The Jester's Road Trip

The Jester

My wife (Blooming Idiot) & I are planning a trip so I can get Mingo GC30 as my 1000th cache. Instead of doing a dash & grab, we're planning on three week caching vacation. We're looking for recommendations of 'not-to-be-missed' caches all along the route. We're planning (hopefully) enough time each day to get in several caches & some sightseeing. Several other caches from the first 100 placed caches along the route are on the list (red flags on the map). Meeting some of the local cachers would be a great addition to the trip!

Current schedule: (Date, Day, Activity, Night's stay)

May 20, Friday, Cache & Drive, Moses Lake, WA

May 21, Saturday, Cache & Drive, Boise, ID

May 22, Sunday, Cache & Drive, Provo, UT

May 23, Monday, Cache & Drive, Vernel, UT

May 24, Tuesday, Dinosaur NM, Vernel, UT

May 25, Wednesday, Cache & Drive, Colorado Springs, CO

May 26, Thursday, Drive to Mingo & back, Colorado Springs, CO

May 27, Friday, Caching & sightsee*, Colorado Springs, CO

May 28, Saturday, Caching & sightsee*, Colorado Springs, CO

May 29, Sunday, Caching & sightsee*, Pueblo, CO

May 30, Monday, Cache & Drive, Alamosa, CO

May 31, Tuesday, Cumbres & Toltec RR, Alamosa, CO

June 1, Wednesday, Cache & Drive, Durango, CO

June 2, Thursday, Durango And Silverton RR, Durango, CO

June 3, Friday, Cache & Drive, Page, AZ

June 4, Saturday, Cache & Drive, Williams, AZ

June 5, Sunday, Grand Canyon, Williams, AZ

June 6, Monday, Cache & Drive, Las Vegas, NV

June 7, Tuesday, Cache & Drive, Salinas, CA (TMA-1 while here)

June 8, Wednesday, Cache & Drive, Grants Pass, OR

June 9, Thursday, Cache & Drive, Home

*Some of the things we want to see: Royal Gorge, Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak, Seven Falls. Which day or order is open.

Trip2005.jpg

Any help is appreciated!

As far as Las Vegas, check out www.nevadageocaching.com. We are currently making strides to get local favorites listed (for all of Nevada).

Here's a plug for my personal favorites:

Out of Las Vegas headed to Barstow, stop off at Natural Air Conditioning to see how the miners lived.

Between Tehachapi and Bakersfield. Operation Iraqi Freedom II and watch the train loop over itself.

As far as Las Vegas, check out www.nevadageocaching.com. We are currently making strides to get local favorites listed (for all of Nevada).

Here's a plug for my personal favorites:

Out of Las Vegas headed to Barstow, stop off at Natural Air Conditioning to see how the miners lived.

Between Tehachapi and Bakersfield. Operation Iraqi Freedom II and watch the train loop over itself.

Those two both sound very interesting. Thanks.

I'll also check the website.

I'm still collecting ideas/caches. I'd love a few suggestions for the Provo/Salt Lake area. We're spending the night there and then going for Topliff. Others around town would nice to know about (without having to 'plow' through a couple of hundred).

Colorado Springs is also 'up in the air'.

Wow! What a trip :ph34r: . I am sooo jealous.

We did the Iraqi Freedom II cache mentioned, and indeed, it is very cool. We watched three or four trains go through the loop with at least a couple dozen other train enthusiasts.

I see TMA-1 on your list, and my only warning would be that it may still be submerged at the base (probably waist deep water at this point). You might want to email me before heading out there and I could give you a river report.

My only other recommendation, which would add a few more miles to your trip, would be to come down Hwy 1 instead of 101 or 5 (yuck). I would cut across at Cambria to San Luis Obispo, then jog a bit North to 58 to the Grapevine (you could snag Buxley's "F is for Faultline Cache" at Wallace Creek). You'll see alot of spectacular scenerey between Santa Cruz and the Hearst Castle that way. Unfortunately, my route would miss much of the Central Valley and some choice caches out that way. I'm sure Green Achers would have a pretty good list to offer for that area (i.e. Black Box - OK, inside joke; you had to be there).

Good Luck.

Thanks Touchstone. I'll check on TMA-1 before trying (though as a climber from WA wet isn't that big a deal - bet my wife has another opinion though...). The route isn't fixed thru CA, that's just what S&T recommended. We went to Hearst Castle several years ago and the scenery as great. I'll be checking that route out.

It's almost time to start the adventure. I just want to ask if anyone in the Colorado Springs area is interested in joining us on the run to Mingo, we should be doing it on Thurs May 26. We're staying at the Motel 6 on Chestnut. Post a note here if your interested.

Unfortunately, the guidelines say 2 weeks notice for events.

That doesn't mean we can't still meet though! I'm free on Wednesday until 4pm, so the sooner you get to Colorado Springs the more caching we can do. Actually, I might meet you in Dillon and cache back to the Springs. Do you have a cell number or will you have Internet access during your trip?

We could meet here

Leave something nice in Mingo for me. :)

Well, one thing I'm planning on dropping there is a Washington State Geocoin. Nice enough?

And, of course, several TB's I've collected from around here.

Thanks to a Christmas present from an aunt in Bellevue, I've actually already got a Washington State Geocoin (they're the most beautiful coins I've ever seen in person)

I'll probably leave one of my sig items in that cache also. Oldest existing cache on the planet? Oh yeah, I'm so there.

Depending how tomorrow goes, we may have to delay the run to Mingo one day so I can fill in some holes in the count. I'll know more tomorrow night.

Sax Man, that (GC815A) sounds like a nice place to meet. What time would we have to be there so you can keep your schedule?

Depending how tomorrow goes, we may have to delay the run to Mingo one day so I can fill in some holes in the count. I'll know more tomorrow night.

Sax Man, that (GC815A) sounds like a nice place to meet. What time would we have to be there so you can keep your schedule?

It would have to be no later than 11am, preferably around 10. That would give us enough time to cache in the area before Ihave to head to work (it's jus over 2 hours from there). I'll be driving our new Jeep (2005 Wrangler, black paint, soft top)

Depending how tomorrow goes, we may have to delay the run to Mingo one day so I can fill in some holes in the count.  I'll know more tomorrow night.

Sax Man, that (GC815A) sounds like a nice place to meet.  What time would we have to be there so you can keep your schedule?

It would have to be no later than 11am, preferably around 10. That would give us enough time to cache in the area before Ihave to head to work (it's jus over 2 hours from there). I'll be driving our new Jeep (2005 Wrangler, black paint, soft top)

I'm sorry, but that may not work. To get there that early, means leaving Vernal before light I think. Let me look at the schedule better and get back to you.

Depending how tomorrow goes, we may have to delay the run to Mingo one day so I can fill in some holes in the count.  I'll know more tomorrow night.

Sax Man, that (GC815A) sounds like a nice place to meet.  What time would we have to be there so you can keep your schedule?

I'm sorry, but that may not work. To get there that early, means leaving Vernal before light I think. Let me look at the schedule better and get back to you.

Yeah, Streets and Trips puts that at 4 1/2 hours, so I guess meeting up on Wednesday won't work out. I'll still be going there, Dr123d and I have some caches planned. We'll meet in Colorado Springs then.

BTW, if you want to hear me play you're more than welcome to come to our church on Sunday before heading to Pueblo (we're thinking of following you down there anyway that afternoon). Services are at 8am, 9:15, and 10:45. I'm usually done playing by 11am, so we could go to Pueblo then.

BTW, if you want to hear me play you're more than welcome to come to our church on Sunday before heading to Pueblo (we're thinking of following you down there anyway that afternoon). Services are at 8am, 9:15, and 10:45. I'm usually done playing by 11am, so we could go to Pueblo then.[/color]

We just might do that. The 8am service would probably work best, as we are going to be going out to Royal Gorge that day - just a 'slight' detour on the way to Pueblo. :( What's the address? (if you want to e-mail it, use a private message on the forums, I have easier access to that then my normal e-mail).

Sorry I didn't reply last night, but found that my dial-up didn't have any local numbers to Vernal (if I'd had a wireless card there's free hi-speed in the motel).

The "Run" is done! I got Mingo today for my 1000th. It was a grand "Run" - seven long days of driving & caching, almost 3000 miles & 75 caches! Now a couple of days of sightseeing around Colorado Springs (with caching) then on to the southern part of the state.

:D:lol:;);):P:P:P:P

Congratulations on hitting 1000! I'm hoping to hit that milestone 14 months from now ;)

I'm free Friday and Saturday evening for caching in Colorado Springs, then Sunday afternoon we were planning on heading to Pueblo. Have any particular caches planned?

I'm free Friday and Saturday evening for caching in Colorado Springs, then Sunday afternoon we were planning on heading to Pueblo. Have any particular caches planned?

Saturday: In the morning going down to Seven Falls (and hoping to find Paul Barcley Stash) and then a drive to Air Force Academy. No real cache list, just what we find. Evening has no plans.

Sunday: Morning out to Royal Gorge, afternoon Pueblo. Again no cache list.

Suggestions for either?

Sunday we're heading down to Pueblo after church. Should be there by 1pm. How about meeting up here at 1pm?

Can we make it 2? Just so we have a little more time at Royal Gorge. Do you have an FRS radio? We're both on Rino's and will be on 2-0.

We could just meet you in Canon City at 1 (since we haven't cached there yet) or in Pueblo at 2. Whichever works for your schedule.

How about here?

Sunday we're heading down to Pueblo after church. Should be there by 1pm. How about meeting up here at 1pm?

Can we make it 2? Just so we have a little more time at Royal Gorge. Do you have an FRS radio? We're both on Rino's and will be on 2-0.

We could just meet you in Canon City at 1 (since we haven't cached there yet) or in Pueblo at 2. Whichever works for your schedule.

How about here?

At one o'clock at that cache sounds like a plan. That should give us time to 'play' up at the Gorge and do all the nasty tourist-type stuff my wife insists on ;) (it's a good thing she out doing laundry, or I may not have been able to walk tomorrow).

Anyone else want to join us?

How about here?

At one o'clock at that cache sounds like a plan. That should give us time to 'play' up at the Gorge and do all the nasty tourist-type stuff my wife insists on ;) (it's a good thing she out doing laundry, or I may not have been able to walk tomorrow).

Anyone else want to join us?

Ok, we've got it marked, along with some caches to do in the area just north of Canon City (jurassic Park, Garden Park, Mr. Volkswagon, etc)

See you at 1 :)

Ok, we've got it marked, along with some caches to do in the area just north of Canon City (jurassic Park, Garden Park, Mr. Volkswagon, etc)

See you at 1 ;)

Sounds good! I have a number in the area and down toward Pueblo loaded in GSAK so we can do as much or as little as desire & time allow.

Just a wrap up post. I've been back a week now, and just today finished posting all the cache logs. I've still got a few photos I want to add to some caches, but that will happen when it happens.

The trip lasted 22 days, covered 6,437 miles with 147 hours 17 minutes of drive time. We found 181 caches and had 17 DNF's in 9 states. That works out to finding a cache every 35.56 miles or 8.2 caches a day. Our best day was 22 caches (Lehi UT to Vernal UT), our 'worst' were two 1-cache days (one we were on the Cumbres & Toltec RR with a cache at lunch (GCG9Y4), the other was one day in Colorado Springs where we DNF'd two and found GC67, a cache rescue). We found 8 of first 100 caches placed, with Mingo (THE oldest) being my 1000th find.

We went from sea level to 14,110 (by Pikes Peak cog RR - 2 caches on top). Our highest walking cache was at 11,400 (GC19). I took and dropped 13 TB's from around here, and returned with 14 TB's & 3 geocoins.

Favorite caches (in no order): Dog Bark Park, TMA-1, all of the Grand Canyon virtuals, Oregen Trail and Kelton Road, the 2 earthcaches (Saddle Mountain & Garden of the Gods), all the 'oldies' (for various reasons), I was Framed!!! virtual, AlreadE Micro Cache, Natural Air Conditioning, Operation Iraqi Freedom II. That's just the short list, there were so many that were good.

We met only two other caching groups while traveling, but we planned a day with Team GPSaxophone in the Colorado Springs area (a very fun day - and we visited their church that morning, and yes he does play the sax!).

Whew! What a trip.