Log book entries and website logs

Guest LazyLeopard

Guest LazyLeopard

Just from the few caches I've logged so far I've noticed that there are often many more entries in the log book than there are logs on the cache page. That set me wondering:

What proportion of cache finders record their visit in the log book, and what proportion record their visit on the cache page?

------------------

Purrs... LazyLeopard

Guest Hamster

I have not researched this topic myself on caches I visit, however I have noticed the same thing. On my own cache, I recently went back and looked at the cache. There were 14 online log entries and 20 in the log book! Not sure whats up with that, perhaps some people don't want to go though the hassle of logging into Geocaching and or creating a user account, but want to go caching.

Guest rgerman95

Well, All I know is that without posting to the on-line log, the job just isn't finished. icon_wink.gif

Course, I always fill in the log book after I find a cache. But it just seems that the on-line log (and a keyboard as opposed to the stub of a pencil), brings out the "writer" in me. My on-line logs tend to be much longer and more detailed.

Besides, I find that its warmer and more comfortable sitting inside at the 'puter on these chilly winter days. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Rich in Western Pennsylvania

N 40 33.029

W 079 59.408

Guest rgerman95

Well, All I know is that without posting to the on-line log, the job just isn't finished. icon_wink.gif

Course, I always fill in the log book after I find a cache. But it just seems that the on-line log (and a keyboard as opposed to the stub of a pencil), brings out the "writer" in me. My on-line logs tend to be much longer and more detailed.

Besides, I find that its warmer and more comfortable sitting inside at the 'puter on these chilly winter days. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Rich in Western Pennsylvania

N 40 33.029

W 079 59.408

hello everyone

I had more fun this past weekend, with my son looking for four caches. We found all four and were going to try to make our own cach during his Christmas break.

When we got home I logged on and went to geocaching.com, then went to my cache page too log the cache we found and I read the instructions, but it's not clear to me. I need to ask a very novice question. Where do you or how do you post a picture of a cach that you have found? Any advice would be very much appreciated!!

I did e-mail all four of the people who put out the caches we found. icon_smile.gif

hello everyone

I had more fun this past weekend, with my son looking for four caches. We found all four and were going to try to make our own cach during his Christmas break.

When we got home I logged on and went to geocaching.com, then went to my cache page too log the cache we found and I read the instructions, but it's not clear to me. I need to ask a very novice question. Where do you or how do you post a picture of a cach that you have found? Any advice would be very much appreciated!!

I did e-mail all four of the people who put out the caches we found. icon_smile.gif

Guest ClayJar

For those of us who plant really challenging caches, people who don't log online often come across as only half-cachers. The last time I went and checked on one of my caches, it was a two hour trip each way and a seven hour, 21.5 mile hike (I *did* take the long way, of course). If you don't log online, I'll never notice you.

Also, I routinely go back and read the logs on caches I've already found. There's no way I'd go to most of them again (I don't particularly care for park-and-trade caches), but I find it really neat to go and read what people have been writing. (And sometimes it even gets me to go out and maintain someone's cache for them if the logs are sounding like it's degraded since being planted.)

Not logging online is perfectly legal, but when you log online, you contribute to the geocaching community and make the whole thing a better place. (Isn't that worth the tiny inconvenience?)

Guest EraSeek

quote:
Originally posted by Twoz:

icon_smile.gif

Once you log in don't go to My Web Page but go to the cache page of the cache you found, then Select> Log a Find at the top right of the page, Select> Found It, Not Found, or Other, then enter your comments, and hit the Submit button at the bottom of the page. Once it accepts this it gives you the option of going to that page again. Do that, and at the bottom of your log entry you will see (UPLOAD IMAGE). Click that and upload the image. The photo needs to be under 100kb to accept it. icon_smile.gif

123887_500.jpg

Guest EraSeek

quote:
Originally posted by Twoz:

icon_smile.gif

Once you log in don't go to My Web Page but go to the cache page of the cache you found, then Select> Log a Find at the top right of the page, Select> Found It, Not Found, or Other, then enter your comments, and hit the Submit button at the bottom of the page. Once it accepts this it gives you the option of going to that page again. Do that, and at the bottom of your log entry you will see (UPLOAD IMAGE). Click that and upload the image. The photo needs to be under 100kb to accept it. icon_smile.gif

123887_500.jpg

Guest glenn95630

If the finder does not log on the web page then they are being selfish and egocentric. The hider puts all the effort into hiding the cache, the finder should show his/her appreciation of this effort by making the web page log.

I put finders who don't log on the web page in the same category as litterbugs... they expect others to do the work while they are unwilling to do things that are inconvenient.

Here's one legitimate reason there may be more logs in the logbook than online... I recently took some friends caching with me to introduce them to the sport. We all, 3 of us, signed the logbook, but only I logged it online because my friends do not have user names here on Geocaching.com, YET!

I strongly suspect however that they will have user names soon as I know one of them will be finding a GPS unit under the Christmas tree (a little elf told me). At that time I'll furnish them with copies of the cache pages for the caches we visited, complete with our field notes, so they can log their finds online.

That's just one example... I've taken friends with me on several occassions, I've also taken kids with me who REALLY enjoyed the adventure and have signed the logbook but do not have computers or internet access.

So I guess I have indirectly contributed at least a dozen or so of those 'extra' log entries myself.

Guest ClayJar

The cardinal rule of geocaching is: If you take something, you must leave something. Everything else is optional. Sure, it makes everything much more pleasant for hiders and readers, but it is indeed optional.

(Of course, seat belts used to be optional, but that didn't mean that you should've just ignored them then, either.)

Guest mikechim

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

...Not logging online is perfectly legal, but when you log online, you contribute to the geocaching community and make the whole thing a better place. (Isn't that worth the tiny inconvenience?)

I agree. The most important reason to do it is out of respect to the individuals who placed the cache. I personally put a good deal of time and effort into my cache's and it makes it worth while to know that people are out there enjoying them, yes I would find out eventually when I checked on them but I only do that every couple months. It's nice to get the email that someone has located your cache. Even better yet to be able to read the adventure they had finding it.

In addition, logs can help others get a better idea of what the cache is like.

I don't even want to look in our cache log books! I've convinced myself that there's a **whole bunch** of people that didn't log their find online, only at the cache site:

My hidden caches (bk11)

You have hidden 5 cache(s) so far.

10/20/2001 Garvin Gawk (Minnesota) (Last: 11/17/2001) 26 day(s) ago.

10/6/2001 Hellquist Hollow (Minnesota) (Last: 10/7/2001) 67 day(s) ago.

9/28/2001 Root Roll-Up (Minnesota)

9/8/2001 Trout Trot (Minnesota) (Last: 9/26/2001) 78 day(s) ago.

8/23/2001 Charity Cache (Minnesota) (Last: 9/23/2001) 81 day(s) ago.

:)

Brenna, Geocaching In Minnesota

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by bk11:

Yeah, that's right! We got one that nobody's even logged yet. And it's my favorite one!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Sorry, even *I* can't justify driving from Louisiana to Minnesota for a 1.5/1. Of course, if I can get in on an iteration of A Prairie Home Companion, maybe it would be worth a trip from Wisconsin, and I could justify the Wisconsin trip as visiting relatives (and getting close enough for PHC). icon_wink.gif

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by bk11:

Yeah, that's right! We got one that nobody's even logged yet. And it's my favorite one!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Sorry, even *I* can't justify driving from Louisiana to Minnesota for a 1.5/1. Of course, if I can get in on an iteration of A Prairie Home Companion, maybe it would be worth a trip from Wisconsin, and I could justify the Wisconsin trip as visiting relatives (and getting close enough for PHC). icon_wink.gif

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by arffer:

And... hitting some CacheCow caches and joinging us for dinner, remember???

Well, of course, that would be included. icon_biggrin.gif

Incidentally, is it going to be icy/snowy week after next? I imagine it is, eh? (I don't have the vehicle or experience for winter driving.)

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 14 December 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by arffer:

And... hitting some CacheCow caches and joinging us for dinner, remember???

Well, of course, that would be included. icon_biggrin.gif

Incidentally, is it going to be icy/snowy week after next? I imagine it is, eh? (I don't have the vehicle or experience for winter driving.)

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 14 December 2001).]

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

[bIncidentally, is it going to be icy/snowy week after next? I imagine it is, eh? (I don't have the vehicle or experience for winter driving.)[/b]

Hah! Not this Winter! Its been in the 50's-60's the last few weeks, I've heard some of the golf courses have re-opened. One frost so far I can think of. It was colder back in early October. Cachers are taking advantage of the warm weather...

I would just like to *proudly* announce that THREE (out of five) of our caches were found yesterday! That's what a 40° winter day in Minnesota will do I guess! And in one of the logs it mentions that there *was* a visit by a non-geocacher, he signed the book and left something... I'll have to go check that out!

The only other logs we've seen by non-cachers were at Little Castle... one log was made by a person metal-detecting, and one was made by someone who was (ahem) relieving himself in the woods.. heheh.

Well anyway, thanks ERH-in-WI, you made my day!! Here's the ones he found:

Garvin Gawk

Charity Cache

Hellquist Hollow

Root Roll-Up is still a BIG FAT V!! I can't believe it. :)

Brenna

Bump On A Log