E-mail User Page Upside-down?

ShowStop

I'm not sure if this is a browser issue (I get this error with IE), but after the new look of the GC.com website came online last month, the e-mail user page is whacky. The header of "E-mail/Lookup a User" displays on the bottom of the page. Screen shot attached:

emailform.jpg

Hi,

since yesterday I can't use the e-mail page with the Opera browser (7.54u2)

anymore.

The page looks scrambled, and I cannot click into the textarea field.

With Firefox, everything seems alright.

I hope you can fix this soon...

Thanks,

West468

cachew nut Posted on Apr 17 2005, 09:31 PM

It's still broken if you ask me. I feel the "Email me a copy of this message" should not be checked by default.

If this was a Pole Question, I would have to vote to leave it as is.

I suspect those that don't use this feature very often will benefit most by not changing it.

I suspect those that don't use this feature very often will benefit most by not changing it.

It's a useless feature except for airheads who can't remember what they emailed to someone else.

I think, at the very least, it should toggle to your last setting or be adjusted in your preferences. Instead, all you have is a choice between turning it off or spamming yourself each time you send someone an email.

At least we have some kind of option though. It took a bit of begging to actually have the choice to turn it off, after about a year of mandatory spamming of your own mailbox.

Please respect those community members who find receiving e-mail copies to be a useful feature, by refraining from calling them "airheads."

Please remain on topic. This thread is about a technical glitch that Jeremy has corrected. If anyone wishes to debate the e-mail copy setting they may start a new thread or bump an old one that's on-topic.

Thanks.

Thanks for bringing that point up, BalkanSabranje.

I emailed about this the other day. Until just a few days ago, I had been able to contact other users using Opera (my browser of choice for more than 2 1/2 years). But now, the page begins to load, and then flashes to a nearly blank page. Very odd behavior. B)

I don't like having to open FireFox to contact another user. On my slooooow connection (24K), it is really inconvenient to have to load the page all over again in a different browser. :o

I hope this can be fixed quickly. If it worked before, it should be easily remedied.

Please respect those community members who find receiving e-mail copies to be a useful feature, by refraining from calling them "airheads."

In the old days you could send an email to someone else without spamming your own mailbox. Someone had a brain fart and then for about a year you had no choice but to spam your own mailbox. Later, after numerous requests, an option appears to turn off spamming yourself, but it needs to be de-selected each time. Where was the respect for those who never asked for this useless option to be imposed upon them? I can apologize for the name calling but you can't make me respect them. Sorry.

Please remain on topic. This thread is about a technical glitch that Jeremy has corrected. If anyone wishes to debate the e-mail copy setting they may start a new thread or bump an old one that's on-topic.

Sorry, you are right. Good job, Jeremy!!!

From a user interface standpoint (from someone who's designed them several decades), the current set-up is the correct one. A default setting should be the one that does the least harm, and is most easily recovered from.

If someone doesn't want a copy, but forgets to uncheck the box, at most they are slightly inconvenienced by having to delete a message from their inbox. If they really find this an inconvenience, they can simpy create a rule in the email client to automatically delete the copies. Pretty simple, since they're tagged as copies in the subject line.

But if the default were reversed, and someone forgets to check the box, there is no recovery.

This thread is about a technical glitch that Jeremy has corrected. 

This glitch may be repaired for IE.

Under Opera (Version 7.54u1, Build 3918), the email function is still inoperable since the last changes.

Jeremy, thanks for having another look.

BalkanSabranje

Just wanted to repeat that this function still doesn't work in Opera . . . :)

I upgraded to the new Opera 8.0, but the Email function on gc.com is still broken.

Jeremy, plz check this.

Thx,

BalkanSabranje

I can confirm this.

There is a problem with Opera 8.0 to use the gc email function. :(

Thanks

Frank (Germany)

Edited by fulbrich

Maybe it should be pointed out that this is not a browser problem as such,

but a consequence of bad HTML.

As one user remarked in the German speaking forum, if one uses the "validate"

function, you get "This page is not Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional!" plus a list of

innumerous errors!

Most of them can probably fixed very quickly though.

West468

Thanks for bringing this up again . . .

I put the page into the HTMLHelp website and the number of errors was too great to continue reporting all of them.

Opera is a great . . . in my humble opinion . . . the best browser. It can handle some poorly-coded pages, but the "new" code for the email page is just too much for even Opera to translate. :huh:

I also noticed the problem was sort of solved. Over the past week or so, I could send messages to some users and couldn't send messages to others.

I've had to open FireFox in those instances . . . or in one instance I decided not to send a message . . . :laughing:

I use the bought-and-paid-for version of Opera 8.

Although this works sometimes, today I tried to contact three different users and had to open Firefox to get the page to load correctly in order to send my messages.

As as been mentioned before, this used to work flawlessly prior to the changes a couple of months ago.

I sure wish it was consistent for us Opera users.

Thanks . . .