Explorist? I Don't See No Stink'n Explorist.

Last night I hooked up my 500 to my Windoz laptop. The 500 went into USB mode very nicely. The laptop said it saw a USB device and wanted the driver for it. Yet, when I browsed to the USB driver on the Magellan CD, Windoz said it didn't see any driver. After several attempts, I cancelled that and ran the Magellan basemap software.

That turned out to be a dead end too, because it kept giving me the prompt that it couldn't find a GPS device, 'Retry or Cancel'. Retry, retry, retry... no good. Didn't work.

<_<

Any thoughts?

Oh yeah, I'm running a very stable Win 98.

Snap...does the CD have a driver installation program? Did you run that? Then, it usually works best (at least in my experience, and I have 98SE also) to shut down, then start the computer (as opposed to restart).

Then try hooking up the gps again. If it still doesn't recognize it , look in Windows Device Manager while the gps is hooked up, and see if it shows up there (perhaps under USB devices).

If it's there, but with either an exclamation point or even looking normal, then I would unhook the gps, go back to device manager, remove the device (i.e., highlight the device, click remove), then reboot the computer.

Now plug in the gps and see if Windows will build a new driver database and recognize the unit.

Good luck.

One thought: did you run the software installation applet from the CD already? That may install drivers in the process of putting the GM and converter on the computer.

If your machine asked for a driver, but couldn't see anything in the USB Driver folder on the software CD, I'd probably give those nice people at Magellan a call to see if they can do anything for you (caution: don't expect too much).

I, too, couldn't get the unit recognized on my first try, and I'm a little foggy on what I did to get it to work (no drivers were requested). Make sure the data cable is down on the backside. I had luck the second time, when I consciously made the connections with the unit off and then powered it up.

<_< Thanks, everyone. I will do that as soon as I get home. I'll let you know how it works out.

By the way, I can confirm that the 500 DOES charge while plugged in to the computer.

I don't understand the whole cable position up / down thing, though. I find it odd that the position of the cable makes a difference. But, I'm a newbie here, so who am I to say what's normal?

I am enjoying the company of the good folks in this forum more than my GPS. Thanks, again, for your help.

A thought - I don't know if you've tried it yet or not...

I've found W98 to be rather picky about PnP devices - what works for me:

1. Shut down computer

2. Attach desired peripheral, turn on if necessary

3. Turn on computer

4. Hope that W98 can find your device! <_<

5. Reboot to make sure Windoze has really installed the drivers

Basically, shut down your computer, attatch GPS, turn on GPS, turn on computer, install drivers, reboot

If that doesn't work then I'd be very confused :ph34r:

(then again, it doesn't take much to confuse me :blink: )

Happy Caching

Jeff

For setting up USB devices, I've found this to be a primary difference between Win'98 and Win'XP

With Win'98 you ALWAYS must install the software/drivers onto the computer BEFORE plugging in the device. Always!

Win'XP is much more friendly & flexible with this. If you goofed on the sequence with Win'98, and plugged the device in before loading drives (drivers are ALWAYS needed for USB devices & Win'98) then you could be in a world of hurt. As has been mentioned, go to device manager & remove any broken or invalid devices. Reboot, then install the driver(s), THEN plug in the device.

Hi SnaptheFrog,

I think I have the same problem with the Explorist and W98 as you. :rolleyes:

The installation software ends very fast but does not seem to instal anything. I can copy the geocaching software manually on my computer but I have found no way to instal any drivers, maybe they are missing on the CD.

Please write a note if you have found a solution.

According to Magellan there is no support for the Explorists USB connection in Win98 or ME. So it's XP or an SD card writer...

Also it will charge through the USB port but only if the unit is off. If it is on then I believe it will provide power to the unit without charging.

Edited by JoelMart
According to Magellan there is no support for the Explorists USB connection in Win98 or ME. So it's XP or an SD card writer...

Also it will charge through the USB port but only if the unit is off. If it is on then I believe it will provide power to the unit without charging.

I like Reference Manuals that are missing basic remarks about software compatibility. :laughing:

Edited by Maulef