How Many Gc'ers Are Tabletop Gamers?

Just curious as to how many people here also play CCGs and RPGs. I Guess I should include "german" style gaming. You know you have more than 10 board games at home, and play most of them as often as you can. We are talking beyond Monopoly, Scrabble, Sorry, and the like.

I would like to exclude gamers that use PCs or Video Game consoles. That seems to be less physical -- IE less likely to get up and go out to do something. But, if you are a rabid console gamer, you can let us know that as well.

Short story made shorter: Through a psuedo Role-playing game the Roleplaying Club started here on Campus (Kennesaw State U) I found out that the group also sponsored a GC club. Which was cool, as I found this out about a month after Geocaching ever entered my vocabulary.

You say "German" style games and Table Top Games. If you mean things like Settlers of Catan and Formula Dei, then sure. If you mean D&D or D20 games, not really here. But I've dragged many from the local Geocaching groups to play some diceless amber games and I've taken some Amber Diceless people out geocaching. Most interesting to me is that we're going to run a diceless game on the Friday night at the Midwest GeoBash in July. That should be fun.

I think the reason that RPG playing and geocaching isn't a common mix in the general community is something Jeremy pointed out in the CPU interview. The average age is nearly 40. The time to play games gets harder to find when you reach an age or time in life when other things take you time. I make a lot of tiime for caching and games. Not many people my age (30) have that luxury.

We're all over the tabletop games in our house. Catan (plus expansions), Empire Builder, Puerto Rico, Amun Re, a variety of Cheapass Games, Apples to Apples, Munchkin, Pirates of the Spanish Main, etc. have all made multiple appearances at our kitchen table.

As for myself, I'll play me the d20 when I have a group to play with, although it's been over a year since I've been able to do it in person.

I also enjoy painting miniatures, and I've seriously considered using minis as signature items.

Edited by Benhamtroll, The Shrink, & Rainbow Girl

I tried D&D but I always cheated. Maybe it was the timeline but the folks I played with would always have their heads in the gutter. Like "dude I'm like totally hitting on that elf at the bar" or "can I roll the die to see if she'll take off her top?"

I did play Risk in the earlier days but Scrabble is as close as it gets now.

What I did get into was MMORPGs and MUDs. I converted CircleMUD to a Star Wars themed MUD in the early 90's. But based on your first post that doesn't count so I'll stop.

I bet you'll find more video gamers (console and PC) than tabletop gamers who are into Geocaching. In my experience (several years manning network PC gaming at cons in WA, and knowing a decent amount of fannish people) the tabletop gamers are generally more into fantasy and are more likely to be in SCA, while the video gamers are generally more interested in the future and technology and are more likely to get a GPS. The video gamers I know often have GPS. The Ren crowd generally don't.

Never been into RPG or card games myself; even with video games, if I can't start killing something in 5 minutes I'm probably not going to be interested.

Board games rule though. Trivial Pursuit, Cranium, Scrabble, Clever Endeavor, Clue, Sorry, Pinocchio, Masterpiece (and not a board game, but Uno)--played tons of 'em growing up, and there's still no better way to spend a few hours w/ the fam.

I'm more interested to know: How many people here play Cribbage? Turns out several people I work with do, and most of them didn't realize that other people here played. So we play occasionally.

Count me in the yes column. I've played just about every type of game mentioned in here so far- RPG, CCG, tabletop, boardgames, TV video, computer, online etc. I currently play a bit of Heroclix now and then. One type I've never played is a LARP game- yet. One type not mentioned is board wargames, I've done a few of those too.

Count me in the yes column. I've played just about every type of game mentioned in here so far- RPG, CCG, tabletop, boardgames, TV video, computer, online etc. I currently play a bit of Heroclix now and then. One type I've never played is a LARP game- yet. One type not mentioned is board wargames, I've done a few of those too.

Ditto:

Oddly enough, I was, at one point in my life, working on a D&D module based on Candyland . . .

OMG, that's so great! :unsure:

I am into pretty much any kind of game. I'm currently only involved in geocaching and a twice-a-month game night (board games) at a friend's house.

Good to know a name for those... "German Games". I have a bunch of these and geek card games -- Settlers, Carcasone, Fluxx, Illuminati, Axis and Allies, Lunch Money, The Great Dalmudi, Giant Robots from Kung Fu Island, Ninja Burger, Iron Dragon, Munchkin, Chez Geek, etc.

I've table-topped a lot in the past, D&D, Shadowrun, World of Darkness games (especially Changeling), SLA, etc. And I've LARPed, too.

Then there are the millions of hours I've invested into computer gaming, and a little console gaming as well.

Luna

I agree with the above post on video game players more often than D&Ders. Something about the technology aspect. I currently have a number of active characters in Dark Age of Camelot. I actually don't really like MMORPGs but I do like the people who asked me to join them there. I've found a few aspects of the game that I do enjoy and that's made it good enough to keep playing.

To your point, I did play AD&D for a bit in high school. The people I played only tried to see if they could find a way to break out of the DM's storyline...and so it got lame very quickly since they weren't willing to play along. I started again just recently with some friends in grad school, but it fell apart because it's a lot harder to schedule now-a-days for that kind of weekend with everything else that comes with grad school and twenty-something life. I haven't even heard of "german" games or CCG.

But none of this really led to geocaching for me. I think the GPSr is more techno...and the general consumer is probably going to "have a GPSr...and then go geocaching" more often than "want to go geocaching...and so they get a GPSr". It'd be an interesting corollary to your query. I know I was the former.

We're all over the tabletop games in our house. Catan (plus expansions), Empire Builder, Puerto Rico, Amun Re, a variety of Cheapass Games, Apples to Apples, Munchkin, Pirates of the Spanish Main, etc. have all made multiple appearances at our kitchen table.

As for myself, I'll play me the d20 when I have a group to play with, although it's been over a year since I've been able to do it in person.

I also enjoy painting miniatures, and I've seriously considered using minis as signature items.

Apples To Apples is a great game, always get tons of laughs when groups play depending upon their sense of humour of course. And yes, we did name ourselves after the game! My Girl and I got together while playing... well after playing that game. It was a great ice breaker... and we pretty much used it to flirt back and forth. There is a long story behind that that I will spare you all from hearing.

As for other games... I have always been largely into computer role playing games, and traditional RPG's. Although I have not been able to play RPG's for quite some time now due to uninterested friends and time constraints. CRPG's have a lot to offer as far as thats concerned, most of the time you can just save and go if needs be.

I would tend to agree with the other poster who mentioned the theory that most CRPG players were more likely to be cachers. As many of them are techno geeks needing to have the latest and greatest gadgets. Myself included!!! So finding something such as geocaching, would be a great reason to buy all sorts of new toys.

I however discovered geocaching through photography, my friend and I were researching places to photograph when he stumbled across it.... Hrmmm... I guess that's another past time where gadget collecting is rampant....

Back to the OT

When we have the time now, we generally play games such as Apples To Apples, Chez Geek, Munchkin, Killer Bunnies, Guillotine, Poker and traditional board games, all games that take significantly less time than DND etc. As another poster stated. The older you get the less time you seem to have.

SIGH!

I suppose the OP is trying to find an interesting correlation between x and y, y being geocaching.

ok then

to answer the question, i'm not really a tabletop person.

have some of course, but don't play very often

I'm more likely to play a game on the computer like gloom, starcraft, or axis & allies (which is also one of the games I have a board for too, but considering it takes like an hour set up and then you need someone for a couple more hours to play out, the PC verision is so much easier)

Soudns like gaming and geocaching go hand in hand for many people.

I too love all kinds of games. About 5+ years ago we used to play a CCG game called Galactic Empires, which was an awesome CCG, but too bad the company went belly up. I'ld like to start playing it again as soon as my son gets a little older and is able to read fluently. Unfortunately he tries to get me to play games like Yugioh and Pokemon now, which just don't have the excitement of GE.

I also have shelves full of board games both new and old, and probably own 50+ decks of playing cards. Now it seems like geocaching is the main activity that we take part in and then it's usually card games like Rueber Rummy and various german card games too like 6 Nimmt. There's lots of good ones out there.

30 and still playing tabletop RPG. D&D, Rifts, Heros Unlimited, WoD... too many to name them all. Lots of board games too, when we can find players (so few good 2 players games around).

I miss the LARP and live-action games though, none of those to go to since we moved away from the big city. In the summer, I still get the urge to put on my chainmail shirt, grab my padded sword and go fight evil...

OK, so I'm not normal. Must be why I'm a geocacher :laughing:

30 and still playing tabletop RPG. D&D, Rifts, Heros Unlimited, WoD... too many to name them all. Lots of board games too, when we can find players (so few good 2 players games around).

Rio Grande has converted a number of their games to two-person card games (San Juan for Puerto Rico comes to mind), and there is a card game version of Settlers of Cataan. Cataan can be played by two people as well, but it defintiely changes the dynamic.

Maybe I'll put together a gaming cache as soon as I get back to Oregon. That'd be cool, I think . . .

I think the GPSr is more techno...and the general consumer is probably going to "have a GPSr...and then go geocaching" more often than "want to go geocaching...and so they get a GPSr". It'd be an interesting corollary to your query. I know I was the former.

funny, but for me it was reading about WAAS-enabling in popular science or some such, realizing how accurate these had become, and remembering geocaching from when i'd stumbled across an exposed letterbox a couple years ago.

i read the article, and went and bought my early christmas present the next day.

still having a blast and wondering what my next gpsr is going to be..

i was into D&D as a kid, Magic off and on for a few years, kids played CCG's, family of avid console gamers, and the ubergeek (me) who latches onto hobbies like this.

although, this one gets me WAAAAAY out of the house far more often than i probably should be.. ;)

never got into the tabletop combat systems, etc... too impatient for miniatures painting as well as i can't stand the fumes...

it's always funny to see just which kinds of interests have common points.

Board games and tabletop RPG when younger, MUDS and MMORPG later including co-running http://www.calloffate.com for MMORPG players, even though I have stopped personally playing.

Interested in your comment about PC players being less likely to be "outside"..generally true for the hardcore MMORPGers I think, I've bought up geocaching a few times in our forum.. out of nearly 3000 users, only 2 geocache casually. These guys spend as much time as possible in game.

Edited by maingray

I started caching in 2001, before I'd ever heard of Settler's of Catan, but in 2002 I was introduced to the game and it became something of an addiction for me. Evidently, I just have that kind of personality. :lol: Used to play three or four nights a week with some friends, and we don't play as much anymore, but still once in a while. Really enjoy that game. Got the seafarers expansion, as well as the 6 player expansion. Thought about cities and knights, but i like the shorter basic game.

bd