Caching Software For Mac?

Okay, I'm a cacher and I use a Mac.  I found SimpleGPS, which makes it easy to download waypoints to my Magellan, but I'm curious if there are any other useful apps out there for Mac.

I'm looking at adding a PDA to my caching arsenal as well, so any related Mac tools that would help with that would be cool, too.

what settings do you use for transfering files with mac,I'm using the new explorist 600 I have the magellan and have several communication settings, v1.5apa or v1.5 xte or v2.1gsa. if I put i into file transfer the files pop up on the desktop which is nice but how do you get simplegps to read from unit.

thanks

flir67

Edited by flir67

Dollars to donuts that if you use MacGPSBabel to write files of type "magellan" to that drive that pops up and name them "whatever.upt" you'll be able to select that folder of user waypoints on the GPS and off you go.

Forward compatibility in GPSBabel. Ha!

Edited by robertlipe

I've got an old Keypsan USA-19 USB/Serial converter, that SimpleGPS recognizes. I can then just dump the .LOC files directly into my GPS315 through that. Actually works well, as long as you tell SimpleGPS to look for the converter.

Of course, I'm going to have to tell my PocketQueries to run .GPX files as well as soon as I pick up a PDA, so I can get the descriptions as well . . .

Dollars to donuts that if you use MacGPSBabel to write files of type "magellan" to that drive that pops up and name them "whatever.upt" you'll be able to select that folder of user waypoints on the GPS and off you go.

Forward compatibility in GPSBabel. Ha!

i'll give it a a shot. simplegps for mac, I could never get to recongize the explorist except on the first time I run it.

Sadly, probably the best Mac software to get for geocaching is Virtual PC.

I disagree completely. I do almost everything with native Mac software. I use MacGPS Pro for transferring waypoints to/from my GPSr. It reads GPX files directly, but if I need to do any other manipulations on GPX files I use gpsbabel. (I use the command line version of gpsbabel, but there's a version with a Mac UI.) CacheMate is great for paperless caching, and there is a Mac UI wrapper for the converter tool called MacCMConvert.

The only thing I use Virtual PC for is running Garmin's MapSource software, which is the only way I can install maps on my GPS V. If Garmin weren't so stubborn about not supporting Mac users (they not only won't do a Mac port themselves, they won't allow a third party to do it either), I'd be able to throw away Virtual PC completely.

Slightly off topic, but there is a cache in the Los Angeles area that you can only see if you are using a Mac.

I was at a recent "Paperless Caching" event in San Diego and Parsa, who had a Mac and was explaining programs for the Mac, was the only one in that room full of laptops with wireless connections to the Internet who could get the coordinates. :blink:

There was a little message on the page saying:

"Cache Different" and a snipe about not sharing with PC users. B)

Yes, but a lot of the external apps that people use with it are Windows apps (GSAK, etc.)

I was under the impression that Cachemate would use the .gpx files unconverted, but from what I've been reading you need to doctor them a bit first.

That was the main gist of my question . . . Can you get a full cached listing into Cachemate without external software, and if not are there any apps that will do it on a Mac?

Slightly off topic, but there is a cache in the Los Angeles area that you can only see if you are using a Mac.

I was at a recent "Paperless Caching" event in San Diego and Parsa, who had a Mac and was explaining programs for the Mac, was the only one in that room full of laptops with wireless connections to the Internet who could get the coordinates. :laughing:

There was a little message on the page saying:

"Cache Different" and a snipe about not sharing with PC users. :laughing:

So which cache is it?