Locked Threads.

So, when you mods are in your moderating mode, and close a topic because it's a dupe; Could you please post a link to the dupe thread. I can never find them, nor should I try. Is there a limit on active threads here? (No) So why lock every thread? You should go lock the first one and keep the current discussion open. It's better anyways.

Thanks for letting me vent.

IMHO I would rather have the dupe'd thread closed than tying to track the parallel threads. On occasion, the duplicate threads seem to each carry a different perspective on the same topic, but not that often. Usually, it ends up as redundancy. My observation is that the mods close threads for valid reasons, with very very rare exceptions of course.

Often the duplicate thread is right on the same page. For example one of the two SC legislation threads were locked today and that makes sense to me since the two were almost identical and had overlapping info and often made references to the other threads. It got confusing to follow with two threads open. If that is the one you are looking for the other thread is up at or near the top of the page. Sometimes/often the locked thread will include links to the other thread from posters as well. Plus I think I have seen the mods link to the other thread before? I suppose they perhaps don't always think of it at the time though. It could useful when the duplicate thread is in another forum or something, but when in the same one on the same page it is usually pretty darn easy to find.

Edited by carleenp
Is there a way to merge the two threads? I've seen that on some other boards, seems like a good way to handle it.

Yes, I have seen merged threads here before. When one or both are short it works pretty well, but when they get long, it can throw things off when they are merged and make many comments seem out of context.

IMHO I would rather have the dupe'd thread closed than tying to track the parallel threads. On occasion, the duplicate threads seem to each carry a different perspective on the same topic, but not that often. Usually, it ends up as redundancy. My observation is that the mods close threads for valid reasons, with very very rare exceptions of course.

My point is that, the current discussion, in this case: Geocaching and Romance, was not the same as the two other similar topics that I backtracked back to.

The merging idea is a great one.

And about the SC threads. I stopped reading those days ago because they were so alike. With that, I can see the point, alot of modding I see here is done correctly, just a few cases that struck me funny.

IMHO I would rather have the dupe'd thread closed than tying to track the parallel threads.  On occasion, the duplicate threads seem to each carry a different perspective on the same topic, but not that often.  Usually, it ends up as redundancy.  My observation is that the mods close threads for valid reasons, with very very rare exceptions of course.

My point is that, the current discussion, in this case: Geocaching and Romance, was not the same as the two other similar topics that I backtracked back to.

The merging idea is a great one.

And about the SC threads. I stopped reading those days ago because they were so alike. With that, I can see the point, alot of modding I see here is done correctly, just a few cases that struck me funny.

How about some of these then?

Love And Geocaching? Can It Happen

Geo-Love

Romance though geocaching?

Geocache dating?

Geodating/mating-any stories?

Geodating

Real Life Dating Story? Anyone meet their mate though geocaching?

Edited by Mopar

Merging only works when a thread is new, otherwise they come across as jumbled and don't make sense. I don't encourage the moderators to merge threads.

Not all threads are locked because they are duplicates, at times they are locked for other reasons. (i.e. inappropriate content, Off Topic...) Threads that are locked as duplicates we do our best to post the link to the other thread, at times we forget or for whatever reason may not see it as necessary or appropriate.

For those that have had difficulty using the search feature, here is the help topic on how to use the search feature. It may help you with your searching:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...&CODE=01&HID=10

Now if you feel it isn't your responsibility to use the search feature, then you will find yourself occasionally frustrated when we close a topic and don't leave a link.

Last post in respective threads:

Mar 8, 2004

Feb 5, 2004

Jul 24, 2004

Feb 28, 2005

Jan 21, 2005

Nov 30, 2004

Jan 21, 2004

Now, someone should go, lock all those, and not lock the Geocaching and Romance.

My point is complete.

-

LOL, I felt bad...

Edited by Marcie/Eric
Or, one could read the existing threads, find the one that most matches what one wants to say, and post a reply to it. No harm in bumping an old thread.

Of course, I have seen people whine about thread bumping as well, so I guess there is no pleasing all the people all the time.

Two more excellent points.

Another note: I always try to bump up a similar subject. I use the search feature. It wasn't my thread.

Here's my excellent related thread on the subject: Other side

I just wanted to make a point, and rant a little. Overmoderation irks me. But I don't pay the bills.