Disc Golf And Geocaching

My own contribution to this genre is the Frisbee Fun Cache, which I adopted after the owner moved out of the area. I believe it's the first cache in Southwest PA to rely on triangulation. You need to visit several golf course tees (the more, the better) and then figure out where the cache is located, using the given distances.

There's a members-only mega-multicache in eastern Ohio that sounds like it uses all 18 holes. It's been found all of 11 times since being placed in October 2003, and no finds since November 2004.

I did a cache once, in California, that was next to a hole on a disk course.

But some friends and I maybe played a part in inventing disk golf. Back in 1972, before any of us had heard of such a sport (I did a search, and it appears the game materialized about that time), we set up an 18 hole disk course winding through several school and church yards. Then we advertised in a local newspaper that we were having a frisbee golf tournament with cash prizes (and beer). The turnout was tremendous; we had around 60 participants (in 1972). Later, we designed several more courses in other locations. In the early 90s, sanctioned courses with baskets began to appear in parks in the city of Indianapolis.

Of course back then there were no special golf disks and we used targets (usually a tree or a rock), not the baskets used today. We just played with the standard old frisbees. :blink::unsure:

GC5158. Haven't logged it yet but I know of a listed course pretty close to me that hasn't been logged. Keep meaning to run down there but keep not doing it.

I've been noodling for a while on an idea to combine caching and disc golf, or discs anyway, but haven't fleshed it out enough to want to post about it yet.

There was a cache in Ohio called "The Choice Is Yours" ... it was a mystery cache with 19 sets of waypoints and you guessed which one the cache was at.. 18 of them were the disc golf holes, the 19th was the cache..

There's also a locationless where you log disc golf courses.

I am an avid Disc Golfer (PDGA 14567). My first geocache hide now archived, was called "Not an Ultimate Adventure". The cache was a Disc with directions to play the Disc Golf course in New Brunswick, NJ. The other part of the cache was for anyone finding the cache to sign the disc and I was going to take the disc and use it in my 5th Disc Golf World Championships. Unfortunately I changed jobs and did not get to go to the worlds and use the disc.

My own contribution to this genre is the Frisbee Fun Cache, which I adopted after the owner moved out of the area. I believe it's the first cache in Southwest PA to rely on triangulation. You need to visit several golf course tees (the more, the better) and then figure out where the cache is located, using the given distances.

This cache uses trilateration, not triangulation ... triangulation would be if you provided a bearing to the final at each position. In this case you could also use SSS triangle math with the Law of Cosines to get an absolute waypoint ... true triangulation caches you can solve with just your gps by building a route so X marks the spot :lol:

There was a cache in Ohio called "The Choice Is Yours" ... it was a mystery cache with 19 sets of waypoints and you guessed which one the cache was at.. 18 of them were the disc golf holes, the 19th was the cache..

Anyone know the waypoint for this cache, tried finding it and couldn't. Just wanting to look at it. any help :unsure:

There was a cache in Ohio called "The Choice Is Yours" ... it was a mystery cache with 19 sets of waypoints and you guessed which one the cache was at..  18 of them were the disc golf holes, the 19th was the cache..

Anyone know the waypoint for this cache, tried finding it and couldn't. Just wanting to look at it. any help :P

where is this locationless cache at? I'df love to do it i visit TONS of courses

There was a cache in Ohio called "The Choice Is Yours" ... it was a mystery cache with 19 sets of waypoints and you guessed which one the cache was at..  18 of them were the disc golf holes, the 19th was the cache..

Anyone know the waypoint for this cache, tried finding it and couldn't. Just wanting to look at it. any help :P

where is this locationless cache at? I'df love to do it i visit TONS of courses

Here is the Disc Golf Virtual

Edited by Kidatheart
16 hours ago, bulcacher said:

This is an old topic! I love geocaching and disc golf. I haven’t combined them yet, but I should. There are some good places to put a cache on a couple of courses. I am also thinking about trying to dye a disc with the geocaching logo, but we’ll see. 

There's a course near one of our few remaining, and there's caches all around it (micros mostly).

I started with a Frisbee pro for "cover", and we found a few while bushwacking to caches.  That high grass in Summer and nada in late Fall thing...

We've since picked up a full set online with bag and can fill a good part of the day in the others that sprung up locally.

We hunt and fish while caching, so this was an easy add-on hobby...   :)

On 5/8/2005 at 12:32 PM, The Leprechauns said:

Cool thread bump.  I am one of just a handful of posters to the original thread who is still active.  My Frisbee Fun cache is still active, too!  It's now the third-oldest active Mystery Cache in Pennsylvania.  I think I've only needed to maintain it twice in all those years - once to replace a rubbermaid with an ammo can.

• Upvote 1

I'm a long time geocacher, but have recently started playing disc golf.  I think the two are very compatible.   Check your map and determine which hole it is near, and take a little bushwhack when you get to that hole.  I hope to set up a series of caches that feature the disc golf courses/holes as well.   Just be courteous to the other players that are around and beware of flying discs :)

• Upvote 1