Bridgeton Covered Bridge

What a shame, As a young Naval Aviation Cadet at Navy Flight Prep School in Greencastle I saw my first covered bridge in that area. This was over 60 years ago. I love covered bridges. Finding a cache nearby would be a bonus. Dick,W7WT

Edited by W7WT

I live a heck of a long way away from USA, but one of my dreams, as a photographer, has been to do a trip to photograph your beautiful contry and make an effort to make a few pics of the covered bridges.

These, as far as I know, are unique to America, part of the heritage of the country and a fine example of the craftsmanship prevalent in the time when these amazing structures were built.

That someone could even think about burning one down, let alone actually doing the deed, is completely and utterly beyond me.

I sincerely hope that the perpertrators are apprehended, that they get very heavily fined, spend a good amount of time in jail and have to contribute heavily (financially or physically) in rebuilding the bridge.

We live in Vigo county (next to Parke Co.) and woke up to this news. About 2-3 years ago ( I think) another bridge right outside of Bridgeton was burned down as well. It makes me sick to think that people get a kick out of watching something this old and full of history burn to the ground (or creek in this instance). Just think about who all has crossed that bridge over the last 100 years or so? You can't get that history back. I know they are going to hold a meeting about rebuilding the bridge, but it will never be the same. :D

BTW- the guy the have as a person of interest was found under another Covered Bridge in Mansfield, not to far from Bridgeton. They haven't charged him yet, but if he is the one who set the fire, then I bet he was going to burn down the Mansfield one as well! ;)

Read the story. Doesn't appear to be a geocacher at this point. I'll continue monitoring and provide an update if this status changes. If this were to eventually turn out to be a cacher, the game is toast. That would be very very sad.

In the meantime let's get those checkbooks open, k?

"The owner of the Bridgeton Mill, which sits right next to the bridge, tells us he's had hundreds of people asking how they can help.

"There's just so much interest. We've gotten calls from New York, from Florida, from all over. You know, it's just touched a lot of people," says Mike Roe, Owner of the Bridgeton Mill.

There are several ways you can help out.

You can donate money at any Old National or First Financial Bank branch in care of the Bridgeton Covered Bridge Association.

And next Thursday, Action 10 News will hold a "Building a Bridge Day".

All day, we will accept bridge rebuilding donations in front our our studios at 918 Ohio Street and in front the Old National Bank branch in Rockville.

We'll accept donations here in Terre Haute from 5:30 a.m. until 6:30 p.m.

Please help us build a bridge by chipping in a few dollars."

Edited by Team cotati697
Shouldn't this be in off topic? Sure, the OP mentions a cache nearby, but the topic isn't really about the cache now is it? :D

In your own words:

Discussing whether something is on topic or not in a thread is poor form, and off topic to the thread. If you don't like a thread, report it or ignore it.

:DB):D

Shouldn't this be in off topic? Sure, the OP mentions a cache nearby, but the topic isn't really about the cache now is it? B)

In your own words:

Discussing whether something is on topic or not in a thread is poor form, and off topic to the thread. If you don't like a thread, report it or ignore it.

B):D:D

Ok, so it just doesn't apply in my threads then? Got it :D

:D yes they are going to rebuild the bridge. IN ject over 2 weeks of collecting money they have raised@ $23,000. Bridgeton is have a bean dinner saturday for the efforts it starts at 11am and runs till the beans are all gone. One of the people that is one the rebuild the bridge committee works for me. I will keep anyone posted if they are interested. Also that is not the same jesse payne as the website hed has spent the last couple of years in the Indiana department of corrections. That place is alot like Indiana State University but cheaper. (I can say that i graduated from ISU in 98 B.S. criminology) :lol: