Pocket Query Suggestion

TheAprilFools

I have a couple of suggestions that I think would improve the Pocket Query system.

1) Add an option to include only caches where the status has changed within one week (say between Pending, Active, Inactive and Archived).

Once a week I usually build a database of the local caches using multiple PQ's and combine them using GSAK, and would like to have a way to keep it up to date during the week. While I can get some of the new and inactive caches using the "Updated in the last 7 days" filter, this reports every cache that is logged which greatly cuts down the queries radius and it does not tell me that a cache had been archived.

2) Name gpx file after the name of the query.

If I have a pocket query called "Close to Home" it generates a GPX file with some random number as the file name. It would be more usefull if the file name was something like "Close_to_Home.gpx", that way it you could identify it once its extracted from the email.

3) Increase Query Limit to 1000.

A lot of the new GPSr's can store more than 500 way points and here in the SF bay area I have 10 queries set up to get the most of the more than 4000 caches in the bay area and there is a lot of overlaps and gaps. If the queries were bigger I would not need to set up as many so the amount of resources would really not be that different. You could balance the bandwith issue by requiring that the gpx files be sent out as a zip files.

Thanks for listening.

Joe (aka Blanston12)

Edited by Blanston12

Hi Joe,

Many of these have come up before but I'm to lazy to Markwell them, I know someone else will though. That being said,

1) Add an option to include only caches where the status has changed within one week (say between Pending, Active, Inactive and Archived).

Interesting idea (after I figured out what you meant with the example). I'm going to say that you shouldn't be getting any pending caches in a query and I'm pretty sure they don't want to send out archived in GPX but a tick that gave you caches that changed status of Active/Inactive would be decent.

2) Name gpx file after the name of the query.

This I know has come up before I think it's on the list of things to do but I don't think there's any hurry to do it. If you look in the subject line of the e-mail, it will tell you which PQ it is. (I know, that doesn't exactly do what you want but it is something.

3) Increase Query Limit to 1000.

This one I know they're going to say there is no plans to change it. Run 2x as many queries to get what you need. (I know this isn't the answer you want but I'm betting it's what they'll tell you.) Personally, I would be fine with 1000 but then again, I don't even have 200 finds so what do I need that many caches at one time for.

Hi Odragon,

Thanks for the response, to clarify what I was trying to get at:

I really don't want to see any pending caches, just when they change from pending to Active.

As for the Archived caches, I don't need to see all the archived caches, just those that have gone away since I ran my bulk queries in the beginning of the week. If a cache has gone from Active directly to Archived there is no way to know its gone without rebuilding my list from a fresh set of pocket queries. If we only showed caches archived in the last week and only if this option is turned on, that would do the job.

Now if there were a restriction that would not allow a cache to be archived unless it has been inactive for a week, that would do the job also.

Nice list of “would like to haves”. I’d like to see in pocket query applications, additional search criteria called “cache owner”. I can not find an efficient means to dl caches owned by a specific hider, e.g., I want all the hides by “9Key” or “Sandbassking”. How difficult to add this on next revision? Perhaps there is already a way to do this. Any ideas? :huh: