the coordinates of your school.

Start here on the About Geocaching page, and click through the links. There, you'll learn that

In the last 7 days, there have been 121242 new logs written by 21797 account holders.

That is a record for volume of logs and cachers in one week, by the way.

When I give presentations, I like saying "Did you know that there are 2,137 of these containers within 100 miles of where you're sitting right now? And that the nearest one is just .2 miles from here, where you pass by every day?" Everyone always says "whoa." So do a search based on the coordinates of your school.

What I find amazing in KA's result, and thanks by the way, is that when I look at my standing of geocahers listing, and this maybe some what erronous, is that I am 3400ish. What I have wondered is how many people of the 153369 are still actively caching and what would you define as an active cacher, 1 week a month or year. I know it is not a numbers game but is just interesting for someone that plays with stats.

cheers

Hello,

The page I quoted said that there were 153369 active caches, NOT 153369 active cachers. Big difference. There are more than 362,000 cacher accounts registered on the site. No stats are available publicly on how many of them have been active within the past month or year, just during the past week as stated above.

Ugh...... I am bad read it to fast. Okay well I it still makes me wonder how many active, and I know that is hard to quantify the term, cacheRs there are. So it just makes it an interesting question. I guess you have to say there are 300K+ registured cacheRs. Some of these are semi socket puppet accounts some are probable just folks with just one or two caches 3 years ago. But I have wondered where are teh cachers have gone long ago...... Okay I am sorry, NOT.

cheers

Excellent suggestions! I never noticed the staistics on the faq page, but I have updated them. I've pulled some excellent material off wikipedia for both Geocaching and GPS.

I'll be posting my speech online if anyone is remotely interested. :-) BOY, am I going to go over the time limit! I'm supposed to bring it in at 6-8 minutes, it's going to be a 20 minute speech! So what if I lose some points, it's going to be a great speech!

The speech went really well, the feedback was great, and it looks like I added some converts who at least want to check it out, including the instructor. If I hadn't gone over in time, I would have gotten 94% on it.

Eventually I'll post it online, I'm in the process of relocating all my sites to a new hosting service.

The speech went really well, the feedback was great, and it looks like I added some converts who at least want to check it out, including the instructor. If I hadn't gone over in time, I would have gotten 94% on it.

Eventually I'll post it online, I'm in the process of relocating all my sites to a new hosting service.

Congratulations! That's sounds like a great time. Wish I could have done that when I was in school, but I don't think there was much in the way of consumer GPS units then, and even so, SA was turned on.

Just remember in that presentation, that not nearly all areas included in that 214 countries qualify as countries. For example, the second one in the list, misspelled 'Aland Isles' (should be (The) Åland Islands) is not a country but a province. There is a number of other similar cases.

Edit: Oops, I should have read the thread more carefully, the speech has already taken place. :blink: Well, that doesn't change the fact that the country list has other areas than countries too.

Edited by Divine