Crickets

I heard there was going to be problems with Mormon Crickets this year in Nevada but wow - another cacher and I came across millions of those little buggers yesterday. At one point you'd think you saw a rock and then that rock would start moving and jumping. Very spooky feeling to see millions of small Mormon Crickets covering the ground. Apparently they are just starting to hatch. It was definitely time to seek another route to the cache. Over in another county (in which I was told I was never there) many years ago I had a rat run up my pant leg. That was bad enough but the thought out all the crickets crawing over me made me shiver. Give me snakes and scorpions any time. At least they come in small quantities :lol:

I have eaten various insects. Crickets are actually quite good fried and salted. I didn't care for the fried grub things I tried once though.

Jeff Probst:

"The final vote and the winner of Survivor: Geocaching ... (dramatic pause) ... carleenp!"

carleenp:

"Thanks Jeff. I think it was the challenge where I had to eat the crickets that put me over the top."

Jeff Probst:

"Yes carleenp, it looked like you had a special liking to them."

carleenp:

"Crickets are everywhere this year Jeff. I see log after log about them."

I have eaten various insects. Crickets are actually quite good fried and salted. I didn't care for the fried grub things I tried once though.

Jeff Probst:

"The final vote and the winner of Survivor: Geocaching ... (dramatic pause) ... carleenp!"

carleenp:

"Thanks Jeff. I think it was the challenge where I had to eat the crickets that put me over the top."

Jeff Probst:

carleenp:

I could take those Survivor "food" challenges well. I wanted to apply to be on it once and even had planned how to sneek caching into the audition tape, but my employer said "no." :D

Jeff Probst:

carleenp:

Jeff Probst:

carleenp:

I could take those Survivor "food" challenges well. I wanted to apply to be on it once and even had planned how to sneek caching into the audition tape, but my employer said "no." :D

Your employer seems to control just a bit too much of your personal life. Exactly how is that covered in your employment contract? Interesting.

Edited by Team cotati697
Your employer seems to control just a bit too much of your personal life. Exactly how is that covered in your employment contract? Interesting.

It is called getting the work done. Survivor requires 6+ weeks off work. I can't take that off, although I tried to convince them of how it could be done for one where the filming was during our slow time. I also work for a public government agency that doesn't like employees being on TV without knowing how they would be shown/edited. I can't really blame them. In the end, as much as I think survivor would be a blast to try for, I would prefer to keep my job that I love. :lol:

It is called getting the work done. Survivor requires 6+ weeks off work. I can't take that off, although I tried to convince them of how it could be done for one where the filming was during our slow time. I also work for a public government agency that doesn't like employees being on TV without knowing how they would be shown/edited. I can't really blame them. In the end, as much as I think survivor would be a blast to try for, I would prefer to keep my job that I love. :lol:

Yeah, my employer said pretty much the same thing. Bummer, huh?

<<Warning, shameless self-promotion ahead>> :lol:

I would be happy to serve up my critter cuisine to anyone who attends this year's Bugfest in Raleigh, NC on August 13. It's all free so this isn't a commercial post. B) Yup, once a year I get paid to cook and serve insects to the public!

Maybe if there is enough interest we could get an event scheduled? :D

Last weekend while out caching, I noticed the path seemed to be "alive". At first I thought they were just flies buzzing around but as they got thicker I noticed they were thousands of tiny baby crickets. There were just so many of them jumping away as I walked it seemed like a swarm of flies.

crickets.jpg

You think that that's bad? Just be glad that you didn't bump into a million Baptists. WOW!!!!

I had a baptist crawl up my pant leg once...

But seriously now, when you see something like that, take a few pictures. If you survive, you can post the photos to go with your crazy story. If you don't survive, the images probably will, as the little buggers won't be able to eat the camera, too. When the authorities find your bleached bones, they will also find the camera, and look at the photos, and...and...OH MY GOD! LOOK WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS POOR BASTARD!

Just today at Purdue University, the Entomology Department hosted their annual Bug Bowl. Cricket Spitting is always a hotly contested event! One can also find Cocroach Racing at the RoachHill Downs.

While at Bug Bowl you can also sample various delicasies made from insects, larvae, grubs and the like.

people try to remember a simple set of rules in life, just because you can catch it does not make it edible. especially if you need to add lots of spices etc to it. bugs/snails etc fall into this catergory.

just because it's touted as a local "delicacy" you should not eat it. sheeps eye's and monkey brains??? sorry that sounds too much like a practical joke played on the first explorers that's been taken too far.

when i'm stuck in the middle of nowehere and in danger of starvation i might consider these delicacies. but while i've a local store and food in the cupboard it ain't going to happen! :laughing:

Actually nobby, and others who are squeamish about this-we do not go out into the wilds to collect our bugs here. They are all farm raised by the same suppliers that zoos and aquariums and our animal care department buy from like Rainbow Mealworms and Fluker Farms. We also found a Thai wholesale supplier who offers canned freeze dried insects destined for shelves in Oriental markets B) .

Two years ago we got real lucky. A museum summer intern's family was from Nigeria. Her dad had to go there for business about a month before Bugfest, so they got the necessary permits for him to bring these deep fried 4+" grasshoppers back into the states from the corner market there! :o

And yes, we are in contact with the folks at Perdue. Every year they ask for some of my recipes.

Since I live in South Ga, If I ever stumble across something like that, I would definately grab some for FREE fish bait! Although I have been bitten by a cricket, they don't hurt and you can sell them for a buck 50 for a hundred of them... You could have made a few bucks for your next placed cache! lol... :unsure:

In 2001 near Dinosaur National Park Colorado we saw MILLIONS of those crickets roaming everywhere. Creepy - they are about 2 inches long. I'll dig up some pictures and post them. The Jeep made a distinct crushy sound as we drove along. Someareas of road for miles at a time were just black with them.....creepy.

Driving through them gets interesting. The road is moving and the tires are kicking them up as you go. Very Erie.

Later in the summer after they have eaten everthing, they start working on each other. That's kinda sick but it does thin them out quite a bit.

True dat.

Last summer the roads north of Reno were slick with Morman Crickets.

I wonder if the snow we had last night will reduce the problem this year?

Hey Rusty - look outside - it's snowing! BTW - the crickets we came across were in the area of the Sarvis Clan 1 (a.k.a. Fossil Bed) cache on the west side of Pyramid Hwy.

It was snowing when I was out at lunch today.

We saw a lot of crickets out toward Hallaluja Junction last year, as well as Pyramid Highway. They get closer to town every year. :)