Kettlecache?

I have the utmost respect for the Salvation Army... but a KettleCache? :laughing:

I understand that it's going to raise funds for the Salvation Army... but a KettleCache? :laughing:

I'm glad to see some corporate sponsorship of geocaching, such as last year's Jeep promotion, but non-profit organizations?

I would be interested in hearing from others about what their first impression was when they saw that the Salvation Army was sponsoring geocaching, yet charging a $150 entry fee in order to be a participant of their contest.

http://www.kettlecache.com

I have to assume they are paying sponsorship fees, since in the past Groundspeak has stated that they don't want to get involved with collecting funds for any one particular charity... remember all the flack after the Tsunami?

I'm not being critical one way or the other, I just thought it was odd to see the Salvation Army being involved with geocaching.

Is there a cache listing you're referencing?

Nope. I just assumed this promotion would be similar the the Jeep promotion since they have bought advertising on the site. Once again, I'm not taking sides one way or the other. I'm just curious about what others think about the concept of KettleCache.

Huh. I didn't get that impression from your original post. But ok. Opine away.

What impression did you get and why so defensive? I saw the Groundspeak logo on their site and the advertisements on your site so I naturally assumed they were a paying sponsor. As a paid sponsor and since it involves geocaching I decided to discuss it with my fellow geocachers.

BTW, I am also a sponsor since I have a premium membership and promote Groundspeak through the use of web sites. I will state as I did before that I thought it was odd that the Salvation Army was sponsoring geocaching, but I guess it's a great way for them to raise funds.

What impression did you get and why so defensive?

Not at all. Seems you're a bit on the defensive side though. Just pointing out that your original post seems more opinionated than you let on.

A local chapter of the Salvation Army is creating a geocaching event and purchased advertising on the site. Is that what you wanted answered? It seemed obvious since it was in the banner area of the site.

Not at all. Seems you're a bit on the defensive side though. Just pointing out that your original post seems more opinionated than you let on.

Nope. I'm not defensive at all. My original post did show a bit of shock since I had never seen a non-profit group sponsor an activity here before now.

A local chapter of the Salvation Army is creating a geocaching event and purchased advertising on the site. Is that what you wanted answered? It seemed obvious since it was in the banner area of the site.

Yes it was obvious, that's why I brought it up for discussion <duh>. Of course I'm just a mere mortal-geocacher and not as wise as those that run and maintain this web site so I guess you must have thought that it wasn't obvious to me :laughing: Golly gee, it seemed like a good topic of discussion. I never dreamed that it would cause you so much angst.

From what I read, it's just a local salvation army group putting together a geocaching type competition.

They're not "sponsoring" geocaching. They just bought advertising on the site. It's like Magellan's yearly geocaching contest. They may or may not buy advertising on this site, but if they did, it wouldn't necessarily mean that one group is sponsoring the other. Sure, the advertisers our "sponsoring" the site by buying ads but still.

In my opinion, I think it's a cool idea. Obviously Jeremy is okay with it, so I am too. If it weren't so far away, and the entrance fee wasn't $150, I'd probably do it, just to say I did...

From what I read, it's just a local salvation army group putting together a geocaching type competition.

They're not "sponsoring" geocaching. They just bought advertising on the site. It's like Magellan's yearly geocaching contest. They may or may not buy advertising on this site, but if they did, it wouldn't necessarily mean that one group is sponsoring the other. Sure, the advertisers our "sponsoring" the site by buying ads but still.

In my opinion, I think it's a cool idea. Obviously Jeremy is okay with it, so I am too. If it weren't so far away, and the entrance fee wasn't $150, I'd probably do it, just to say I did...

That is also as I see it.

They're not "sponsoring" geocaching. They just bought advertising on the site

Isn't that what sponsors do? I always thought sponsors bought advertisements, made donations or similar in exchange for some form of exposure.

Once again, I just thought it was interesting that a non-profit group such as the Salvation Army would use geocaching as a way to collect donations and that such a group would pay for sponsorship on geocaching.com

I'm not judging or critical about the pros and cons, I just thought it was interesting and worthy of discussion. Apparently I was incorrect and it's not worthy of discussion.

However, Jamie Z did use this thread to make a good point that the SC folks should use this as a positive of geocaching in their efforts to defend the sport/hobby in SC.

Along with the 5,513.00 grand prize there are other sponsers who are giving away prizes......

"Many of the kettles have been sponsored by some of the great corporate partners we are fortunate to associate with. They have donated valuable prizes that are will be available to only those people who make it to their cache. Some might be by raffle; some might be by first-to-find, some might have a prize for everyone who makes it to the cache. You'll have to compete to find out. "

ie... Back Bay getaways, Fancy Media, Wild river Outfitters, Blue Ridge Mountain Sports And others.

So, whats my point? I just thought it could be worth entering even at 150.00 per team.

I don't understand the TB situation though. There are supposed to be 100 TB's but there are only 70 listed. 3 of them started in California the rest in Virginia.

Help me understand! Please!

~Shaggy~

It is an affair you have to pay to attend. So since it is in Virginia I guess I'll pass. But what ever it is it is paying event. If they pay GC.com to advertis/sponser etc... then GC.com can use that money to buy some new hardware etc... and then folks can quite complaining about slow service on Sunday nights. GC.Com is a commercial enterprise and some folks seem to forget that.

cheers

The only new types we've added are geocoins for Geowoodstock and the German Geocoin.

Sorry for this being off topic and will post anew if asked:

Does the german coin symbol have to be identical to the USA coin? Haven't seen the Geowoodstock one yet but i hope that different also.

Back on topic:

Any good publicity for GC is good for all of us. If they want to pay to place something here than they must like what we are doing and what we stand for. This will go a long way in the world of public opinion and dispell some nasty rumors that we are nothing but a bunch of holigans out running around cemtaries at night with no respect for the dead. If i was able, i would love to form a team and travel to this event. Sounds like fun to me.

I think you are using the term 'sponsoring' a little loosely.

Wow, yet another jewel of wisdom & insight. :(

They apparently bought adspace (which I can't seem to find) and used the Groundspeak logo on their page.

They also are launching some really nice little TBs.

I don't see a huge GC.com promotion ala Jeep, nor do I see any caches placed on GC.com that would violate any normal listing guidelines.

For these reasons, I don't really see them as a huge sponsor. If anything, GC.com has given them a bit of sponsorship.

I'm so sorry that you could not understand my point of view from my original post. I'll try to flesh them out for you from now on. :D:rolleyes:;)

I think it's an interesting type of fundraiser, that's for sure. I actually wish it were closer to home or a national event so it would be easier to participate in. If they get 150 teams to participate, that's $22,500.00 right there.

There is a group of 4 of us here in GA that is actually considering paying the $ to enter as a team. We're just not sure if we want the added expense of 2 nights in VA and the gas to/from. So we're just in the discussion phase now. Sounds like it would be a fun event to partake in.

I'm aware of both of those, I just can't find the Salvation Army's ad.

I'm really not being clear enough in this thread. I will try to work on it. :rolleyes:

The ad pops up as one of the rotating banners on the left side of the screen on the gc.com site.