Laptop Caching

I have been reading different threads and many of them mention using a laptop while caching. I am not sure if there has been a prior post on this, but I have faith that I will be pointed in the right direction. How do you go about doing this away from home? I just purchased a laptop and think that this could be very beneficial. I do get tired of shuffling through all of the printouts.

Thanks for you help :blink:;)

If you can download Pocket Queries you can use the laptop in many ways. The software I use is this.

1. Watcher - to read the GPX files on the laptop

http://clayjar.com/gc/watcher/

2. ExpertGPS, Quakemap, Topofusion, Mapsource to map out caches. (All mapping programs that will read GPX files and put them on a map. Note do not save changes out of ExpertGPS as you will no longer be able to open the file with Watcher)

http://www.expertgps.com

http://www.topofusion.com

http://www.earthquakemap.com

3. Several utilities from Thot at

http://www.factsfacts.com/geocachingsoft/ThotsUtilities.htm

I use the locationless analyzer and the cache clusters to plan a caching day.

Many people will also suggest GSAK. I like the Watcher interface better but that is personal preference.

Im sure there are many different methods, but here is mine.

My laptop is loaded with GSAK. It is also loaded with National Geographic TOPO.

Before leaving to go caching, I run a PQ for the area in which I am headed and load that into GSAK on my laptop. I use GSAK and export all the waypoints into TOPO so all the caches will show up as little blue dots on the TOPO map.

Once I decide which cache Im going to search for first, I connect my GPS to my laptop and I am able to track my position on the TOPO map. I can now navigate cache to cache quite easily. I also have all the cache pages on my laptop courtesy of GSAK.

A laptop would be a nice tool, but I feel a Palm PDA is a better choice for Geocaching.

Most of my cache quests typically have me driving to as close as I can to the target then park the car and hike in from there. A laptop would probably be left in the car, whereas I can bring my PDA quite conveniently all the way to the target. This is good if I want to (re)reference some detail about an elusive cache. Perhaps a previous finder had left some tidbit detail in their log that helps me find the well-hidden cache.

With a PDA and software like Cachemate, I can carry all the details about the cache just like I could in a laptop. But if you desire to use a laptop instead then any of the suggestions that had been mentioned would work quite well too.,

I prefer the laptop because I can track my position in real time on the map.

In this day and age of soaring gas prices, anything that keeps me from having to back track and drive around looking for a cache access point is welcome.

PDA vs. Laptop: Thank goodness it is not an either or choice. I use both. I always have my PDA with me because it has all my cache information in it. When I am going someplace where dynamic mapping on the computer is beneficial such as unfamiliar cities or areas where I am following a maze of poorly marked logging roads, I bring my computer, plug in my GPS and watch myself drive along the maps (using Quakemap software).

So, my PDA is the backbone of my portable computing and my laptop is a nice accessory that is useful while driving . . . sometimes.

Have fun.

I wouldn't want to leave my PowerBook alone in my vehicle for more than a few minutes, especially in some of the urban areas I sometimes cache in. But my cheapo Palm Zire 21 will hold at least 3000 caches, and fits in my pocket.

But I have been known to seek out a hotspot to log in some caches and pull up a Pocket Query on my laptop while scarfing down a burger...

What kind/make of PDA would be best for caching? I have an older laptop but it's way to heavy and awkward to fit in my backpack when i go out caching. I think the smaller PDA would be the ticket.

Chris

I got a Pocket PC because it's Windows based and I'm more familiar with Windows and like it or not I suspect there will be more software eventually for PPC's rather than Palms (watch the flaming!!) :(

One of the downsides of laptops and caching is juggling. Recently some of my friends were down here caching and every time they got in and out of the car they had to pick up the lap tops move them around, etc... I think it doubled the time between caches.

Pocket PCs already have plenty of real-time mapping software. I use Vito-Navigator to point me to the cache, Pocket Streets to show me where I am on the map so I can drive right up to the access point, and GPX Sonar to manage the cache pages. Of course, I also use a compact flash GPS card in the pocket pc. S uses an Etrex Vista at the cache site and I turn off the GPS on the pocket pc if it's gonna be a long hunt to extend the battery life for access to the cache pages and the logging functions.

- T of TandS

I use a Dell Axim x50v with a CF card GPS and Memory-Map. I also carry at least on other GPSr with me. Memory-Map allows me to put the caches of concern on my maps and take the maps along for the hike. With the maps available now, you can get a very detailed idea of the area before you even see it. Satellite images are great.

What kind/make of PDA would be best for caching? I have an older laptop but it's way to heavy and awkward to fit in my backpack when i go out caching. I think the smaller PDA would be the ticket.

Chris

I got a Pocket PC because it's Windows based and I'm more familiar with Windows and like it or not I suspect there will be more software eventually for PPC's rather than Palms (watch the flaming!!) :D

I got a Palm because it was not Windoze-based . . . :D

But seriously, my little Palm M500 can be had on eBay for $35.00 to $60.00, depending on condition and time of auction close. It, along with Cachemate (best $8.00 I ever spent on software), work perfectly for the kind of caching I like to do.

I got a Palm because it was not Windoze-based . . .

LOL touche! :D

Yep, living a Microsoft-free life isn't as hard as one might think; actually, it's much EASIER and less frustrating (crashes, virii, poor security, counter-intuitiveness...should I keep going?) than putting up with the bandaid-on-top-of-bandaid bloatware that Windoze has become.

Panther (soon to be Tiger), MacGPS Pro and CacheMate is the cool approach.

Firstly, if you aren't a member become one - Pocket Queries are invaluable!

Next, keep your data curent! I went caching on the spur of the moment with a friend today and carried none of my equipment - we just had his GPS. Get to a cache site, search, search, curse, search, search, finally phone-a-friend, to discover the cache was archived last week! Load a current PQ before every trip!

I cache almost daily and there's no telling where I will be, so I get a PQ of 500 in central Alabama AND a PQ of 500 in north Alabama/Tennessee every day.

I have 5 PCs networked in my house, and use an HP Pavillion laptop as my primary PC, so when I go caching I take it with me and always have everything I need.

When I receive the PQs in email I save them to a disk folder, always overwriting any previous version.

I open Geocaching Survival Army Knife (GSAK) and Import the file.

Because I often cache with others I get both found and unfound caches in my PQ, as well as archived.

I immediately filter out the archived caches, thus reducing the 500 caches by 10 or so, and in this way I prevent myself from filling up waypoint memory on my GPS.

I am a klutz - If I get a PQ of 500 active caches I will always forget and load them all, filling GPS memory, and when I go to mark a new waypoint I don't have any available memory, and have to delete wayponts first to make room!

Do any desired data manipulation (sort, filter, whatever...GSAK is quite powerful).

Upload the file of found & unfound to my Meridian GPS

Filter GSAK to eliminate caches I have found.

Upload only the unfound caches to my Meridian Platinum GPS.

Reset the filter to show found & unfound.

Export to a CacheMate .pdb (Palm databse) file. HotSynch my Palm Tungsten C to load all cache pages into CacheMate on the Palm.

Export to HTML, so I have full cache pages on my laptop.

Export to a Street Atlas .txt file

I know that sounds like a lot, but it takes 5 minutes or less, and I have cache pages on the laptop to review if needed, have the cache pages in my Palm if I need them away from the car, have all caches in one GPS so if I want to revisit caches I have been to when caching with others, and have unfound caches in another (one with an electronic compass!).

So now I put the laptop, Palm and 2 GPSs in a bag and head out.

I made a laptop stand for my Suburban that holds it over the console.

Plug in my dash-mounted Earthmate GPS and laptop power supply.

Start Street Atlas and import the .txt file I exported from GSAK, so now all the waypoints show up on the map, and I'm off!

I have maps and full cache pages in or out of the car, full-size maps on the laptop so I don't have to squint at the little GPS screen - it's kewl!

Plus, the laptop and Palm have Wi-Fi builet in, so I can connect to the internet anytime I am near a hotspot, and the laptop and my cell phone have BlueTooth, so I can connect anytime I have a cell signal.

Ever wanted to change your search area but didn't have a PQ for the new area? This solves that!

Software: a PQ, GSAK, Cachemate and Street Atlas

Hardware: a hand-held GPS, Earthmate GPS, Palm, cell phone, digital camera and laptop.

Geocaching anywhere anytime with or without anyone else without frustration? Priceless!

Firstly, if you aren't a member become one - Pocket Queries are invaluable!

Next, keep your data curent! I went caching on the spur of the moment with a friend today and carried none of my equipment - we just had his GPS. Get to a cache site, search, search, curse, search, search, finally phone-a-friend, to discover the cache was archived last week! Load a current PQ before every trip!

. . .

That is what happened to me recently.

I wrote in my Geocaching Blog:

I loaded those waypoints into my GPSr and my Palmie weeks and weeks ago and hadn't revisited those cache pages, or updated the .gpx files.

. . . I might never know if I am having a hard time finding a cache that is actually there, or I'm spending too much time looking for a cache that isn't there anymore. What a dilemma!

Living near a very large metropolitan area with lots, and lots of caches (and lots of zip codes to search), can make keeping things updated a bit difficult.

After two months of doing this, I'm slowly starting to figure all this out.

AR, Thanks for including all the info about how you do this. ;)